Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Another thing that's missing for good alt email client support is something like the browser switchboard but for email clients.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Originally Posted by jpandrusky View Post
That fixed slow Inboxes if you had thousands of email. I cleared out my mailbox and it still didn't help. Considering that it's Linux (and that it has 32GB of storage) I'm surprised Nokia didn't just use (modify for Maemo) fetchmail to download, msmtp to send and write a nice GUI mail client that read imap dirs. It would have been so much simpler and more reliable.
yeah its daft for it to be so slow with only a few emails.

really cant decide if i should keep this phone. i am writing this on my n900 lol

mb

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by MontyBravo View Post
well i think the n900 is going back for blackberry bold 9700. I just cant afford a biz user to have a email client on the device which can take up to a minute to open the inbox lol
I can understand going back to the Blackberry for business e-mail. Unfortunately the N900 currently does not compare well - on the Blackberry e-mail can be checked in an instant. And the device has spellcheck (necessary for business), push email, encryption, etc.

I must admit to being disappointed with the N900 mail client. Things have improved since the firmware update, but I miss my Blackberry.

Having said that, web browsing on the N900 compensates for the pain.

Nokia - Please improve e-mail. You are a bigger company than Apple, you have been making 'phones longer than RIM. At least add spellcheck.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dunsurfin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
I can understand going back to the Blackberry for business e-mail. Unfortunately the N900 currently does not compare well - on the Blackberry e-mail can be checked in an instant. And the device has spellcheck (necessary for business), push email, encryption, etc.

I must admit to being disappointed with the N900 mail client. Things have improved since the firmware update, but I miss my Blackberry.

Having said that, web browsing on the N900 compensates for the pain.

Nokia - Please improve e-mail. You are a bigger company than Apple, you have been making 'phones longer than RIM. At least add spellcheck.

agreed and as i write this its the browser that is stopping making a phone call to swop it for a bold lol

mb

a must have for business users. i hope this issue gets solved quick.

The current email client just sucks,

No PUSH email (I just can't afford to give nokia my passwords)
No spell check
When you send mail, and it fails, there is no notification, it's just stays in the outbox, that can really screw up things.
Mailboxes disconnect for no obvious reason
It continuously makes annoying sounds as mailboxes connect and disconnect.
I can go on and on about it.

Really a webmail interface is just better, at least you know the email was sent once you press send.

I really wish someone would port a decent mail client (Tbird?)

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Please vote for the imap idle bug to be fixed, then you can have push email :-D
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3888

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I've been using claws already on the N800, and while it's interface on the small screen has a steep learning curve, claws also being my main MUA on the desktop, I find it easy to manage.

Configuration of the one in extras-devel(-testing?) can be a bit annoying as some dialogs are cramped, but one can manage and you can also just edit the config.

Be sure to open the Network log window if it feels unresponsive, if you do silly things like checking multiple servers with a few hundred mailboxes every 10 minutes, but all this can be configured to your liking. And most importantly, it handles this

AFAIK, it does not yet support IDLE, but you will want to double-check that.

It's definitely worth a try and taking the time to master the UI. I'm very happy it has turned up in the fremantle repositories.

PCFE

I'm very happy with claws mail. I have a very large IMAP box and claws mail performs better than my thunderbird (desktop pc). Beside this, there is no feature i miss in claws mail.

Some hints:

1.) If you choose remember password and internet connection is lost it's sometimes impossible to reconnect.

2.) Have a look at the options and choose a smaller font.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
I have been using Claiws almost two months now (and for a couple of years on the N800).

Definately choose the smaller font you can accept and use the arrow and enter keys to navigate.

I love how reliable application Claws is and yes the user interface could be improved.