Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tso View Post
heh, the devil will as always be in the details.
still, EM waves are EM waves, no?
Yes, but unfortunately TFA does not specify the size/configuration of the receiving antenna. Also, doesn't say that the charger is supposed to be part of a phone - it sounds to me more like a self-powered base-station with a spiderweb/collector back... 5 or 50 mW are just numbers in the air until we see the antenna and the distance/power of the EM source. 50 mW sounds just too much to me for something very pocketable under generic indoor conditions...

got to confess tho, im a curious amateur when its comes to a topic like this one...
Disclaimer: my EE skills are a bit worse than rusty, mostly ghost memories from my HAM and college days, even though I pick up the good ole soldering wick from time to time

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's the next best thing to perpetual motion!

Next: a motion-driven power generator in every cell phone. Come on, it's inevitable! Like self-winding watches!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Oh, and tweeted at least twice now! Thanks jself for the info (although I already knew this was coming, just didn't know when)

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
This initiative will fail (again) - because there is no way how to charge end users for energy that they use (the old story with Tesla will repeat again).

I hope that I am wrong and our society is mature enough for such inventions.

Regards

The difference to Tesla's problem is that there is no 'provider', so payment is not expected anyway.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
No, it doesn't work that way, unfortunately Radio waves propagate differently than light - that's why you use antennae that are very different, to, say, optical telescopes.
Not quite true Radio waves propagate exactly the same way as light, but you need different materials to absorb them and convert the EM "light" into electrical energy

Last edited by deadmalc; 2009-06-17 at 10:39. Reason: light ? radio waves? microwaves? all the same really! but confusing

Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Not quite true Radio waves propagate exactly the same way as light, but you need different materials to absorb them and convert the EM "light" into electrical energy
If under 'same way' you mean 'can be described with the same equations and laws of physics', you are correct. However, that still means vastly different reflection, refraction, diffraction, absorption, interference (etc etc) characteristics depending on wavelength. Not really just a question of materials. That's why for example solar cells are not antennas, it's just not 'practical' at that wavelength.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The difference to Tesla's problem is that there is no 'provider', so payment is not expected anyway.
Not really ... energy of the waves will be absorbed by those devices and probably this will lead to bad communication or video signals for "wave providers" - so they will need to increase their signals (for information http://www.livescience.com/environme...e-weather.html). And this leads to bigger amount of energy used to create waves and bigger charges for real consumer for those waves and of course a lot more wave power will be spread around and this may cause even some medical problems to people.

And finally bad thing will be that instead of saving energy this will increase energy consumption and even if there is no direct "wave provider" that will charge you, this charges will be paid by someone - usually all of us.

I am so not(positive)

Regards

Originally Posted by dzahariev View Post
Not really ... energy of the waves will be absorbed by those devices and probably this will lead to bad communication or video signals for "wave providers" - so they will need to increase their signals
Yes, that concern was raised in my very first post to this topic

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by dzahariev View Post
I hope that I am wrong and our society is mature enough for such inventions.
not by a long shot, sadly. these days one wants payment for subjects that would get one labeled a conman a couple of generations ago...