Active Topics

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The person on Twitter using MMS is Frals, and it's nothing to do with firmware. He's been working on scrpts to make it possible and will let us all know when he's a bit more confident with it. As for the article, I suspect one or two folks from round here.
OoooOoo Its a Murder'she'wrote who dunnit styleee!!!
i like, i like - i'm also in the process of making a mahooosive cupcake - that will be twittered! (With added proof, erm cake in the photo!)

Frals work looks really promising!

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
What's the big deal with MMS? way back when it was first announced with big media coverage and praises. However it never got a big popularity among the mobile users.

Years have past and now there is the marvelous internet (flickr,facebook,email) Why not use these modern, technically advanced methods and stop wining about the past technologies?

I would concentrate the Maemo firmware update development focus to other areas that are more useful for the end user (Nokia Maps!)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JuhS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by JuhS View Post
What's the big deal with MMS? way back when it was first announced with big media coverage and praises. However it never got a big popularity among the mobile users.

Years have past and now there is the marvelous internet (flickr,facebook,email) Why not use these modern, technically advanced methods and stop wining about the past technologies?

I would concentrate the Maemo firmware update development focus to other areas that are more useful for the end user (Nokia Maps!)
Because like it or not, MMS matters to a lot of people. You may not be one of them. Neither am I. But frankly, the state of Ovi maps matters even less to me.

There are still plenty of people who use MMS - and plenty of people whose phones aren't internet connected - not everyone has a data plan: sending them MMS is an easy way to communicate.

In the end, the user demand is there. And the good news is that people appear to have cracked it in principle at least.

Oh, and NoobMonkey - no great mystery. I caught @Frals's tweet saying he was sending and receivig MMS and asked him how.

The real mystery is who stole the jaffacakes... Was that article written by the person with the jaffa-container?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
What's the big deal with MMS?
There is no big deal. Just very odd that Nokia wouldn't have this feature - even if you are not a MMS user, the lack of such an easy to include functionality when some people just don't simply have e-mail capable phones is an oversight.

Nothing has replaced MMS yet. Not fully.

There are other things I'd love to see concentrated on... like more apps and using the front facing camera for something like a video call - before "somebody" else does it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
its not that easy. they have to make the phone work with wep to get mms working

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Francisco
Because not everyone out there, or even the majority of people, have an Internet-capable phone that
  • pay additional for Internet access
  • have an email account they can connect to
  • have successfully connected to an email account

Because Flickr, Facebook, and most other "sharing" or "community" sites don't have any meaningful concept of "privacy of content."

Because MMS delivery can be less expensive than paying for Internet bytes

Because people out there send MMS and that, on a device that is supposedly one of Nokia's best, they disappear into nothingness, without a trace.

Alas, why I'll likely never recommend the N900 to my friends

Non-nerd apps; USB charging - generic and reliable; Distinctive ring tones; GPS failure to lock; Competitive "maps" application; Supported MMS, iSync, Bluetooth

(The feeble FM transmitter bugs me too)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffsf For This Useful Post:

When counting the people using MMS vs Nokia Maps, I would guess you would get a ratio of 99.9 to 1.

You are partly right. The use of SMS vs MMS is also in the ballpark 99 to 1, but the number of users of SMS vs MMS is more 1 to 1, allmost everybody use MMS, but not very often. Still it is one of those things you have to have on a phone.

MMS cannot be compared with e-mail. MMS links directly to your phone, no user names, no log ins, no nothing. There is simply nothing more practical than MMS when sending small videos and pictures, and grandparents loves it.

The N900 don't have that hyped fashion "must have" - thing, that the iPhone had, it could do without MMS for some time. Without MMS, the N900 will go down the drain, it will be rediculed.

The Following User Says Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by koroviov View Post
didn't read through the whole thing, but if it turns out to be true, then that's it for me. already sent it back due to the agps issue, now i'll push for my money back instead of a new device.
this might seem a dumb question but did you ship your phone to the one of the flagship stores?

Well, MMS is useful, but when iPhone lacked it, no one gives a flying fsck.
This guy is plain stupid.

Of course the n900 needs mms, it is a standard amongst phones nowadays. mms is all software and nothing hardware to the n900 so i can't see why it wasnt on it in the first place!!!

Tags
kathy needs mms, mms are past tense, what is a tag