Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
quick guess is that the database is missing a collumn. not sure on a fix tho...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I just installed mNotes, and I can't get it to work. If I press any of the three buttons on the left bottom (+, pencil, screen), I get Untitled added to the left pane. This happens regardless of what field my cursor is in or if I have anything selected. If I click the Magnifying Glass icon, then all entries in the left pane (all of which just say Untitled) disappear. If I doubleclick on any of the Untitleds in the left pane, nothing happens.

So the only place I can even add anything is in the right pane (where it says "Welcome to mnotes"), but when I close and re-open the app, none of what I've written is saved.

The only menus I have are Launch Google Sync, Preferences, and About. None of those let me save or add anything, either.

Am I missing something??

Thanks!
I have the same problem, with the version I installed directly from the developer's site.

First of all, the screenshot on the site differs significantly from the download and like you, none of the buttons do what they're supposed to and nothing is saved.

Pity, it looked like a nice app...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Is Khertan (Benoît Hervier) still developing/maintaining the mNotes, mCalender, etc... suite of programs? There is no movement on his webpage and he doesn't reply to emails about the problems with the latest build of mNotes.

Does someone know more about this? After all, we've already had this kind of problem. Remember Gene Cash's PIM suite that has disappeared?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i have had a email exchange with him recently about mnotes, so yes he is still working on it from what i can tell...

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hi !

Yes i m still developping it. I ven t answer to all email receive yet as i was ill i take some delay.

I ve also uploaded a 0.3.2 version of mNotes in extras devel which should fix the problem.
Concerning my web site i ve planned a refine of it.

Thx

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Hi !

Yes i m still developping it. I ven t answer to all email receive yet as i was ill i take some delay.

I ve also uploaded a 0.3.2 version of mNotes in extras devel which should fix the problem.
Concerning my web site i ve planned a refine of it.

Thx
DL-ed mNotes moments ago. It seems to work nicely. A very cool app indeed.

I tried a few others and they're generally in the same user-friendly ballpark. Just two questions: Would it be possible to disable the "boilerplate" text ("untitled" in mNotes title, "Enter a description" in mTasks, maybe others I forget)? The reason: I tend to use the fullscreen fingerboard almost exclusively and highlighted text loses the highlight in the switch from stylusboard to fingerboard (yet another Nokia "design" decision that's totally lost on me).

Secondly: I think it would be nice if the homescreen applets could launch the full application they belong to. Maybe a button?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Thanks, Khertan! mNotes version 0.3.2 works for me too. Overall I like it very much and expect to get a lot of use from it.

A few comments ...

It's crashed on me a number of times already, in a pretty short time. I don't know why.

It appears that the Search function (magnifying glass) searches only the content-field and not the title-field, too. I wish it searched both. While I'm most interested in the text-aspect of mNotes, and wish it searched those titles, ability to search titles is especially important for the drawings and photos, which have no text in the content-field.

It seems that I often have to hit the magnifying glass twice for it to execute a search.

I think there should be a one-button way to clear the search field and, at the same time, to return all the titles to the left pane after a search has been completed.

This change is probably already on your to-do list as an incomplete implementation of what you've done: Word-wrap is great and I'm immensely glad you have it; I wish, however, that it put its end-of-lines at the end of words and after punctuation, rather than after a set number of characters, which often puts breaks in the middle of words. (I like it that you made the pane widths adjustable, and that your word-wrap accommodates that.)

If the synchronization with Google worked, with what Google WebApp would it be synchronizing? (Personally, I've grandfathered into Google Notebook, so that would work for me. But, since Google is apparently discontinuing Notebook, that wouldn't be much help for most people.) Synching with a web-based notebook or PIM would indeed be fantastic.

If you're open to suggestions: I would really like it also if the Searched-for character string were highlighted when the field in which it is found opens.

And if mNotes could import and export in a widely-used format, that would be great. If import and export is made more difficult by including the drawing and photo capability, would you consider releasing a text-only sub-set of mNotes that could import and export in comma-delimited format? Or, better yet, could an import-export be devised that simply omitted the records that had more than text, thus allowing a complete mNotes but with simple, effective import-export capability for text records?

Where is the mNotes data file(s) located?

Thanks again for this program. I'd been looking for something like the old Macintosh Quickdex, and this is certainly the closest I've found. While I like the efficient simplicity of QuickDex, mNotes clearly has some worthwhile advantages. I like it.

(I hope I haven't stuck my nose into your business more than you like, as I realize all this is all unsolicited.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-02-08 at 17:34.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Hey, Khertan, just curious if you're still developing mNotes, if you have anything to say to any of my previous post here.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)