Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr View Post
For those who aren't very familiar with installing maemo apps or their associated repositories, any chance you can post a step-by-step? Thanks.

Jeff
Regarding the libxau0 problem, this seems to stem from using the same package for the 770 as for the N800. libxau0 is a package that is provided on the 770 by default, but is not provided on the N800, presumably because it isn't necessary anymore. The vncviewer package has a dependency on libxau0 (which is itself a product of the build environment), even if it isn't needed when running vncviewer on the N800, and that seems to be the source of the problem. I think that some users have been able to install vncviewer because they have set their repositories up to download libxau0 from one of the 770 (mistral or scirocco) repositories, but this shouldn't be necessary.

Instead, I downloaded and installed the new development environment for building software for the N800, and I am going to use this environment to create a package specifically targeted to the N800 (bora, or maemo 3.0). I will hopefully have a new package for N800 users some time tonight or tomorrow. And, it will be simple to install--just open the .install file and it should work. However, I don't have an N800 on which to test this--the best I can do is test it in the N800 development environment, but this isn't quite the same as testing it on the actual device.

In addition, I am working on some additional enhancements after spending some time using VNC viewer that I hope you all will like. So, the next release will likely be 0.5.1.

Aaron

Aaron,

Thanks a bunch for all the hard work and extra effort on this front specifically. I'll look forward to trying out the new build.

Jeff

Well, I have a new release for you and new packages for both the 770 and the N800. The previous problems with the libxau0 dependency on the N800 should now be a thing of the past. Check out my new post that discusses the new release for more information.

AaronL

I have been trying for DAYS to get libxau0 to run a few applications and cannot seem to find it anywhere. It shouldn't be that hard for someone to tell all of us a simple way to download this thing. This is ridiculous. Where is this creature and how can I get it in my n800. Please be specific. Most of us are not Linux people. Thanks. I'm still searching.
trustwiz@myfastmail.com

Originally Posted by trustwiz View Post
I have been trying for DAYS to get libxau0 to run a few applications and cannot seem to find it anywhere. It shouldn't be that hard for someone to tell all of us a simple way to download this thing. This is ridiculous. Where is this creature and how can I get it in my n800. Please be specific. Most of us are not Linux people. Thanks. I'm still searching.
trustwiz@myfastmail.com
In plain language: you don't need libxau0. Just try going again to the entry for VNC Viewer at test.maemo.org, and click on the install arrow.

- Neil

Originally Posted by trustwiz View Post
trustwiz@myfastmail.com
Install the 0.6 version. I indicated in the post prior to your's that there was a new version available--0.5 is old. For more information, you can go to vncviewer.garage.maemo.org.

AaronL

Originally Posted by neiljerram View Post
In plain language: you don't need libxau0. Just try going again to the entry for VNC Viewer at test.maemo.org, and click on the install arrow.

- Neil
But you do need it to install GAIM. At least that is what mine is telling me.

Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
But you do need it to install GAIM. At least that is what mine is telling me.
OK, this has nothing to do with VNC viewer anymore and you want to install gaim. The gaim package that you want to install is for the 770, although it will work on the N800 if you get libxau0. The package is available--perhaps the easiest way to get libxau0 installed is to install osso-xterm, which also depends on libxau0. Add all the N800 repositories listed at the maemo wiki to your repository list, and you should be able to find both osso-xterm and libxau0. If you cannot figure it out from there, start a new thread, but please, don't post about gaim on this thread.

AaronL