I purchased and received a USB OTG adapter from this source -- http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1781 . When initially inserted, it gave preliminary indication that it could work, i.e., it was recognized by the N800. (Don't ask me, please, to be more explicit.) Now I can't reboot my N800, and when I attempt to reflash I get a message that something is either wrong with my USB cable (which isn't the case) or I don't have the correct USB driver working. In any event, when I try to turn on my N800 it makes an initial attempt, then goes black and dies. When I use the Nokia Wizard to reboot, it finds the device, loads the update, but can't install it, giving the message reported above, at which point it dies again. With all my good experience with my Nokia's over the years, have I finally destroyed one? Help.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
Does this happen when you are plugged in to AC?

Originally Posted by devaler View Post
Does this happen when you are plugged in to AC?
No. I believe the Wizard instructions caution not to be plugged into AC -- which is probably what you're suggesting is the probable cause of my problem.

WAIT: I just rethought what you asked, and tried booting while on AC -- and that worked! You're brilliant -- if I can now reboot when not on AC.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2008-03-21 at 20:35.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
You should be able to reflash. Bootldr is separate from rootfs.

I think you will need linux and flasher-3.0. Windows updater is useless.

Hey, you guys -- I think my problem may (and I emphasize MAY) be that my battery had gotten too low, and because I wasn't able to boot, I had no screen indication of that. Of course, if that was really my problem, common sense should have told me to try to charge my battery first. However, the only doubt I may have stems from the fact that I recharged only last night but left the N800 on but closed, and in that state my N800 has been all right for days. Therefore, it's still something of a mystery to me. The fact that it occurred when trying out the new USB OTG adapter spooked me out. Thanks much to both of you for your very quick responses. Regards, Jim

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
some of the USB adapters form that site had sodlering flaws,m too much solder and screwed connectors. might have been that it somehow damagedthe USB port. did you try usb after it now worked again?

Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
some of the USB adapters form that site had sodlering flaws,m too much solder and screwed connectors. might have been that it somehow damagedthe USB port. did you try usb after it now worked again?
Yep. USB works fine. Now, instead of trying again to use the adapter, I've installed Mara's hack, and can switch back and forth between OTG and HOST through the Extras menu. I feel more comfortable for now doing that until I experiment further with what the HOST mode will accomplish for me. I really want it to play N800 music through an external USB-connected amplifier. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
some of the USB adapters form that site had sodlering flaws,m too much solder and screwed connectors.
You sure about this? A rather large accusation to toss around without proof.

/me is a happy user of two of jolouis's excellent adaptors.

As it doesn't actually seem to have been an issue with the adaptor. It's just a touch rude to defame somebody's product by leaving the topic title as-is.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-03-21 at 22:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Yep. USB works fine. Now, instead of trying again to use the adapter, I've installed Mara's hack, and can switch back and forth between OTG and HOST through the Extras menu. I feel more comfortable for now doing that until I experiment further with what the HOST mode will accomplish for me. I really want it to play N800 music through an external USB-connected amplifier. Thanks for the info.
I just wanted to affirm that the $6.00 USB adapter I purchased in fact works fine. As an experiment, I unrolled my old rubber USB keyboard, plugged it into the adapter, and typed away in xterm without a problem. (This successful use of a USB keyboard has recently been reported in another thread on this forum -- which I hadn't seen until I'd already successfully tried my own keyboard.) Now if only we could figure out how to get a digital audio feed through the N800 USB port using this device.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Seriously. You need to change the topic title. You're defaming a perfectly good product for no reason at all.