Active Topics

So, let me make sure I understand what Gourmet is saying. I have been trying to get Gizmo on my N800 to coonect *directly* to my Asterisk server on the same subnet. I've been watching the Asterisk logs, and see no SIP registration attempts form my Gizmo/N800 combination, nor do I see any progress toward outbound call completion when an outbound call is placed from Gizmo using the 'secondary' account. Am I reading the postings in this group correctly, when I conclude that the Gizmo client on the N800 does not use SIP to connect directly to the secondary account, but rather causes the Gizmo servers to make that connectionn on its behalf?

If this is the case, what real SIP clients are currently working on the N800?

Unfortunately none other I believe, else we wouldn't be using Gizmo...

I know it's unbelievable after almost two years -- I keep seeing references to projects "being worked on", like Tapioca and some obscure command-line experimental stuff, but nothing actually available. But then there are a number of other unbelievable things about the state of vendor-supported maemo software : a linux platform that reboots at will, non-functional email and RSS clients, no calendar, no BT audio... Fortunately most third-party free software is better than that.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
has noone attempted to build linphone or port kphone to the n800? linphone works very well for me on the desktop, if anything it is overly featured in terms of configuration.

would be nice if those xten people could do a build!

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
Some people have tried this on the Zaurus with some success:

http://www.qtechinc.com/speaq.htm

I've sent them feedback to encourage an IT version. Maybe if a few more do the same, they'll oblige ...

I've had had gizmo running fine for a coupla weeks now on my N800, I use it for calling my girlfriend, on her landline in spain (I am in the UK).

No major problems, the only points I'd raise with it that the 'All Calls Free' seems an absolute pain to qualify for... I think you have to use their IM, and pimp their software to your friends everyday.

Not only that, but the person you want to call has to do the same, so in theory my calls to my g/f should be free (N800 to spanish landline) however because I'm deemed not 'Active' enough I have to pay for them, so would be nice if the free calls bit was a bit easier to achieve.

The only other thing that worried me was that I had to open some ports on my router at home for it to work, so am curious as to how well its going to work when I am say at an airport, where I dont have access to the router to port forward

What are other peoples experiences with using it on ad hoc wifi spots?

I have had my N800 for only a few days, but I had no trouble connecting to the free wi-fi hotspot at my local library.

I have been able to use Gizmo to talk with another Gizmo user (he has a Mac). Question: How does one delete calls from the call list? It is obvious on a Windows machine, but I see no way on my N800.

Originally Posted by tfm55x View Post
So, let me make sure I understand what Gourmet is saying. I have been trying to get Gizmo on my N800 to coonect *directly* to my Asterisk server on the same subnet. I've been watching the Asterisk logs, and see no SIP registration attempts form my Gizmo/N800 combination, nor do I see any progress toward outbound call completion when an outbound call is placed from Gizmo using the 'secondary' account. Am I reading the postings in this group correctly, when I conclude that the Gizmo client on the N800 does not use SIP to connect directly to the secondary account, but rather causes the Gizmo servers to make that connectionn on its behalf?

If this is the case, what real SIP clients are currently working on the N800?
I think this may be my question also.
I have voip account with voip.co.uk and was wondering if I could somehow enter details of that as second account on Gizmo and thereofore be in position of taking/making my landline calls on N800 or have I got the wrong end of voip?

cheers

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ cape cood
got to admit I am impressed with gizmo "secondary" sip thingy pointing to me asterisk server, makes and receives calls just fine so far. both pstn as well as my local extensions. would prefer iax but seems that will take some compiling effort on my part, fine.

would like it if gizmo supported dtmf, but really can't complain as it's
(a) free.
(2) easy-peasy install.

even more surprising, my old sipphone number from yonks is still valid thru gizmo. huh.

Currently, according to Gizmo's forums, the 770/800 client only supports out-of-band DTMF transmission—not in-band, which is what many voice menus require. Which is annoying as it means I can't use it to conduct TalkShoe broadcasts.

There might be a way around this, if one could get ahold of one of the little pocket touch tone dialers that used to be widely sold in gadget catalogs. Hold it up to the mic and let it generate the tones for you.

Only I wonder where on earth one could find such a thing anymore?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Rochester, NY
I am unable to get Gizmo to pull in my IM contacts is it says it can do... even when manually adding them they don't show up to chat with. I was hoping to get gizmo to be an alternative for pidgin, but it seems not to work that way.

However it's main purpose, to call people works fine, and is cheap.