Active Topics

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
So here is my situation:

I have wifi at home and at work. Outside of these two there are only a handful of free hotspots. Also, living in Canada means being raped by the telcos left right and center when it comes to charges for data traffic.

This means that while not at home and not at work I can't get email, skype, web and all the other wonderful things without constantly being worried about overage charges.

On my "smart phone plan" with Rogers I currently have only 500MB. So my question is what is 500MB a month (or about 16MB per day) enough for? Can I be constantly on with the weather app, skype (for chat at least) and gps, auto checking my emails every 5 minutes and still remain within 500MB?

Thanks.
Yes you can very well be constantly on your app, but avoid auto checking whether its a mail or any other thing.. sometimes this might overload your usage.

i think you can stay within 500MB while using wifi when you can. I went over 1.1GB this month but never used wifi but ido literally everything on the phone

I've used about

37.457 MB Up
132.257 MB Down

This is from when I got the N900, Dec 1st, to today.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

That 500MB is probably good for a day or so...

It all depends on what you do. Internet radio, constant chatting, and reading email (with attachment files) can consume pretty hefty amounts of data transferred.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
... Any ideas why Vodafone think I've used 536.3MB while my phone thinks I've uploaded 27.6MB and downloaded 94.6MB? ... I haven't reset the counters on the phone or anything silly like that ... so where is this discrepency coming from?

Don't you guys use your phones? According to my carrier I am at 14040 MB in 18 days.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by mlpmail View Post
Don't you guys use your phones? According to my carrier I am at 14040 MB in 18 days.
I would love to have a carrier allow me to do that much. In canada it is too expensive ($25CDN a month for 500GB from the only GSM provider). I am hoping our new entrant will resolve that, but they need to expand their network first for me to switch.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
but vodafone only have one dataplan so I'm stuck with their idea of fair usage, not my idea of what I need ...
Swith to a different provider as soon as you can. They're not all capped at 500GB.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by real_per View Post
I just hit 3 GB downloaded the other day, but I've been doing everything over my 3.5G connection. But now the Data Monitor Widget doesn't work anymore

It just shows -87172838.000 B downloaded.
Please report the Data Monitor Widget bug on bugs.maemo.org. Cheers :-)

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
About 500 MB in 10 days, though I've used wifi when I've installed more software.. No data limits here.