Active Topics

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Holland
I don't have the slightest clue about what I'm doing wrong. Any help is much appreciated!
And I am truly sorry for this enormous post..

I managed to get it working in Windows 7, but it seemed as if the connection was based on pure luck (it worked now and then, no idea why it did or didn't, same settings..). Since I wanted to dualboot XP and 7, I formatted the disk and decided I wanted to code on XP. Now it's not working at all.

First I installed Nokia OVI Suite 2.2.0.245 just for normal use. But it wouldn't sync.. it was stuck on "Preparing to sync contacts", and cancelling also took forever, so that didn't work.

Then I installed the Nokia Qt SDK (including Qt Creator 2.0.0) and installed all available updates from within Qt Creator. After that, I followed this page.

Maybe unnecessary, but I also installed PC-Connectivity_0.9.4.exe (installed all options). Before that, I installed Cygwin, including the specific packages indicated by the PC Connectivity setup.
(I thought this would be needed for the SSH key connection in Qt Creator).

I still had Mad Developer and the libqtm packages installed on my N900.
EDIT: OpenSSH Server was also still installed.

Everything set up properly (?), here come the screenshots!

Network Connections

LAN settings (N900 connection)

Mad Developer (Windows network)

Mad Developer (IP settings)

Mad Developer (developer password)

Qt Creator (build settings)

Qt Creator (run settings)

Qt Creator (Maemo Device Configurations)

Qt Creator (connection test)

- I tried exiting Nokia OVI Suite on system tray before starting the connection.
- I tried connecting with Windows Firewall disabled
- I've seen numerous (forum)pages after searching with Google, but no luck..

Is there a strict order of actions in connecting USB/opening Mad Developer/Qt Creator?
Do I have wrong settings somewhere?
Oh, and WLAN seems to be the easiest way, but that doesn't work either..

Can someone please help me with this?

Last edited by Berserk; 2010-08-18 at 11:56.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Have you checked that the SSH daemon is running on your N900? The "SSH Statusbar Switcher" package makes switching it on and off really easy, and is what I use for development.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot
I have installed it now, I'll try tomorrow! Time for some sleep :P my dad goes to work in about half an hour, and I'm still awake..

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
It looks like you're connecting with usb not wlan.
192.168.2.x sounds like usb in the lan setting

you should be able to turn off usb (I switch mine to mass storage in madde) and connect through ssh with ease.

Last edited by lostinmirkwood; 2010-08-18 at 04:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lostinmirkwood View Post
It looks like you're connecting with usb not wlan.
192.168.2.x sounds like usb in the lan setting

you should be able to turn off usb (I switch mine to mass storage in madde) and connect through ssh with ease.
If you look at the screenshot of the WinXP Network Connections window, it shows that the interface is indeed a USBNet connection, so I'd assume that's intentional. Also, from Beserk's second post, it sounds like the SSH daemon wasn't initially installed, which would fit.
WLAN is more convenient in some cases, but I tend to use a USB connection because otherwise I'd have to change the IP in the config every time I work on things at the university.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Hi,

you are using the version of mad-developer out of extras-devel. So maybe stick to the stable one in extras and try that one. In general mad-developer installs the ssh-server on the device automatically, and it should start up with the system start.

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies

@lostinmirkwood: I tried what you said, 'Usb Networking' on 'Mass Storage'. With that, I unplugged the usb cable and tried wlan, but that didn't work. With the usb cable connected, the N900 didn't have a usb0 IP (I chose 'PC Suite Mode').

@jaem: even with 'SSH Status: ON' in the status menu, it wouldn't connect
The 'USB connected' button in my status menu says 'Charging only'.

I reinstalled 'Mad Developer' (including 'OpenSSH Server') and 'SSH Status and Switcher', but no luck..
On a side note: of course I kept the developer password open in Mad Developer.

And yes, I used usb intentionally but I'd go for wlan anytime, as long as it works

All the settings seem allright.. I've got the tools and settings everyone else has, so I really don't understand this.
Could it be that installed extras-devel apps get in the way of this? I read that those are not always safe.

Originally Posted by danielwilms View Post
Hi,

you are using the version of mad-developer out of extras-devel. So maybe stick to the stable one in extras and try that one. In general mad-developer installs the ssh-server on the device automatically, and it should start up with the system start.

Daniel
I was typing my previous post while you posted.
I'll try that now, and edit this post with any updates, many thanks!

EDIT: for ease of reading, I'll make a new post.

Last edited by Berserk; 2010-08-18 at 13:29.

Originally Posted by Berserk View Post
Could it be that installed extras-devel apps get in the way of this? I read that those are not always safe.
We uploaded some days ago a newer version to extras-devel. It changes the way of configuring the usb-networking, as it starts a dhcp server for the usb-connection, so that you don't have to set up the IP on your host system. But it is not yet tested enough for extras-testing, so that it is still in extras-devel. So please use the stable version out of the extras repository and try that out. If you experience the same kind of problems we have to check further what is going wrong. But this would be my next step.

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Berserk View Post
I was typing my previous post while you posted.
I'll try that now, and edit this post with any updates, many thanks!
hehe...I added a new one while you were posting now I will wait until you've tested it