Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
A first for me: on the train ride in from Montclair today, the fellow sitting next to me was another Internet Tablet user, which we discovered when I pulled out an N800 to work on. Having a particular interest in the Gizmo Project, he suggested we talk later, Gizmo to Gizmo, N800 to N800 (or maybe it was N800 to 770).

As it happens WiFi is conscientiously blocked where I work, so I'll have to try this later, perhaps tonight. But a visit to the Gizmo Project (from which I've been absent, lo this last half year) shows that versions for the N800 and the 770 are both available (not to mention the Nokia N80, one of the six or more WiFi-capable Nokia cellphones).

Gizmo, of course, is SIP-based VoIP, with free computer-based calls (that includes Internet Tablets) to other Gizmo users or any SIP-based software, such as Google Talk. This is as opposed to proprietary approaches like Skype.

The Gizmo Project's value-add is that it offers users the option to pay nominal fees to connect to landline and mobile phones. I've used Gizmo, and I've used Skype, and I've used Google Talk, and I've used Vonage, and I've used cellphones (Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile), and so on, and so on. (Landlines!) We all have. I know that pointing to another way to talk to people doesn't make your heart beat faster, even if it does use a non-proprietary protocol. And I can scarcely think of times when I've had fewer than 2 or 3 options available to make a call at one time or location. But ...

But Gizmo lets you talk using your Internet Tablet to anyone with any phone. Now. (Actually, dating back to July. Some months yet before Skype joins the fray.) That's a big step up from "talk to other people with Google Talk on their computer." Sometimes I'm so busy with getting somewhere, I don't see that the landscape has changed. Drastically.

Maybe Gizmo will make my heart beat faster after all ...
Read the full article.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I tested it on the N800 already, and reviewed it a long time ago. Still works great! I'm ThoughtFix there - give me a ring sometime.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
My point exactly! How is it possible that something this great is not talked about more?

Roger

After installing this, I have perpertual reboot screen.

It may have just been a coincidence that this was installed and the reboot issue began - as said, it is a very nice app.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I was never able to get Gizmo to work. Not on my laptop, not on my 700. Maybe I'll give it another shot on the N800...

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
I use Gizmo on Fedora Core 4, 5 and 6, Ubuntu 5.06, Windows 2000, XP and on the 770. It is a big install on the 770 so if you don't have the space, it will just die mysteriously. But after you get it in, it works really well. On the desktop, I had some issues with making sure it had a Bonjour agent (avahi is available in most cases) to play with but after that it worked like a charm.

My only two complaints:
1) There is an initial few second delay before you can hear anyone speak but I am told by the Gizmo devs that this is due to hardware speed limitations on the 770 slowing down the initial connection setup and there is not much that can be done about it. Hopefully the faster hw in the N800 has fixed that somewhat.

2) The UI deviates from the "tap to select and tap selected to activate" mode that most of the other apps use. This means that you have to double tap (something that is pretty hard to do on the 770) or tap and hold until a menu comes up. Not a big deal but still something I would like to see changed.

All in all, the sound quality is better than land-line but the stability of the connection is somewhere between land-line and mobile phone.

Roger, as Daniel mentioned Gizmo on 770 has been reviewed by some users months ago.
One major difficulty on 770, which prevented popularity of such applications, was the location of microphone and lack of support for a wired or wireless headset (still I'm at loss with Nokia promoting chat and Internet calling without providing adequate hardware/driver support).
Nonetheless, I'm one of those, who favor Gizmo (or any other SIP based one) vs. Skype; on an open platform, shouldn't we go for open standards too?

It does indeed work great. I leave for Costa Rica on Thursday, and I've used Gizmo on the N800 to make all my calls ahead. The calls sounded about on par with a cell phone, which is fine by me since that's all I use, even at work.

I am having one problem, for which I opened a ticket. DTMF isn't working. My PBX here at work isn't responding to my keypresses, nor is my bank's telephone banking system. Both work from a landline. (I haven't tried it from another gizmo install.) Anyone else seeing this?

Originally Posted by Jose_R.A.M View Post
After installing this, I have perpertual reboot screen.

It may have just been a coincidence that this was installed and the reboot issue began - as said, it is a very nice app.
Hmmm, now that you mention it, I've seen my N800 reboot several times in the last couple days, for no apparent reason. Maybe I'll uninstall gizmo to see if this is causing the issue......

Is that what you're describing, or is it worse than that (perpetual makes it sound pretty horrible)??

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Huh. My N800 rebooted a few times too, but not while I had Gizmo running. It's just when I had Gmail in a browser window and another page with a Flash ad. OI assumed there was a memory leak.