Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by squirreluk View Post
I once had an iphone, i now have the n900, im sticking to the n900. Phone out for two weeks and you get twats complaning about no apps etc. I remember i had the iphone 2 weeks before it was out in uk, not much apps for it back then.
True but the iPhone took the market by storm and changed the entire industry. People have known about the N900 and Maemo for quite a while and I don't see any large companies expressing interest developing anything for the platform. What's in the works to be excited about? As a matter of fact, what was ever available for maemo4?...3?...2?

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hove, UK
I'm a complete gadget freak. I initially chose a Blackberry Curve 8320 in favour of the iPhone (dismissed at the time as a 'gimmick' by the third-party salesman) and then preferred to wait for 3 months for the N900 rather than get an iPhone 3GS straight away. And I use a Mac.

The fact I can't sync my phone with my hardware is doing my nut a bit at the moment but two facts I do know makes all that okay:

1) The N900's hardware is better than the iPhone's. The software can potentially be changed infinitely, and therefore can be better than the iPhone (particularly with regard to the 3D graphics argument).

2) The problems I'm having with the software will be fixed, and because I'm a geek and early adopter, I accept them as par for the course.

I will be justly smug when all my mates want an N900 in 6 months.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by thechosenmonkey View Post
The N900 is still a baby don't forget compared to the Iphone. I'm sure it will do loads more once developers have had some time with it.
You may be right, but I like to use what I buy now..and no one can tell what the future holds for either device.

Originally Posted by thechosenmonkey View Post
It probably won't go mental-mainstream, so won't have thousands of pointless applications made to cash-in on simpletons.
What in my post made you think I was using fart-apps, etc?
I've had an iPhone for years and never even seen one of those apps.
They don't come pre-loaded with that you know.

I know it's popular to bash the iPhone but when it comes down to it - compared to the N900 it wins on a lot of areas.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
I do hope Maemo and/or Nokia are logging and analysing the IP addresses of the critical posters on these forums. I'm thinking that rather a lot of them might come from the ranges of Google, Motorola, Samsung and Apple, amongst others. I find it's been getting rather shilly in here recently.
I doubt they really care. Yes, there has been some very blatant shilling and agenda-driven bashing here, but I think most people can recognize it.

Originally Posted by retris View Post
Yeah I even shave my beard with my iPod

no wait
See, this is a great example of 'iPhone-bashing' that is really more embarassing to the poster than anything else.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
...I don't see any large companies expressing interest developing anything for the platform.
Odd... I encountered numerous such companies just a couple of weeks ago...

Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
True but the iPhone took the market by storm and changed the entire industry. People have known about the N900 and Maemo for quite a while and I don't see any large companies expressing interest developing anything for the platform. What's in the works to be excited about? As a matter of fact, what was ever available for maemo4?...3?...2?
maemo 4 3 2, was this on a phone? The market share will now go up and interested partys will come to the big maemo party. Not be long befor every iphone app is on the n900.

That reminds me on this here:

Click Meeeeeee

Nothing more to say...

Originally Posted by ymb View Post
thanks for taking the time to register and post this.
I found it hard to asking if anyone wanted to buy it without registering first.

i have played with an iphone, and it is a joy to use as a digital companion when travelling.

but nothing has exceeded or matched the sheer pleasure of playing with my n900, particularly waiting for some new opensource game or app to arrive in extra's.

Closed Thread