Active Topics

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Nokia took 10 steps forward on hardware design and 20 back on the software level. I suggest all the 'developers' on this forum start developing something worthwhile..not emulators for games that came out 20 years ago or stock apps that require the user to go through 20 menus to update 2 stocks.
I'd eat you alive in any debate back in High School. Your foundation is always weak.

I feel the exact opposite. Nokia took a step back in hardware. This is typical of N90, 2006 workmanship, weight and size, but the software is something brought by that monster in Cloverfield. Nothing comes close.

What is worthwhile to you may not be for others. The legacy game emulators have been pretty popular, and other platforms are copying the trend. As for the stock app, talk to the dev, and maybe make a useful contribution to this community. The room is already warm enough. We don't need any more hot air.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
N900 is a dream device. The software will grow and improve with the community. If you're waiting solely for nokia to make your dreams come true, then you're a living in a dream. This is going to be group effort. Maybe you should have waited for step 5 of 5 before investing. On a side note, I'd just like to point out that classic consoles have been emulated on handhelds at least as far back as the palmsizepc. Just to give credit where its really due, its a good trend that the N900 developer community is following.

- Scrolling anywhere is like a bunch of mini seizures, really close together. In other words, garbage. Why the hell is this not perfectly smooth like the iPhone? It's the same hardware.
Could you elaborate trying to reproduce the issues(helps me understand things better) general scrolling between the 2 is different, I find it very responsive with a occassional missed click.

- Missing features that make you go WTF: no playlists, no searching email.
- WTF do you sync with...you get OVI links from the factory yet you try ovi suite and you get "device not supported". Typical Nokia garbage.
Totally agree with you

- Desktop widgets are cool but take facebook and news...you get 2-3 lines that keep scrolling and no way to make the widget larger. Completely useless.
My problem with it is you can't update from the twitter or facebook widget, that in itself defeats the purpose.

- Transitions in the OS are nice but they often turn choppy and fail altogether. If you want to use transitions see that 2 year old device...what was it again...oh yeah.
Not having a problem in that area, how hard are you pushing it before it gets this way ? Can't exactly compare a multitasker with a device that can't multitask.

- Try playing music and going online at the same time. The choppy scrolling gets even worse. Can I still scroll in the browser? Yeah. Is it painful as hell? Yeah.
tried this and a few site, only music and random webpages, was smooth fluid and responsive. I did notice a 1-2 sec additional gap when it was going from one track to another but nothing was choppy.

Browser:

- Scrolling through bookmarks is slow as hell. Why?
- Scrolling through pages you get the checkered pattern VERY often. Sometimes you sit there for 3-5 seconds waiting for the scroll to catch up. WTF?
I don't have enough bookmark but can I check out some sites your visiting ?

- Sometimes the pages get messed up with previous pages. Half the page would be the current page, half the previous page. You have to either reload the page or scroll over the messed up area to refresh it. WTF?
haven't run into this yet
- Clicking back brings up this nifty history view. Nice. Now I have to factor in 5-10 seconds every time I want to click back? Have a history button and have the back button do just that: TAKE YOU BACK. No, I don't want to press backspace.
lol, so you don't want to use the button that let's you do exactly what you want to do...lol. I do think they need to allow the browser to be more configurable.

- Flash...yeah it does flash and youtube videos. If you feel like waiting 20 seconds for the video to catch up to the audio every time you move the page while playing the video then this device is for you.
I haven't had this problem ? The hardest hitting flash I got was at att's wireless site, but that same site crashed my desktop safari and opera browsers(had to many valuable tabs open with ff to try it so I didn't bother)

Conclusion

Basic functions are missing.
agreed

Where are the apps? WTF do you sync with? Why isn't there a central support page for this phone..etc.etc. I don't think Nokia has their stuff together and doubt they ever will. For me, this was Nokia's last chance to continue earning my business after all the garbage I bought from them over the years. Let's see how it pans out with some firmware updates but I am starting to get the feeling we're all wasting our time.
I agree with the sync, large amounts of apps are NEVER there at launch of a new device not even with "apple" pulled that off. I do agree with you Nokia needs to do some wonderful updates, but if they tie in garbage(unremoveable google&ovi type stuff) or disable functions and leave me without a way to get hardware improvements the base updates I'll leave and develop for some other platform.

Last edited by Slick; 2010-01-05 at 22:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
- Scrolling anywhere is like a bunch of mini seizures, really close together. In other words, garbage. Why the hell is this not perfectly smooth like the iPhone? It's the same hardware.
I can confirm this. Especially in sms view and in photo gallery. There is bug report about this.

- Missing features that make you go WTF: no playlists, no searching email.
- WTF do you sync with...you get OVI links from the factory yet you try ovi suite and you get "device not supported". Typical Nokia garbage.
Yep. My "Wtf" moment too

- Try playing music and going online at the same time. The choppy scrolling gets even worse. Can I still scroll in the browser? Yeah. Is it painful as hell? Yeah.
There is bug report about this. Clearing cache should help, but thatīs not the real answer.

- Scrolling through bookmarks is slow as hell. Why?
- Scrolling through pages you get the checkered pattern VERY often. Sometimes you sit there for 3-5 seconds waiting for the scroll to catch up. WTF?
- Sometimes the pages get messed up with previous pages. Half the page would be the current page, half the previous page. You have to either reload the page or scroll over the messed up area to refresh it. WTF?
I can confirm all these also :|

- Clicking back brings up this nifty history view. Nice. Now I have to factor in 5-10 seconds every time I want to click back? Have a history button and have the back button do just that: TAKE YOU BACK. No, I don't want to press backspace.
Totally agree.

- Flash...yeah it does flash and youtube videos. If you feel like waiting 20 seconds for the video to catch up to the audio every time you move the page while playing the video then this device is for you.
Actually youtube is quite fast for me but quality looks lower than standard youtube quality. Very pixelated.

The experience is still painful. All the fragmented scrolling and painfull transitions make you feel like you're asking the device to do too much.
Yep. Itīs not smooth experience. Users saying else have maybe not tested other phones or they are comparing this only to other Nokia products.

You know, I wonder how many people are seeing bad performance because (and this isn't an excuse, it just is perhaps unexpected behavior) they load the device with 20GB of music and then start doing their performance tests.

Of course, the n900 will spend the next several minutes/hours grinding through that 20GB of music (slowing down responsiveness, killing the battery) with the tracker. Meanwhile, the user says "wow this experience, it is teh suck".

The iPhone? It uses your deskop pc and the apple itunes software to do all that processing for you, and then ships the metadata over. Nice, except you're locked into itunes and you can't dump songs on/off the device directly.

Anyway, I just wonder if that may be a contributing factor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I have copied couple of songs and couple of trailers, but those are already indexed.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I'd eat you alive in any debate back in High School. Your foundation is always weak.

I feel the exact opposite. Nokia took a step back in hardware. This is typical of N90, 2006 workmanship, weight and size, but the software is something brought by that monster in Cloverfield. Nothing comes close.

What is worthwhile to you may not be for others. The legacy game emulators have been pretty popular, and other platforms are copying the trend. As for the stock app, talk to the dev, and maybe make a useful contribution to this community. The room is already warm enough. We don't need any more hot air.
Nothing like making statements based on nothing and accusing other people of having a weak foundation. Unfortunately for you people have moved on since high school. You bore me to tears so anything else you say will be ignored.

Let's recap a little bit:

- Where is the firmware update that was supposed to be out last year?

- Who really thinks it will add features? I think it will fix 30% of the bugs and add a few features out of the hundreds that are missing.

- In the meantime, Apple is prepping a tablet launch as well as a new iphone a couple of months down the road. What does Nokia do? Try to take them down with patent lawsuits. Well done.

- Google is launching a phone that will probably smack the N900 back to the stone age. Much better hardware and plenty of apps already available.

Yeah, I would say it is looking very promising for the N900. Unfortunately for all of us, I think Nokia is simply too late to the game. I don't see any changes of direction either. They are acting like they are alone on the market and have years to prepare their products. One more reality check coming up for 2010. Anyone care to guess how much their market share will drop this year?

Don't get me wrong; I hope they do get out of this mess and come up with some nice products. Less choices for the consumers is never a good thing. However, until they show any sort of positive signs I will stand by my opinion that they have already failed. They just don't know it yet.

- Where is the firmware update that was supposed to be out last year?
released to a select group of testers last year, but yes it is late.
- Who really thinks it will add features? I think it will fix 30% of the bugs and add a few features out of the hundreds that are missing.
bugfixes. Are you going to give Nokia more then two years to add such "features" as cut and paste? Oh, yeah, that's only OK for Apply, I forgot.
- In the meantime, Apple is prepping a tablet launch as well as a new iphone a couple of months down the road. What does Nokia do? Try to take them down with patent lawsuits. Well done.
It's the american way... Apple has used that play as well. I guess its ok when they do it? BTW Apple has been preparing (or saying they will never release) a tablet for about 10 years. Guess those $250 netbooks are starting to cut into sales of $300 ipod touches?
- Google is launching a phone that will probably smack the N900 back to the stone age. Much better hardware and plenty of apps already available.
Universal Reception: yawn, it's a rebranded HTC handset running android. Oh.... kay.
I will stand by my opinion that they have already failed. They just don't know it yet.
Nothing like making up your mind using imperfect information

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
there is a lot.

so a lot to like.

a lot to think what sucks.

get a phone. get over it. go bowl. get some icecream. hump your dog who cares

Don't get me wrong; I hope they do get out of this mess and come up with some nice products. Less choices for the consumers is never a good thing. However, until they show any sort of positive signs I will stand by my opinion that they have already failed. They just don't know it yet.
Kinda hard not to get you wrong. What mess are you talking about? You compare the N900 with 3-4 different things and you condemn it for not being better than the combination of all of them.

Let me help you get out of this mess. Buy an iPhone and a Nexus One and the Apple tablet when it comes out, and if you bought a N900, sell it on ebay. Simple isn't it!

"Firmware update last year" instead of "two weeks ago" makes it hard not to "get you wrong", sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to yorg For This Useful Post:

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever