Active Topics

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna
Hello everyone. Instead of a whiner/hater thread i want to create a cheerer/lover thread. Did it happen to you that you read about a functionality of the N900 that you didn't know before, because you didn't bother to read the manual?

Well, I did and who knows, maybe there is also cool stuff you didn't know about. Things i have only discovered after some time:

- You can actually hang up (silence) an incoming call by hanging up (turning the phone upside down).

- You can open the keyboard, press a button and it brings up contacts beginning with that letter (Yepp i didn't know that before).

- You can use the built in jabber IM functionality to use the facebook chat (reheheeally cool)

Thats the first three things i can think of. Other gimmicks?

The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to wongdong For This Useful Post:
Double tap the power button to lock the device is also cool. I use it all the time to lock it, whereas to unlock I generally 'slide to unlock' rather than use the dedicated switch.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to RafaLL92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by RafaLL92 View Post
Double tap the power button to lock the device is also cool. I use it all the time to lock it, whereas to unlock I generally 'slide to unlock' rather than use the dedicated switch.
HA! Didn't know that either The thread already paid of for me

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Romania
I discovered that you can turn the N900 while in desktop in order to go to the phone app. I use it each time I wanna call someone.

EDIT: I've just remembered this: while writing a SMS you'll have to lock Fn, then press "Sym" to bring up <> characters and more.

Last edited by sanki; 2010-03-19 at 22:36.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sanki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
on web pages or in messages swipe into the screen from the left and a little mouse pointer appears, tap the button and you can select/copy text on web page and messages!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post:
one thing i noticed today is the communication history for a contact. very nice. spans all communication methods.

one other thing i didnt 'get' until frecently is that you can have different preset sets of statuses so i have one for in the car which sets me offline for most except most critical accounts and i have one for home wifi where all accounts are set to available, etc. very handy.

i also just realized that while you are on home screen you can just start typing to look up contacts.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
I usually don't read manuals, but the pages below helps... so, I haven't 'discovered' the phone per se..

http://wiki.maemo.org/Category:Beginners
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Shortcuts_and_Gestures

For the flip phone to go to phone mode, you need to switch in on in the phone mode option first...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alexei For This Useful Post:
ctrl backspace to bring up the task switcher is nice.

ctrl shift x to bring up a terminal on the other hand is insanely awkward. Try it.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to amh For This Useful Post:
put both thumbs of either side of the desktop and release 1 thumb for quick desktop transition

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to nibbles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Los Angeles
When in the web browser hit the back space key to go to the last page.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jinlaca For This Useful Post: