Notices

Hi all,

Just wondered if ther are any alternative email clients for the n900 as the standard one is totally rubbish and crazy slow!

Cheers,

MB

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by MontyBravo View Post
Hi all,

Just wondered if ther are any alternative email clients for the n900 as the standard one is totally rubbish and crazy slow!

Cheers,

MB
There is claws mail in the extras devel repositories though I doubt that it is hildonised so be aware of complex menu trees

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post:
Im not sure i would trust it until its at least in testing

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I've been happy with Yahoo Mail for years, but I guess some people have more complex usage patterns.

its not about compex useage patterns, its about having a local email client which works (and the client have very few features as it is so it should be speedy as hell lol)

The Following User Says Thank You to MontyBravo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I tried out the Claws port (the version previous to the one currently in devel i think). It worked well enough to launch and pull down mail. The interface was pretty crazy, stylus definitely required. It got crashy looking through the menus so I uninstalled it. I've been meaning to check out the newer build but haven't had a chance.

Not sure who is working on it either, or if its still being worked on.

well i think the n900 is going back for blackberry bold 9700. I just cant afford a biz user to have a email client on the device which can take up to a minute to open the inbox lol

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by MontyBravo View Post
well i think the n900 is going back for blackberry bold 9700. I just cant afford a biz user to have a email client on the device which can take up to a minute to open the inbox lol
Have you updated to the current firmware? I think one (some?) of the issues with slow inbox opening was addressed.

Originally Posted by ofels View Post
There is claws mail in the extras devel repositories though I doubt that it is hildonised so be aware of complex menu trees
But you can assign a shortcut to each menu operation, so if you don't mind (or even prefer) to use the keyboard, then every common operation is available immediately.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
Have you updated to the current firmware? I think one (some?) of the issues with slow inbox opening was addressed.
That fixed slow Inboxes if you had thousands of email. I cleared out my mailbox and it still didn't help. Considering that it's Linux (and that it has 32GB of storage) I'm surprised Nokia didn't just use (modify for Maemo) fetchmail to download, msmtp to send and write a nice GUI mail client that read imap dirs. It would have been so much simpler and more reliable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpandrusky For This Useful Post: