Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Thanks Pushwall. The MerckManual works fine, except it does NOT take advantage of the SD-1. It all stays in the 64MB of the GVM internal memory...and also very fragile, it crashed about once a month. It is annoying, especially when you spent 2 -3 hrs to install ALL your favorite progs. I tried the trick to copy the gvm backup copy back to .gvm, it does NOT do the trick, or it does the trick but refuse to hotsync...oh well, I love the gvm, but it is so fragile . It seems the more 64 MB you use, the more it crash. Is that your experience? If so, install progs on SD-1 may fix it, maybe. I will try your trick over the weekend, thanks again,

I found out the ONLY way to make a hotsync work, if it has been working before, is to uninstall and re-install gvm.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-12 at 00:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
It seems the more 64 MB you use, the more it crash. Is that your experience? If so, install progs on SD-1 may fix it, maybe. I will try your trick over the weekend, thanks again,
Most definitely,...the more of the 64MB you use, the more it crashes. I've got most all my programs installed over on SD-1 and it rarely crashes now. Since I play games with it, I find the other problem is with sound,....I'm always having to reset the sound system since some sounds, expecially MIDI, seem to shut the sound off and make it unstable. GVM acts just like a moody woman sometimes,...you have to treat her just right and learn the right strokes so she'll give you what you want!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Thanks Pushwall. The MerckManual works fine, except it does NOT take advantage of the SD-1. It all stays in the 64MB of the GVM internal memory...and also very fragile, it crashed about once a month.
Hey bun, one positive thing I found tonight gives hope to the MerckManual not crashing in GVM if installed on the SD-1 card. I use eReader and have never had luck getting it to work with the 10 megabyte Webster Collegiate Dictionary without GVM eventually crashing. I now have my ebooks and the Collegiate dictionary on the SD-1 card, and they work great together....no crashing! Hopefully, you'll find the same thing with the MerckManual if you can get it installed on the SD-1 card.

The MerckManual works fine, except it does NOT take advantage of the SD-1. It all stays in the 64MB of the GVM internal memory...and also very fragile, it crashed about once a month.
I have no experience with this particular eBook, but I'm using several german medical eBooks, some are Mobipocket eBooks, others have a proprietary format. They all start fine from Palm/laucher and do not have to be installed in RAM.

It is annoying, especially when you spent 2 -3 hrs to install ALL your favorite progs. I tried the trick to copy the gvm backup copy back to .gvm, it does NOT do the trick, or it does the trick but refuse to hotsync...oh well, I love the gvm, but it is so fragile . It seems the more 64 MB you use, the more it crash. Is that your experience? If so, install progs on SD-1 may fix it, maybe.
Yes, this definitely will help. And using some Palm backup program. Resco backup works fine, and will restore all of your Palm apps and data in less than 5 seconds (in my case). You will never again have to spend 2 to 3 hours for reinstallation.

Complete reformat of the gvm store and restore from Resco backup takes less time than one single soft reset on my LD. BTW, this kinda has been posted by pushwall before.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZehHa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
..Complete reformat of the gvm store and restore from Resco backup takes less time than one single soft reset on my LD. BTW, this kinda has been posted by pushwall before.
How do you use backup with Resco? I see a menu called pack. You mind to give more info? TIA,

bun

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
One of the reasons it's so fragile, specially when the storage heap is larger than 16MiB, it's because gvm"launcher" is not waiting for gvm to completely die before allowing the user to launch another gvm instance.

Try it: just keep top open. Close gvm, and you'll see it stays alive for at least 10 seconds. Launch gvm while the "older" gvm is still closing and watch your files disappear.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Wow, that is a good observation. So you are saying, if you wait awhile when you turn off GVM before re-start, then it wont crash. That is good to know. And you also implied GVM is more stable if it is 16 MB rather than 64 MB. I guess if one can install things on SD card, then maybe 16 MB would be enough. Thanks, I am trying now and see how it goes.

Now my hotsync does not work. I realize the only way to resurrect the hotsync is to re-install gvm. I got quite some apps installed now and do not want to go from scratch, if i do not have to. I am thinking to copy the gvm.store somewhereelse, and re-install gvm and then re-copy the gvm.store back. I am not quite whether that will work, and now trying to search old thread to learn how to do it. Anybody want to give me a lift? TIA,

bun

Edit:
backup: cp /home/user/.gvm/gvm.store /media/mmc1/.
restore: cp /media/mmc1/gvm.store /home/user/.gvm/.

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-15 at 00:05.

I tried again to install MerckManual to SD card, it wrote a file but returned with,

"vfsErrVolumeFull"

"0 byte written"

Does it mean the vol is full? How to get around? TIA,

bun

How do you use backup with Resco? I see a menu called pack. You mind to give more info?
My pleasure!

First of all: "Resco" is the name of the software company, not the name of one particular application. You need "Resco Backup", which is the backup application of that company. Other backup apps (like freeware NVbackup) don't work, because they assume a NVFS, which the GVM does not have. English version can be downloaded from here, links to versions in different languages are available as well. Copy the PRC to card (/media/mmcx/Palm/launcher/), it can be started from there after selecting category "Slotx" in the standard Palm launcher. Alternatively it can be loaded to RAM (using FileZ e. g.). Even when staying in RAM, and GVM is running, the scheduled backup does not reliably start automatically (at least this is my experience on my NT800), so I recommend frequent manual backups. In the preferences menu you can enter the location of your backup file. Then press the big "Backup" button - all finished.

In case of a crash you start Resco Backup from the card, press "restore", chose the backup file from the set of files (I have usually five backup sets present), and press "Reset" afterwards.

BTW: Resco Backup works with one particular HotSync name only. It you decide to install it with a NULL HotSync name, and switch your HotSync name afterwards (e. g. with the -u gvm start option), Resco Backup will not find you formerly created backup sets. You need the MultiUser hack to get Resco Backup working properly again.

HTH

Regards

Carsten

Last edited by ZehHa; 2009-05-15 at 08:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZehHa For This Useful Post:
I tried again to install MerckManual to SD card, it wrote a file but returned with,

"vfsErrVolumeFull"

"0 byte written"

Does it mean the vol is full? How to get around? TIA,
My only suggestion is to do the manual install method I mentioned before. It's fairly fast and easy to do. If it doesn't work you can quickly delete the files and move on. If the manual method is what you're using and you're getting that error when running the MerckManual program, I'm pretty much at a loss on what to tell you.

You might also want to consider another Resco product,...Resco Explorer,....it's a nice file management utility with backup, ftp, networking, and bluetooth suport. The built-in backup isn't as full-featured as their main Backup product, but it does a great job for a fast manual backup or restore.

Last edited by Pushwall; 2009-05-15 at 12:51.

Tags
garnet, palm