Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Overland Park, KS
My 810 seems to be resetting the GUI every so often. I lose my desktop applets and my status bar returns to factory original.

This has only happened for the last day or two. I think Om Weather is causing the issue since it was recently updated.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Standard desktop applets for me are seqretary, omweather, and clock.
The status bar is running advance backlight and large statusbar clock.

Thanks!

mine does it every so often as well. I've had it happen when mail arrived and the LED was to flash.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by dabaker View Post
My 810 seems to be resetting the GUI every so often. I lose my desktop applets and my status bar returns to factory original.

This has only happened for the last day or two. I think Om Weather is causing the issue since it was recently updated.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Standard desktop applets for me are seqretary, omweather, and clock.
The status bar is running advance backlight and large statusbar clock.

Thanks!
yes had the same problem until I removed large statusbar clock.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
When a desktop or a toolbar applet crashes, it takes entire process down with it. When this happens, Maemo may disable offending applet. I can't remember how it goes exactly, but my guess is that if maemo-desktop can't figure out which applet crashed, it simply reverts to system defaults. In any case I'm fairly certain that you can blame third party applets.

Writing desktop applets is quite different from ordinary applications because the applets are not run as separate processes. When you close an application, allocated resources are automatically freed, so leaking file descriptors or memory isn't that critical. When you disable an applet, you simply stop running the code, and all resources that are not manually freed, are still allocated. The simpliest way to make an applet to "crash" is to have it leak memory. Sooner or later the process is OOM killed, and entire desktop is restarted.

The Following User Says Thank You to wnd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Overland Park, KS
I stopped using Large Status Bar Clock and Whatever the problem was has gone away. Thanks to everyone for the comments.