Notices

Hi all

I am using my N810 on a daily basis for everything! Music, Podcasts, Navigation, Mobile Office documents editor (doc, xls, ppt), notes and more...

About emails - I tried a few times to use it for emails but could never really find a good solution for that.

Modest is fine but it will always download my entire inbox (3000 messages) even though I tried to limit it to the last 50. While it does do a good job downloading everything, things gets slower and slower (like scrolling...) and the overall user experience is not good with 3000 messages on your device.

I would also get "message not available on server" and "wrong user name and password" occasionally (have no idea where that comes from).

Claws ignores the limit of number messages as well resulting with 3000 emails being downloaded to my device. In order to boost up the UI experience a little bit I used the filters to hide 95% of the downloaded messages so that at list once all 3000 emails are downloaded, the scrolling and stuff is faster. BUT, still lots of problems trying to hook it to my work's IMAP. It would only work while I'm connected through certain access points while giving me the "wrong user name or password" when using other connections (like while tethered to my E71). I haven't analyzed it thoroughly yet though.

I love the 800x480 clear display of the N8x0 and would really want to use it as my primary email device but at this point my E71 does a MUCH better job accessing my emails.

So my question to you: are you using your NIT as your primary mobile email device? (and happy with it ). Which app are you using?

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by macit View Post
are you using your NIT as your primary mobile email device?
My N810 is my primary email device, period.

(and happy with it)
Yes.

Which app are you using?
Modest.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I only use gmail, hence any modern browser goes well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I use my n800 only to peek at mail from time to time, but claws works fine (albeit slowly) even with imap folders with more than 20000 messages.
I have the imap server at home, not exposed to the internet, I ssh in to create a tunnel when I want to check mail from the outside.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
My N810 is my primary email device, period.

Yes.

Modest.
Can you restrict it to get only the latest XXX emails and it actually works?

Thanks

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Don't leave read emails in the inbox and your problem will be fixed. I use modest to read my Gmail with IMAP and it performs well, perhaps because I file my read emails in the archieve unless they require action yet to be done.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
I use modest as my primary email viewer for my gmail and 2 other POP accounts. I also use my tablet for free phone calls now using Google voice, Dial central and Siphone via rtcom. It works great. When traveling I like using Maemo Mapper and of course while traveling I watch movies and shows, and listen to Music. I write a lot of notes using Xournal. I only use the browser Tear occasionally when I need something. Oh, I am alwasy using GPE calender, todo and contacts and sync it with my google calender using erming.
I using my N800 constantly everyday wether running around or at work.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I use Yahoo Mail and occasionally Gmail and sometimes roadrunner.com and they all work fine, being types of web mail.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by macit View Post
Hi all

Modest is fine but it will always download my entire inbox (3000 messages) even though I tried to limit it to the last 50. While it does do a good job downloading everything, things gets slower and slower (like scrolling...) and the overall user experience is not good with 3000 messages on your device.

Thanks.
You can have the option of leaving messages on server and retrieving headers only.

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Don't leave read emails in the inbox and your problem will be fixed.
If only it were that simple!

Modest will always index all your subscribed personal folders, so if you have even one folder with lots of messages somewhere in your tree you'll still hit the problem (bug 3762).

Unsubscribing that folder (which you may not want to do in the first place if you want to access it from certain other MUAs) may not help either, as Modest sometimes (depending on the IMAP server) will ignore IMAP subscriptions and fetch the entire personal folder tree (bug 3484).

Tags
email