Active Topics

Hello I have the N800,

I have Verizon wireless broadband via a USB cell modem

I have tried to get the N800 to hook up to my iMAC over WIFI to share the internet connection. does not work

So I hook the verizon modem to my Asus G1S notebook and try it that way.

basically I have zero networking skills,

I do have a Asus WL-330GE pocket acces point available but I have no idea how to use it or set it up.

and now my wife is giving me the evil eye because I cannot get it hooked up.

I'm a mechanical engineer but still cannot grasp all the network settings to make it work.

I would be VERY greatful if someone that knows about this stuff could at least point me in the right direction.

I have been looking on my own and playing with network settings for 3 months now and am finally going to ask for help.

Save yourself the headache and buy a cheap wireless hub to go between your modem and your imac. Then the imac and your n800 can both hook into the wireless hub.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:373|&Sort=4

They can start at $30. Or less if you Froogle it. There's even a $40 one with a print server. Get a dual antenna if you need the wireless to reach further.

Then if a friend or family member comes over with a laptop, they can easily hook on to your internet connection too.

Whatever you make as a mechanical engineer makes the time you've spent a bust. Don't waste any more time than it takes to buy a WRT54G (a favorite by many).

Do you tether your tablet to a blackberry? Vote for Nokia to fix the DUN bug so your mobile connectivity experience improves.

coool. Thanks for the link. I would have thought the stupid airport in the iMac would work. It works with my laptop and iPhone.

And your right. Need to just order that hub and be done with it.

Thanks a ton for your help and the link

That cheap router is not going to help with your wireless boardband access modem. you need to buy EVDO router such as this
then, your N800 and laptops can share verizon wireless boardband connection through wifi.

I can't tell whether you're trying to share the EVDO connection from the iMac or from the N800. Though an EVDO router will be the easiest solution, I've been able to bridge networks in OS X and it worked perfectly.

OH !!! crap that is why it was not working, I need the EVDO router. man I was just about to order that router from tiger.

now it makes sense why I could not get the Asus pocket acces point/gateway working. lol I was pulling my hair out.

Ill take a look at the EVDO routers now.

thanks guys

Originally Posted by FierceDeityLink1 View Post
I can't tell whether you're trying to share the EVDO connection from the iMac or from the N800. Though an EVDO router will be the easiest solution, I've been able to bridge networks in OS X and it worked perfectly.

Yes I have the EVDO USB dongle on the iMAC and want to share that connection over WIFI to my N800

Originally Posted by superdave420 View Post
Yes I have the EVDO USB dongle on the iMAC and want to share that connection over WIFI to my N800
I'm not sure exactly about USB EVDO modems, but what I did was go to the Sharing preference pane > Internet Sharing > Share your Connection from Bluetooth > To computers using: AirPort

I guess instead of "Bluetooth", you'd select the EVDO modem. You may have to manually set the IP address/gateway of the clients, but I heard DHCP works in Leopard.

Originally Posted by FierceDeityLink1 View Post
I'm not sure exactly about USB EVDO modems, but what I did was go to the Sharing preference pane > Internet Sharing > Share your Connection from Bluetooth > To computers using: AirPort

I guess instead of "Bluetooth", you'd select the EVDO modem. You may have to manually set the IP address/gateway of the clients, but I heard DHCP works in Leopard.
it might be because I am not using leopard yet.

i'll try switching the sharring option to the pantech usb modem and see if that works as well. those EVDO routers are not cheap but I'll get it if I have to.

I just really want to get some use out of this before it goes obsolete