Active Topics

smudge or not doesnt even really mater when people get SCREEN PROTECTORS nowadays, honestly, if i said "iPhone smudges so easily" most people would counter by saying "so what, we all use screen protectors anyways"

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by unkno View Post
Request for video of screen scratch test using keys (on N900)
It might be a bit hard to find willing participants to do that test. Then again, I can only give anecdotal comments. I've had a N900 in my backbag, mixed with all kinds of stuff, keys and all, for over 6 months now. (They're free for us, in a way, so we don't really pay good care to them, they're abused a lot.) My screen has about 5-6 tiny hairline scratches. With the screen on it's virtually impossible to see them, with the screen off and looking against a light reflection, yes you can spot them.

So I wouldn't be overly worried with screen scratches. But then again, as people say, if you are worried, buy a screen protector. Yes, and if you take your car keys and scratch the screen violently, I'm sure you can leave a mark there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
It might be a bit hard to find willing participants to do that test. Then again, I can only give anecdotal comments. I've had a N900 in my backbag, mixed with all kinds of stuff, keys and all, for over 6 months now. (They're free for us, in a way, so we don't really pay good care to them, they're abused a lot.) My screen has about 5-6 tiny hairline scratches. With the screen on it's virtually impossible to see them, with the screen off and looking against a light reflection, yes you can spot them.

So I wouldn't be overly worried with screen scratches. But then again, as people say, if you are worried, buy a screen protector. Yes, and if you take your car keys and scratch the screen violently, I'm sure you can leave a mark there.
You've had the N900 for over 6 months!!!!!!!!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
smudge or not doesnt even really mater when people get SCREEN PROTECTORS nowadays, honestly, if i said "iPhone smudges so easily" most people would counter by saying "so what, we all use screen protectors anyways"
Actually, the opposite is true. iPhone 3GS has oleophobic screen (coating?) which repels oil and smudges rather well. If you put a screen protector over it, you won't get the benefit of the coating
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
non issue? i'm a pancy but i'm not a pancy when it comes to touching things and if i have to rub my phone harder than my girlfriend that's okay but if i have to bash it it's another story.
It's a non-issue.

Devil-typical FUD aside, resistive screens can and have been "good enough" for responsive touch UIs for a long time. I remember my Visor Deluxe being a bit nonresponsive now and then, but this ain't 1999 and it ain't only geeks with hip-holstered PDAs running around with touch screens anymore. All three PDAs i've had since then (Handera 330, Palm T3, Zaurus SL-C860) have been good enough. Furthermore, they all worked with stylus input, and for my uses, that's priceless.

To each his own, obviously. I use the Zaurus almost every day in the lab via both gloved hand and stylus input, recording data and making calculations with a spreadsheet. It's a real workhorse, and doesn't get in the way of doing what i want it to. I doubt most iPreppies would be caught dead in the lab environment i work in, with or without their status symbols, but to claim resistive touchscreens aren't up to the job of being a responsive UI is just ridiculous.

The UI should enable your uses, not limit them. If anything, capacitive as it is currently implemented is the dealbreaker. It's inherently more limited. But for most people, as i said at the beginning, the differences amount to being a non-issue.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Actually, the opposite is true. iPhone 3GS has oleophobic screen (coating?) which repels oil and smudges rather well. If you put a screen protector over it, you won't get the benefit of the coating

Yes, it is just a coating and wears away fairly fast from what folks have said online and from what i can tell from my wife's 3gs.

Even when new, the phone did still get just as many fingersmudges, but it was easier to wipe clean, although now seems to be about just like any other screen.

The good thing about a resistive screen is you don't have to touch it with your greasy nubs at all! Works good in case you want to have fried chicken and surf the internet

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
The good thing about a resistive screen is you don't have to touch it with your greasy nubs at all! Works good in case you want to have fried chicken and surf the internet
And then you get chicken fat all over the stylus, and then you put the stylus back in its slot and you get chicken fat all over the inside of the stylus slot which is impossible to clean.

No thanks, I'll finish my fried chicken before surfing.

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
And then you get chicken fat all over the stylus, and then you put the stylus back in its slot and you get chicken fat all over the inside of the stylus slot which is impossible to clean.

No thanks, I'll finish my fried chicken before surfing.
Well, a stylus can go in a dishwasher.

Top rack only, I hear.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
The iPhone 3GS's oleophobic screen though is rumored to come of prematurely and scratch easy... http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...f-prematurely/

and the oleophobic coating doesn't help against scratches and I don't know how smart it is to put a screen protector on top of the coating.

I have had the HTC Touch HD which have a resistive touch screen as well and I have never had any problems with scratches on the screen.
But I guess under the right (wrong more likeley) circumstances a scratch could occur on day one but it could also do so with even the best screen protectors, capasitive screens etc.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I've been using the N900 as my main phone for about two months now and always had it with me in my pockets together with keys. I use the G1 pouch for protecting it from the keys in the pocket, but otherwise, I don't have any screen protector applied. I still can't see a single scratch.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: