Active Topics

As for your networking problem. If your using Wireless then bridged networking will not work in linux with vmware products. You should use NAT connections if you use wireless. If you don't use wireless and your using Bridged, its possible you configured your bridge to a different ethernet port

Edit -
Ok I just got the vmware appliance running and have more information about your wireless connection.

These lines in Ubuntu.vmx;
Ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:55:f7:eb"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

Mean that the vm is going to use bridged networking to what ever interface you specified in your vmware install or vmware-config.pl based on OS. If you would like an easier way to have internet add this line after the line with the "generated"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

That will use nat'ing through any avalible interface. Your host will issue a dhcp address based on the network you specified in your config. (for example I used 172.16.20.0/24)

Hope that helps more

Last edited by schmots; 2007-01-30 at 13:27.

*sigh*
Ok, I have it running, but no matter how I try to start Xypher the sandbox connection is refused. What is the proper cli to start Xypher right?

Edit -
Sorry never mind.. found it.

Last edited by schmots; 2007-01-30 at 14:04. Reason: Found the answer

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Thanks, schmots!

Once I turned NAT on and reconnected the network, it all came up.

Thanks, again.

-F

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Aloha, OR
This is probably a stupid question. What is the username/password for the ubuntu-maemo login?

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Aloha, OR
Originally Posted by richardg1952 View Post
This is probably a stupid question. What is the username/password for the ubuntu-maemo login?
Doh! found it. Must be why it's called a README

Originally Posted by konfoo View Post
This is a kernel issue with Ubuntu 6.10 running on M, C3 and some other processors. I have a laptop with an M here. If I have some time this weekend I will try do a custom kernel as a boot option and hopefully that fixes it.

"This is because the 2.6.17-10-server kernel is compiled with HIGHMEM64G support, which requires PAE, but the Via C3 processor used on most Epias does not support PAE. You will have to use a kernel without HIGHMEM64G support (HIGHMEM4G will work, as will NOHIGHMEM).

The same problem occurs on certain Pentium M CPUs. Most other CPUs since Pentium Pro support PAE."
Well, looks like you were definitely correct here. I recompiled the kernel (and upgraded to 2.6.20 while I was at it) with NOHIGHMEM and it works like a charm now on my Dell D600 (with Pentium M) where I was getting the error before.

I am trying to tweak a last few things and I will see if I can figure out how to upload the new Appliance to VMWare.

Also, for those who already downloaded the VM and can't use it on their Pentium M (or other) box, I compiled the kernel and modules as debian packages so I plan on looking for somewhere to host those as well, maybe just create a small package to torrent them on. While it's not particularly difficult to compile one yourself it takes a while (took 12+ hours within the VM on a P4 2.6GHz box). If you want to take this route, you just need a temp box to move the appliance image to, boot it and install the deb packages (dpkg -i them... do the kernel first, then the headers one) then move the VM image back to your M device (etc) and it will work!

I'll keep you guys posted as to where you can get this. Now that I have this, I plan to go onto develop for my loved little N800! I can't wait to contribute and use my skills for more than just corporate software development

Last edited by hodags; 2007-02-10 at 05:15.

I ran into the same problem with my T41 laptop, re-built the kernel and - surprise- it solved the problem. I put the new kernel up on my web site. If you have a chance to execute the appliance on a compliant processor, you can create a new image by including the kernel that I built:

First, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://kwasir.org/deb/maemo/ binary/

Then, execute:
apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.17.14-ubuntu1-custom
apt-get install linux-image-2.6.17.14-ubuntu1-custom

You may get a couple of warnings about missing symlinks but that should be alright. Let me know if you run into problems.
Cheers,
--Norbert

Oh, even running the danger that this thread is getting out of control, there's one more thing I want to add (this may or may not be related to the network problem that was discussed earlier):

I continually have the problem that my networking doesn't work. Sometimes it does - I believe after a fresh install of the appliance. Anyway, my problem is that the file /etc/iftab contains the wrong mac address. As a work-around, you need to update the file with the right address, which you can find either in the Ubuntu.vmx file of the appliance or when executing:

ifconfig -a

(in my case, it falsely lists eth1 with the right mac address but no IP address mapping - it really should have started eth0 if things are right)

After that fix and reboot of ubuntu, networking should be fine.

I don't know the internals of the appliance and don't have a clue why this happens, but someone else might be able to track it down. Could that be related to my VMWare player version (1.0.3.34682) or my host platform (which is really vanilla Windows XP SP2)?

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
Thanks all for the additions tips bugs and workarounds - I have about another 20 or so in my email on top of this. I will be putting out a new vmware image with hopefully fixes for everything as well as e.g. Mono scratchbox, mud-builder, etc. in a new release hopefully this coming weekend.

I was wondering if you have this online yet? I'd like to download the latest version before jumping in. thanks.

-Dave