Active Topics

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne
god damn nokia, just when they start doing something right. some smart *** developer goes and screws it up by not testing the firmware..how in gods name does something this big get by them?!!?

I too also have the same problem. Has anyone confirmed if reflashing the firmware works at all??

Last edited by beeman102; 2010-01-15 at 00:11.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I too could not browse the web through my home wifi after the update. Narrowed it down to DNS resolution problem before coming here because I could browse by IP. I had previously installed/uninstalled vpnc prior to the update, and the above solution worked for me. Thanks. (extras , ahh!!!!!)

@DaveQB: I ran through the checks you walked through, and my /etc/dnsmasq.conf was good after the update and didn't need the changes you indicated, so I tried the above solution.
Cool, no worries.

I think the best way to troubleshoot this is to:

Code:
nslookup google.com
It should say something about using 127.0.0.1 and return an IP address.

If not, put into /etc/resolv.conf

Code:
nameserver 4.2.2.1
And try again.
Code:
nslookup google.com
It should resolve then there is definitely a dns look up issue with your resolv files. What could be unique to each, depending on what files you edited by hand and what files were edited by apps from extra etc..

Originally Posted by beeman102 View Post
god damn nokia, just when they start doing something right. some smart *** developer goes and screws it up by not testing the firmware..how in gods name does something this big get by them?!!?

I too also have the same problem. Has anyone confirmed if reflashing the firmware works at all??
Hmmm I am not entirely convinced that this is a Nokia caused problem.

I am thinking it is either

1. You edited a file by hand so the update didn't overwrite that file but you need the changes. The default behaviour with any Linux system, but maybe it shouldn't be with this phone.

2. An application made changes and Nokia was unaware of these changes [how many apps are there] and thus broken the system when the update came through, making changes that tested fine on an N900 that had standard apps installed.

Originally Posted by beeman102 View Post

Unless I'm missing something... this problems is caused by installing extras-devel software VPNC.

Seriously.. if you're going to use extras-devel software.... This really isn't anybody else's fault......

These people aren't getting paid to maintain these packages...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Unless I'm missing something... this problems is caused by installing extras-devel software VPNC.

Seriously.. if you're going to use extras-devel software.... This really isn't anybody else's fault......

These people aren't getting paid to maintain these packages...

I believe you hit it on the head. I think it has to do with the vpnc prog. I had it installed and uninstalled it before doing the update and I am having the same issues. I am going to try flashing mine with the new software update.

I think an easy way to find a lead on your problem would be to find /etc/ config files that were not updated with the update.

Code:
find /etc/ -iname "*dpkg-dist*"
Post back here what that turns up.

Originally Posted by DaveQB View Post
Cool, no worries.

I think the best way to troubleshoot this is to:

Code:
nslookup google.com
It should say something about using 127.0.0.1 and return an IP address.

If not, put into /etc/resolv.conf

Code:
nameserver 4.2.2.1
And try again.
Code:
nslookup google.com
It should resolve then there is definitely a dns look up issue with your resolv files. What could be unique to each, depending on what files you edited by hand and what files were edited by apps from extra etc..
It is a dns / vpnc issue. I edited my resolv.conf file and there wasn't anything there and I added the nameserver line and it resolves the dns now.

I think an easy way to find a lead on your problem would be to find /etc/ config files that were not updated with the update.

Code:
find /etc/ -iname "*dpkg-dist*"
Post back here what that turns up.
This is the only file that came up:
/etc/udhcp/libicd_network_ipv4.script.dpkg-dist

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne
Hmmm I am not entirely convinced that this is a Nokia caused problem.

I am thinking it is either

1. You edited a file by hand so the update didn't overwrite that file but you need the changes. The default behaviour with any Linux system, but maybe it shouldn't be with this phone.

2. An application made changes and Nokia was unaware of these changes [how many apps are there] and thus broken the system when the update came through, making changes that tested fine on an N900 that had standard apps installed.
Yes i see what you are saying but, i didnt edit anything by hand or manualy as my linux knowledge is n00b.
and i believe some people are saying it is 100% vpnc program that is causing the problem? i dont or never have had that program installed on my phone to the best of my knowledge.

although i have gone through my programs and deleted quite a few programs inc telnet and a few other but no vpnc. based on that is it worth reflashing?

once again i dont mean to take the piss out of the developers.
as decent as Nokias phones are they sometimes can become quite infuriating to understand wtf is going on..

Ok here is what is in each file:

libicd_network_ipv4.script.dpkg-dis:
run-parts -a "$1" /etc/maemo-dhcp.d

libicd_network_ipv4.script:
/etc/udhcpc/default.$1