Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
just a idea guys. why dont you print out the nokia statement and also include the link to the nokia website where you got the state. give nokia the brokn phone and paper as evidence.

they seem ******ed. lol just like the company i work for lol

Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
Before concluding it to be phone's hardware fault, did you get a chance to check with another wall plug adapter? Could it be a problem with the wall adapter? I do not remember seeing any user having the usb problems show up within a day.
I see what you are saying, but I do not have another wall charger, and honestly, I am not / shouldn't be expected to have another wall charger.
how in the world can this happen, I just don't understand it...
one buys a brand new product, and it turns out to be broken... how in the world!

I also see another person having the same problem in here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...126#post539126

The port? I am not sure if it is the port! I can transfer files and charge thru USB-PC yet!
I am going towards a paranoia!

The Following User Says Thank You to ozdemrihan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by ozdemrihan View Post
Ok, I have read most of the posts here,
Here is my problem
I bought it off ebay, unopened, so, it is new, in the USA>
It was sold in the usa, not a knock off or anything.
So,
the first night was great, I got the AC charger working, it charged it, and then the morning, I used it and, voila,
the next night, AC doesn't charge it. It is like 50% left.
The usb charges it thru computer, and there is absolutely 0 damage on the AC charger or the USB cable, I just freaking opened the stupid case.
What the hell am I supposed to do now?
Is it AC charger, or the stupid hardware
I am updating to maemo 5 3,2 now, I thought it might fix it somehow, but I am really pissed off.
I tried 5V usb charger, and plug the cable in, it is still not charging like that, only computer charges it.
Jeez, I don't really want to call another consumer hotline.
Any suggestions?
A known issue?
May be this should be added to the poll.
Sounds like a faulty wall charger to me. If the phone is charging okay via the PC then the charging circuit is okay. The failure to charge with a 5V USB charger could be because it doesn't have the required wiring for the micro USB (the data lines need to be short-circuited for micro USB charging).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
has anyone in the uk managed to get a repair or replacment im going to a care center tomorrow and am crossing everything i can that they can repair it i love this device just one thing lets it down the poxy usb port everything else is great

yesterday this terrible thing happened to my phone and I called support. The representative wasn't surprised about this issue. He sent me a mail in label and I'm sending it in today. I asked him if they would fix it and he said it was a known issue and it would be fixed.
I'm scared though because if I get it back and its fixed but there are no changes in the design, I might sell it. I don't want to deal with this issue after my warranty has expired.
I'm still blown away by this horrible design flaw. If you look inside your charging port after it breaks off you can see that it is attached to the motherboard but with no support, at all. I'm almost certaint that they will break on most peoples phobes because all that's holding to the board is some glue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmandHammer For This Useful Post:
On the +ve side, I am glad to hear that your device appears to be covered by the warranty. Did you call Nokia USA care center? Your case could be the shining light for other users

Although I agree that this is a stupid design, I am almost certain that new devices should have the design flaw fixed. Good luck!

Originally Posted by ArmandHammer View Post
yesterday this terrible thing happened to my phone and I called support. The representative wasn't surprised about this issue. He sent me a mail in label and I'm sending it in today. I asked him if they would fix it and he said it was a known issue and it would be fixed.
I'm scared though because if I get it back and its fixed but there are no changes in the design, I might sell it. I don't want to deal with this issue after my warranty has expired.
I'm still blown away by this horrible design flaw. If you look inside your charging port after it breaks off you can see that it is attached to the motherboard but with no support, at all. I'm almost certaint that they will break on most peoples phobes because all that's holding to the board is some glue.

I called the customer service number, and yes I believe the new devices will have this fixed but what about all of us who pre ordered. This could blow up in nokias face.
And yes I am in the US, I will report back when I get it back to tell you guys what happened.

Originally Posted by ArmandHammer View Post
I called the customer service number, and yes I believe the new devices will have this fixed but what about all of us who pre ordered. This could blow up in nokias face.
And yes I am in the US, I will report back when I get it back to tell you guys what happened.
So, are only certain devices effected?
Mine feels sturdy, it is solid, but I am pretty pessimistic of its lifespan, if it does comeout, I wish that it would in a matter of weeks, not months...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I can say that after a few weeks my replacement N900 is holding up well. That's no guarantee that the micro USB root cause issue was corrected, but it's an encouraging indicator so far.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
I've read through the entire thread, and all I can think of is "I'm screwed".

I bought the N900 brand new, all original, but from Pacific Mall (a Chinese mall) in Toronto. So that pretty much means I have no warranty. That never bothered me with other phones, because over the years I bought plenty of them and never had any issues (SE K770, T700, Nokia E71 were all rock solid and reliable)

Now from what I understand, once the N900 USB detaches, there's nothing a regular person can do to repair it. I already filed down the charger and USB cable, so that should help somewhat.

What I'm considering doing right now is taking my perfectly working N900 apart and applying some epoxy to strengthen the USB mount. But I can't find pictures of that area so I can figure out how much room there is around it. Can anyone post some pictures of the motherboard?

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty