Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
What software is it shipping with, again? I'll leave that up to you to figure out, since I don't want to spoil the surprise for Karel.

ED has gotten the MK2 board today and will post some Angström vids

btw, I like your new avatar GA

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What software is it shipping with, again? I'll leave that up to you to figure out, since I don't want to spoil the surprise for Karel.
Angstroem on NAND and Ubuntu for download on SD. VLC Player likely to be preinstalled. Applications available as self-contained ZIP archives. There is now talk of OpenPandora becoming an Ubuntu Partner.

Name for Nokia: "Hazbin".

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
OT: karel, zips?
I thought zips were not the default file format for linux.
are the applications going to be installable with some recognised (semi) sane packaging system?

personally think "isgonnarock" or "wegotacamera" will be a better name

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
OT: karel, zips?
I thought zips were not the default file format for linux.
are the applications going to be installable with some recognised (semi) sane packaging system?

personally think "isgonnarock" or "wegotacamera" will be a better name
The idea is that all packages are self-contained and will have no outside dependencies other than the libraries installed on NAND. It's not the most storage space-conscious idea, but it makes installing software on removable media very easy and idjit-proof (you should read some of the posters on the Pandora forum).

And it never really "rocked" for me, more like a bluesy feeling. Also, the camera, I've never used it. At all.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
The idea is that all packages are self-contained and will have no outside dependencies other than the libraries installed on NAND. It's not the most storage space-conscious idea, but it makes installing software on removable media very easy and idjit-proof (you should read some of the posters on the Pandora forum).
I feel this is precisely the forward-thinking that Linux distros need. On every distro I've used, the filesystem is a spaghetti mess, with little order except through the myopic vision of the individual application developer. What results is a savage free-for-all of file placement, and one that requires esoteric scripts and complex applications to manage the mess!

I would gladly trade storage space for easy, consistent, fool-proof installs, especially considering that the amount of additional storage space required will likely be negligible compared to the sheer abundance of storage currently available.

Kudos to the pandora team for taking these pro-active steps to a persistent issue! I predicted a while back that the proliferation of linux devices would lead to new solutions to old problems, especially considering that these brave new platforms have no 'legacy' systems to satisfy. The sheer number of new platforms yield a good test-bed to see what works best -- the true benefit of a competitive environment.

All eyes now turn to the mobile; unlikely trend-setters.

YARR!
}:^)~

Capster

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
changing the subject, I dread to think what will happen when a common linked library requires a security update.
You are left having to patch files in numerous places or not be protected at all.

swings and roundabouts chaps, a central repository of known good automatically updating code (ala extras) appears to work quite nicely as well as ensuring that the program you installed 6 months ago is still available even after XYZ developer ups and leaves for pastures new.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
changing the subject, I dread to think what will happen when a common linked library requires a security update.
You are left having to patch files in numerous places or not be protected at all.
An excellent point, and a draw-back of including libraries as part of the application package: the added complexity of maintaining security.

This raises an interesting question: what would you prefer? More security or simpler installs?

YARR!
}:^)~

Oh Captain!

To answer two posts: On a portable device with only removable storage (I don't consider the NAND storage), I take ease of use over security every day.

swings and roundabouts chaps, a central repository of known good automatically updating code (ala extras) appears to work quite nicely as well as ensuring that the program you installed 6 months ago is still available even after XYZ developer ups and leaves for pastures new.
Yes, because this has never happened on Maemo. Do you want me to list the number of applications that would run on ITOS2005 and ITOS2006 that I can't get to work on later OS versions? Do you? Because I can.