Active Topics

I have a Nokia N810 with the latest firmware. There is one thing that is annoying me though. When an application like the Control panel, or the file manager has a "period of inactivity", the application goes into sleep mode. This is displayed by two zz's in the icon on the left hand side of the screen. When you touch the icon to go back to the application, it displays in the top right hand corner "File manager - Resuming". This hangs up the tablet, and is pointless to my knowledge.

I need some help disabling this "feature". Thank you for your help in advance.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by tehforum View Post
...the application goes into sleep mode. This is displayed by two zz's in the icon...
What you're seeing are applications you have not used for a bit being suspended to free up memory for other applications you are actively using. The delay on switching to a suspended application occurs because the application must be reloaded from flash--while something else is suspended to make room. To avoid this, enable virtual memory on your tablet by opening the Control panel, double-tapping "Memory", selecting the "Virtual" tab, and using the options there to "Extend virtual memory". Devoting the maximum of 128 MB is almost always the best choice.

Hi, thank you for your input, you have enlightened me. However, the last time I enabled virtual memory, it resulted in corrupting my internal memory card, so I had a lot of hassle trying to buy a external card, backing up my data, and flashing my tablet. That's the only reason I'm hesitant to enable virtual memory again.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
there was a bug (unrelated to use of swap, iirc) that could corrupt the internal memory of N810's...