Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Very important : Disable the extras devel repository

Hello everyone! After a huge break we are back with a new release. Actually this is more a fix to update all the libraries as we are officially releasing the new EFL based Carman as well.

This version is not Beta10 yet due to the instability caused to some core components while testing the beta10. So we decided to step back a little release just a updated for the new versions of the library, improved a little bit the core build system and for sure we debugged a little bit some core features. But honestly speaking no major changes on this version.

The main changes are coming in beta10, that will be starting next week, and also we are preparing the code and servers to receive the full source code, as our plan is to release Canola totally open source in beta10. Maybe it time to stop calling it beta.

So we apologize again to those expecting beta10, but we prefer not to release it instead of releasing a buggy version.

Stay tuned for more news, confirmed feature set for beta10 and the new website for the opensource release!

Very important : Disable the extras devel repository

It is very important that you disabled the extras devel repository. The extras devel is a developer grade repository meant to test highly advanced code in early stages, this means that it can break your apps if you mix stuff. So if you know what you are doing fine but if you have doubts it is better to just disabled it and prevent errors between newer version (beta10) files and the beta9 update files.

- Updated Enlightenment Foundation Libraries to SVN revision 36098.
- Adapted Canola code to the new version of the EFL.
- Updated light media scanner to the newest version (0.2.0).
- Adapted Canola code to the new version of LMS.
- Completely rewritten image thumbnailer which runs as a separate process.
- Updated youtube plugin to the new Youtube API.
- Small fix on the process of creation of user's ~/.canola directory.

Coming soon:

- The Canola theme maker webservice: you can upload your sliced images and we will compile and generate the installable theme for you
- A new upnp backend, that will allow the control point features you have been requesting
- Improved scanner / Cover art download system

How To install Guide
Please try to follow this, to avoid losing your data (.canola folder will be deleted if you use canola cleanup)

If you are running Canola beta9 (the regular release) and didn't try the beta10:
a. Please make sure you don't have the extras-devel repository enabled and...
b. just go to the application manager and update. Everything will work fine.

If you are running Canola beta10 :
a. Unninstall Canola beta10
b. Remove the extras-devel repository
c. Update / refresh the app catalogue
d. Install canola beta9 from it normally

If you are facing problems after doing that you can run Canola cleanup
but this will kill your .canola folder (your preferences, podcasts etc)
so you have 2 options :
a. backup manually your folder before runing canola cleanup
b. backup using the system utility for that.

We will improve the canola cleanup to add the option to preserve data, but this app was meant to clean really hard problems that could have damaged the structure of the .canola folder and thus prevents canola from working.

Best Regards,

Canola team
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Last edited by handful; 2008-11-17 at 13:38.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I've downgraded & now get a pop-up "Local drive is out of space. Going to exit Canola" & it quits. I currently have 41.5M free on root & almost a gig free on each of the internal & external cards on my N810. No messages when I run it via command line, same problem. HELP!
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I'lll wait until Grog's issue is sorted.

Canola is not what it supposed to be at the beginning of the year. The tablet software development is standstill. I see what the iphone became in one year and what the tablets are in three and I cry. I'm so disappointed...

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
Canola is not what it supposed to be at the beginning of the year. The tablet software development is standstill. I see what the iphone became in one year and what the tablets are in three and I cry. I'm so disappointed...
I for one am not so quick to jump on that bandwagon. Give these guys some time, they'll sort it out. What more can you ask for free software & free tech support? .
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
I downgraded and there is nothing displayed when canola is started no icon, menu nothing, i uninstalled, reinstalled the same thing. i will check if there is some updates next week.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ chicago
this app has been a major dissapointment for me i had hope but now....

Hi Guys,

Can you please me inform how did you downgraded? so we can replicate the issue here? Did you used the canola cleanup / cleanup from EXTRAS (not extras devel)
made sure you disabled extras devel etc?

This issues are clearly looking like conflict of versions.

As for the problems : I am really sorry. But as everyone knows this is a free software and we were trying to get people working (paid) on the software and they *** up the whole software. As I am really worried with the users and their opinions it was a painful decision but I decided to drop all the beta10 development done so far (a couple of months) because the situation was way worst than we could have imagined.

Luckly, I entered a personal fight and with the help of my boss got authorization to bring back in the team Barbieri and Ulisses, the main creators of Canola, so I would just ask a little bit of your patience that things will be back on track quite fast, and we have the plans up to 10 months of development for canola2 and ofcourse the main critics / bugs said here are top priority.

I kind of feel the same as said here, that the tablet software is "kind" of stopped, but We are at least trying to do our part. There's a couple of nice plans, but we are only 6 and a half people working on canola (now) it was way less before. So it's not fair to charge more than we can do, and we do that for free. We are going to deploy the full source, but being honest.. I don't believe the tablet devs will pick up and help it. Anyhow We are following a "dream" of having a "Canola2" non beta release where the basic features are rock solid and from there we are just going to make sure things are clear and clean for the users.

Sorry again for the mess on installation and uninstallation issues but let's be honest : the app installer also doesn't help. People do have several repositories, and even when you write on red, that extras-devel and extras conflict, they don't disable it. We will do our best, but this takes times and we need .. actually that's the only thing we ask from you in return : information when giving feedback.
Saying it doesn't work is not good. Say what you did, say your repositories say what happens if you type canola on xterm.

That will speed up everything

BR

Marcelo

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Downgraded to Beta9...

comments...stuttering video, aspect ratio in framed screen is off, but is correct in fullscreen.

Rdcinhou :
(the stuttering video we have been talking about it quite many times: it's mplayer embedded mode in specific? versions is worse. unfortunately this we cannot do nothing but wait mplayer to improve) -
anyhow the important part is the aspect ratio:
So it's stretching on the non-fullscreen on youtube ? is that what you mean?
sorry for asking if it's dumb... but it's just to make sure.. (because it was not supposed to change from beta9 to this)

BR

Marcelo