Active Topics

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Skype is exactly the same as in the generic firmware - the only place I've heard of it being disabled is India.

From looking at the global & UK firmware, there looks to be a number of config changes (things like internet radio stations - though I don't actually look to have the UK ones, so I'm not certain on this) and some extra scripts/config around WLAN. If I find time, I'll go through the diff and see what actual changes there are (there's a lot of gconf changes which come out just because the modified timestamp is different). A number of the changes look to be just cleanups/text clarifications which really ought to be in the global firmware anyway, so perhaps the UK team isn't actually speaking to the global team (which would explain a lot).
I was led to belive and from what I saw on my Vodafone 1.2 firmware compared to my 1.1 version the Skype Video faclity was disabled by Vodafone and somewhere on the Eforum they mentioned the differences. http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/61.../page__st__140 but were very coy saying nothing was changed but mentioned Skype was altered!! They also add Vodafone settings.

If you know how to activate the skype video calling on my Vodafone pr1.2 firmware let me know Id be real happy

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Leeds, UK
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
If you're trying to change the firmware variant, you'll need to change the SSU repository first (or add the global one) - I think it uses mr0 instead of 203 in the URL.
I've got this too, but I'm not trying to change the product code, just update! I got a text from Nokia saying I could update so ideally I should be able to!

is thier away to change the product code on the n900 so i can get the update i tried phoenix software but you seem to need usename and password to change it. just don't fancy flashing and loosing my setup..

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by andygee View Post
I was led to belive and from what I saw on my Vodafone 1.2 firmware compared to my 1.1 version the Skype Video faclity was disabled by Vodafone and somewhere on the Eforum they mentioned the differences. http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/61.../page__st__140 but were very coy saying nothing was changed but mentioned Skype was altered!! They also add Vodafone settings.

If you know how to activate the skype video calling on my Vodafone pr1.2 firmware let me know Id be real happy
Ah, the Vodafone firmware. Why is anyone still running that anyway? I'd recommend switching to the generic UK firmware instead (or the global firmware).

Originally Posted by Janniman View Post
I've got this too, but I'm not trying to change the product code, just update! I got a text from Nokia saying I could update so ideally I should be able to!
There isn't an update yet for UK users - Nokia have just messed up (again) in sending out the messages.

Originally Posted by jdave76 View Post
is thier away to change the product code on the n900 so i can get the update i tried phoenix software but you seem to need usename and password to change it. just don't fancy flashing and loosing my setup..
You don't need to change the product code - see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=63 for details on switching firmware OTA.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by badboyuk View Post
I dont see why people use the branded firmware or the uk/eu variant of the firmware. (unless you really love your network and like the extra content they add on).
Here's the mystery - the UK generic firmware is not tied to a network; it is generic. There appears to be no identifiable difference between it and the global generic firmware apart from an ID code. This is why those of us who have the generic UK firmware don't understand why there is a delay ...

oops, sorry, messaged the wrong thread

Last edited by scomic55; 2010-10-29 at 14:53.

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Here's the mystery - the UK generic firmware is not tied to a network; it is generic. There appears to be no identifiable difference between it and the global generic firmware apart from an ID code. This is why those of us who have the generic UK firmware don't understand why there is a delay ...
Looking at a diff between the last global & UK firmware, I'm even more confused. There's actually quite a lot of differences, most of which are utterly irrelevant - the names used to reference the default bookmarks change between the global & UK firmware, though the URLs are exactly the same; the XML code defining the internet radio stations uses a namespace in the UK firmware, but not in the global. I can see very little that's actually different, but a whole lot of stuff that's been changed for no reason whatsoever - are the UK firmware customisation guys just trying to make their jobs look more important?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jdave76 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of people worried about losing all their stuff from a reflash. I was one of those people until yesterday but I have to say I'm impressed with how simple it actually is to do. Here's what I did:

1. Used the built-in backup utility
2. Copied the backup onto my PC (it was around 7mb but I didn't need it in the end anyway)
3. I went here and followed the instructions to just flash the firmware in Windows (not eMMC).
4. Rebooted to a seemingly fresh install.
5. Restored the backup with the backup utility (all the files in MyDocs etc. were still there anyway)

The backup utility then restored all of my settings completely, aside from Nitdroid, but that's another matter. After it had restored the settings, conversations, contacts, etc. it told me it needed to reboot to get my apps so I did that, after downloading the latest versions of all of them (besides Ovi stuff) it was done. My widgets were back in place, my desktops were the same as ever and if my theme had been in the repository I bet that would have been back too.

I almost hate to say it but in this case it... Just worked. Hope that dispels a few worries for some people here, I have to say that I'm a pretty lazy person normally and I hate having to set things back up the way I like them so I was amazed at how little I actually had to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hterag For This Useful Post: