Active Topics

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Using Exchange 2007 - yes I can connect and sync. But - comeing from E90/E72 - MfE implementation on the N900 is bad...

- MfE syncs every single folder; not able to select witch; what a waste of bandwith (costs!), space and time!
- MfE does not display unread messages in all these folders
- MfE shows folders in a LIST ; hello: we have folders to hide and group stuff - MfE just ignores the ussage of folders and offers us such a bad usability (compare this with the E72 - just a different world!)
- MfE does not offer to search the GAL; even my "old" E90 offers this
- sometimes MfE does not jump into the eMail shown in the notification window but into messages root; so I have to make 3 more clicks to finally see my new message (if itīs not in one of these listed folders where I can not find an unread message...)
- no option to display i.e. the "To:" line
- no desktop widget to display my messages (compare this with MfE for Symbian devices)
- Calendar integration is also behind the Symbian implementation. I.e. please let me accept meeting requests and add it to my calendar while sending a reponse to the meeting organizer again!

And so on - well; yes it works (for me at least) - but the usability is just horrible and misses a lot of features I was already used to from the "old" Symbian implementation. Now maemo is the new "flagship platform" - and the MfE implementation is just so far behind... I know - firmware "1.0" but still... just disapointing.

Last edited by HugoSon; 2009-12-08 at 10:23.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
Using Exchange 2007 - yes I can connect and sync. But - comeing from E90/E72 - MfE implementation on the N900 is bad...

- MfE syncs every single folder; not able to select witch; what a waste of bandwith (costs!), space and time!
- MfE shows folders in a LIST ; hello: we have folders to hide and group stuff - MfE just ignores the ussage of folders and offers us such a bad usability (compare this with the E72 - just a different world!)
- sometimes MfE does not jump into the eMail shown in the notification window but into messages root; so I have to make 3 more clicks to finally see my new message (if itīs not in one of these listed folders where I can not find an unread message...)
- no desktop widget to display my messages (compare this with MfE for Symbian devices)
- Calendar integration is also behind the Symbian implementation. I.e. please let me accept meeting requests and add it to my calendar while sending a reponse to the meeting organizer again!

And so on - well; yes it works (for me at least) - but the usability is just horrible and misses a lot of features I was already used to from the "old" Symbian implementation. Now maemo is the new "flagship platform" - and the MfE implementation is just so far behind... I know - firmware "1.0" but still... just disapointing.
How did this half-assed implementation get past any quality controls? Do the Maemo folks have any quality control? This makes me rethink the N900, I'm glad I've been holding off on buying one.

Please Nokia, fix the freakin' MfE! Don't make it a 3rd class citizen on the Maemo platform!! And add support for provisioning while you're at it.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
And add support for provisioning while you're at it.
And a pony.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK

I would suspect part of the shock is you are coming from an E Series device to an N series. E series is all about email, N series is about lifestyle.

Not a lot of help I know but might explain the rudiamentry support

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bahrain
if you are using exchange 2007 and non-provision allowed.
try changing the date format to finnish and try synching, if it fails try switchingto english uk.
some people managed to synch this way.
keep an eye on this bug report
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6467

please keep the discussion here

The Following User Says Thank You to agogo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
It was decided for simplicity as far as I remember. By UI designers. Do you need a graphical user interface to be able to configure which folder shall be displayed and which not? Will "hacker" approach (an ability to set the list of folders which shall not be synced via gconftool-2 command-line tool) satisfy you?

Could you explain it in a little bit more detail? Can't get you here.

Blame mail client, pls. MfE uses system-wide mail client (modest) and it is implemented in this a way.

Yep. Missed feature.

Yep. The ideas of UI guys was - if you have more than 1 notification, than it is impossible to detect what email shall be opened. Instead, folder view is shown and you can select whatever you wish.

Could you file a bug against this behavior? I will try to push it forward but without external support it is not so easy as this behavior is considered to be "obvious" by many people.

Mail client features. Not MfE-specific.

Accept/decline/tentative functionality is not implemented.

The point is taken. Thank you for the feedback.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
How did this half-assed implementation get past any quality controls?
Quality control is not about missed features. Quality control is about the amount of bugs in the planned and implemented features.

Yes, Nokia has it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by keesj View Post
Coming from the Linux world I find it hard to see a progress bar stopped at 1/3 of the progress and a message saying "error" without some explanation.
If you came from linux world, the following instructions can help you:

1) install syslog and reboot
2) open xterm
[optional steps begin]
2A. sudo gainroot
2B. cat /dev/null > /var/log/syslog
[optional steps end]
3) Issue the following commands:
gconftool-2 -s --type=int /apps/activesync/AsDaemon/Syslog/MinLogLevel 0
gconftool-2 -s --type=int /apps/activesync/modest/Syslog/MinLogLevel 0
gconftool-2 -s --type=int /apps/activesync/AsProvider/Syslog/MinLogLevel 0
gconftool-2 -s --type=int /apps/activesync/AsBackup/Syslog/MinLogLevel 0
gconftool-2 -s --type=int /apps/activesync/asapplet/Syslog/MinLogLevel 0
gconftool-2 -s --type=int /apps/activesync/AsStatusApplet/Syslog/MinLogLevel 0
3) check /var/log/syslog

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nux View Post
In my old E71 I used to have them, why so big setback in functionality?
E means "Enterprise"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bahrain
try changing your device date format
keep an eye on this bug report.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6467
please keep the discussion here.

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!