Active Topics

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Spain
I bought a biggest and fastest SD Card to replace my internal SD when I have my cloned OS2008. How can I do that? I'm no linux expert.

rscasas,

The following thread provides complete information on how to clone your partition, may I suggest that you at least read the first page of that thread as you may find it answers most, if not all of your questions.

Additionally, you may get a better response to your queries if you use that thread as it is regularly read and responded in.

Good Luck!

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...631#post185631

If that is too complex, and you prefer an even easier way to do it, one of the well-respected members of this great community has completely automated the process. You can find information on this at:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19639

Last edited by Red; 2008-05-30 at 10:13. Reason: Added link to Deb, corrected abysmal spelling.

The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
There are three major threads on cloning.
Ranging from simple to very complex.
The more complex one gets the more options one has.
The simplest will clone your system (and ASSumiing you have an N800) will use your entire SD card. It's almost a waste of any SD card greater then 2Gb.
Search for :cloning OR clone in the title.
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
I suppose haven't explain the matter well.
I don't want to clone my OS2008 in my n800 flash memory, because is the OS just installed (the first I did was clone to the small SD card). I want to clone the ext2 partition on my small SD card (where is my OS2008 full of programs and custom configured) to another biggest card.
Something like partitioning big SD and then backup all the data from small SD to big SD . Or do a "ghost" image of the ext2 partition and then recover in the big SD. I know how to do that in Windows and FAT partitions but no idea in linux and ext2 partitions.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by rscasas View Post
I suppose haven't explain the matter well....Or do a "ghost" image of the ext2 partition and then recover in the big SD. I know how to do that in Windows and FAT partitions but no idea in linux and ext2 partitions.
If you use Windows and want to make a backup of your partitions (a real backup, not like the included Nokia backup), I suggest Acronis True Image. (Thanks, dont, for the suggestion.) Version 11 works for this; Version 9 does not; I don't know about Version 10. You can even use it to make a copy of your SD card that has the cloned system.

They have 30 days free trial. I used it once and i like it.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
How did you clone it the first time?

if you did it manually, do it the same way, but copy from ext2 instead of flash.

just mount both sd cards,

or make tarball and untar ?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-06-03 at 02:02.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
...or make tarball and untar ?

Do it ONLY ONLY if you know what you are doing. Of course PB knows what he is doing . If you do not pay attention to the path, the untar will untar at the same/original directory when the tarball was made and made A BIG MESS. Sure, I learned from very painful experience. You have been warned

bun

Boot from internal, mount them both, and use cp -a...
But tar and untar is good, because it gives you the tar as a pleasing side effect -- a backup.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
If you use Windows and want to make a backup of your partitions (a real backup, not like the included Nokia backup), I suggest Acronis True Image. (Thanks, dont, for the suggestion.) Version 11 works for this; Version 9 does not; I don't know about Version 10. You can even use it to make a copy of your SD card that has the cloned system.

They have 30 days free trial. I used it once and i like it.

bun
Acronis 11 Works!
Very easy.
Thanks!