Active Topics

Notices

Hi !

Anybody knows the solution why eSpeak Caller says the phonenumebr in thousands instead of the name, when the name is correctly associated anyway and showed on the screen ?

Many Thanks for any help,

Andrew

Originally Posted by coolice View Post
Anybody knows the solution why eSpeak Caller says the phonenumebr in thousands instead of the name, when the name is correctly associated anyway and showed on the screen ?
It seems that eSpeakCaller only checks if the caller's number is an exact match with what's entered in the address book.

Thus, it doesn't recognize the number calling "040xxxxxx" when all my address book entries are in "+35840xxxx" international format.

The application should strip any leading zeroes and match that with the end of the number in addressbook.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by thnninen View Post
It seems that eSpeakCaller only checks if the caller's number is an exact match with what's entered in the address book.

Thus, it doesn't recognize the number calling "040xxxxxx" when all my address book entries are in "+35840xxxx" international format.

The application should strip any leading zeroes and match that with the end of the number in addressbook.
If this is the cause for "eSpeakCaller says the phonenumber in thousands"-bug then this can be easily fixed

Also thanks to everyone for great suggestions. I start adding them to future releases one by one

Arto

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arto View Post
If this is the cause for "eSpeakCaller says the phonenumber in thousands"-bug then this can be easily fixed
Probably isn't, but it's a fix for the "eSpeakCaller says the number even if the name is defined" - bug.

btw,

I already tried to replace the lines:

if line.startswith("TEL"):
nr = line.split(":")[1]
if nr != None:
if nr == number:
return fname

with:

if line.startswith("TEL"):
nr = line.split(":")[1]
my_num = number.lstrip('0')
if nr != None:
if nr.endswith(my_num)
return fname

that seems to correct the "040" vs +35840 problem for me at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to thnninen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Arto: your app is great. any way to make the voice louder though? I can barely hear it. Even when I'm using a ringtone that kicks in a split second after it says who's calling, the voice is not loud enough.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

You can also control the language of which Espeak uses. If I remember correctly -vfi parameter changes the pronounciation to Finnish. Finnish name sound quite wacky when pronounced in English

Check espeak documentation for your country code.

A gui selection for this would be also useful, although it already works with the command line parameter setting.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
someone needs to make an app/GUI that uses espeak !!

with all settings, pitch male female etc

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
someone needs to make an app/GUI that uses espeak !!

with all settings, pitch male female etc
I second that idea

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
Arto: your app is great. any way to make the voice louder though? I can barely hear it. Even when I'm using a ringtone that kicks in a split second after it says who's calling, the voice is not loud enough.
it's a command line parameter in espeak... IIRC (you'd have to check, though, by entering "espeak --help" in the terminal) it's -a and a numeric value between 1 and 20, with 10 being the default. you enter this in the last input field that's empty by default.

anyway, this is only half of the solution:
i found that i had to go to settings and change the volume of my ringtone so it's a little lower. the problem is that usually, you'll want to have both the ringtone and espeak to be roughly at the same level - the level you're comfortable with. doesn't work in practice. Either the ringtone isn't loud enough or it makes the spoken voice hard to understand.

Symbian has a solution for this:
the volume of the ringtone goes down just a bit during voice output. then it returns to normal until the caller name is spoken again.

i don't know if this would be possible in maemo - if one application could change the volume of the audio output of another application. because this is what espeakcaller would have to do: lower the volume of the ringtone before speech synthesis starts, then set it back to normal.

Tags
espeakcaller