Active Topics

Notices

[QUOTE=AaronL;29293]Interesting that it worked for you but not for others. What do you have in your repository list in the application manager (or whatever the equivalent is for the N800)?

I had the .41 version installed prior to installing .5, so maybe it installed some of the dependencies which other people are missing when they try to install .5? I don't recall whether I installed .41 from repository or .deb. I did uninstall .41 before installing .5, though. I installed .5 by clicking on the .install file for bora

Originally Posted by tolou View Post
I also got the libxau0 problem as 'rjungmann' above. The description above is misleadingly suggesting to just go for the .deb installation, so I did... Now I need to remove the 'installable application' package to start all over. How do I do that?
Just to confirm, did you install using the .deb file or the .install file? There is a specific .install file for the N800 (the bora one), although neither Detlef nor I have tested it, as neither of us has a N800. Preliminary testing of the 0.4.1 version on the N800 by other users indicated that VNC viewer, at least for version 0.4.1, works on the N800. Perhaps there is something different about 0.5, but at the same time, one user has already stated that he has installed 0.5 on his N800, which demonstrates that it is possible for it to work fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'installable application' package. If you installed via the .deb file, then it should just be a matter of uninstalling the package from the application manager (or the N800's equivalent). If you installed via the .install file, then you will need to both uninstall the package via the application manager and possibly remove the repository from the application manager that was added by using the .install file.

Since other users are having problems on the N800 with the package, I think what I will do is build the package using the new maemo 3.0 development environment and post a new 0.5.1 version for the N800. However, I won't have time until at least Saturday night to work on this.

AaronL

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
Interesting that it worked for you but not for others. What do you have in your repository list in the application manager (or whatever the equivalent is for the N800)?
I had the .41 version installed prior to installing .5, so maybe it installed some of the dependencies which other people are missing when they try to install .5? I don't recall whether I installed .41 from repository or .deb. I did uninstall .41 before installing .5, though. I installed .5 by clicking on the .install file for bora
Could you provide a list of the relevant repositories that you have in the repositories list? Perhaps you have a repository specified that caused libxau to be downloaded and installed, and the others do not have this repository specified.

AaronL

By "native", I meant "Default". Sorry.

I am using the built-in VNC server in OS X. Sorry, I don't know what version that is, or how I would find out (Google doesn't know. If Google doesn't know, no-one knows, because Google is God :-) ).

16 bit and Default both work. 8 bit crashes immediately after entering the password.

Is there a console on this thing, so I can give you some idea why it crashed?

Just tried it with OSXVNC from Redstone Software and 8 bit works fine.

Perhaps something to add to the FAQ/ReadMe?

More info: looking at my console.log, it looks like the VNC server crashed. So: not handling the server crashing would seem to be your problem.

Thanks for all the work. This will be tremendously useful.

libxau0 Problem - find download - where - concretely ?????

Thanks in advance

Fidibus

Well, I managed to get it to install now!
The repositories of Mistral/contrib &org must be installed as well, see
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/OS2007_Tested_Applications

Originally Posted by tolou View Post
Well, I managed to get it to install now!
The repositories of Mistral/contrib &org must be installed as well, see
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/OS2007_Tested_Applications
For those who aren't very familiar with installing maemo apps or their associated repositories, any chance you can post a step-by-step? Thanks.

Jeff

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
I am beginning to appreciate VNC. Let me share my experiences with other linux novices like me.

PCLinuxOS runs on my desktop PC connected to a wireless ADSL router. In a Terminal window I run "vncserver -geometry 800x480 -depth 16" (after adding vncserver with Synaptic and setting the password on first run). On the N800 I run VNCViewer to connect to the server using the address 192.168.1.101:1 (referring to screen #1 on the address given to my PC) and hey presto, I have a complete (!) linux running on my N800 in full screen without scrolling

How about specific links and/or pathnames with distribution and component names in the Application Catalog and the order in which they need to be installed (if necessary)? If someone could post those steps for the N800, that would be great. Thanks.

Jeff