Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Coderus quote of the day
Super app IS parnerspace app, just with different marketing name. If you change your ambience your super app will gone

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Nice! To put the current TRIP into perspective a little (AnTuTu Overall):

The Jolla Tablet still leads with 39,420

JollaC: 18,411, Jolla Phone, 15,103, Nexus5 on sfdroid 34,272
Those scores are not representative of Sailfish performance. They're representative of performance in Alien Dalvik.

As has been discussed a few times, the two are really not related at all ... Alien Dalvik can address the hardware and schedule task properly, Sailfish cannot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Those scores are not representative of Sailfish performance.
Sure, thats why i try to collect all possible benchmarks and will wait patently until someone provides the console and sailfish browser marks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I never see those "reviews" unless I know that the reviewer know MeeGo, Maemo or Linux , such as Amanda Lam for instance....
Good points but I'll have to kindly disagree. The purpose of any mobile OS that's wanting to be different needs to be at least intuitive. Folks that knew MeeGo/Maemo were having some initial difficulties with Jolla Sailfish in the initial release days. There were folks (some I honestly thought were joking) that were having issues with the gestures and so forth.

Knowing a preceding OS should not be required. I do UX all day; the moment I make the user think, I've started to fail. It should work in a way that the user finds appealing.

Sadly, some folks just fall back into Android or iOS patterns for something they hold in their hands.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I never see those "reviews" unless I know that the reviewer know MeeGo, Maemo or Linux , such as Amanda Lam for instance.

Otherwise it will be only 2 outcomes:

- The device shares certain similarities of UI with iOS: Praise for the similarities and criticise for what is missing while iPhone has. Summerize the similarities as pros and what missing as cons.

- The device is completely different from what he knows (mainly they only know iphone): They don't have a clue at what it is and make simple but stupid conclusions. Mainly missing iOS and showing stupidity and lack of capabilities require a minimum intelligence.

The above review looks like the second category to me.
This is exactly my point. They shouldn't even do reviews after poking around for an hour or two, in a totally unknown OS. It is unfair to both developers and dedicated users.
Do they even know how much damage they cause by writing reviews, utterly ignorant of what they write about? I don't think so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eson View Post
This is exactly my point. They shouldn't even do reviews after poking around for an hour or two, in a totally unknown OS. It is unfair to both developers and dedicated users.
Do they even know how much damage they cause by writing reviews, utterly ignorant of what they write about? I don't think so.
And yet, that criticism from a neophyte can actually help open up more doors too; if it were collected and utilized properly.

I get it. There was an inevitable outrage about how this was perceived by an "outsider" that probably knows more about Android or iOS. Yet... ever thought that those difficulties is what is holding back your favorite OS from being adopted deeply by enough people it will last beyond just a few years or a few scant releases?

Of course I'm talking heresy, ignoring how much time the devoted fans have placed into Sailfish, MeeGo and Maemo; but there's a real damn good reason why two out of three of those were not really deeply grasped by the layman.

There's a definite need for refinement in all areas. Ignoring that is folly.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And yet, that criticism from a neophyte can actually help open up more doors too; if it were collected and utilized properly.
You are probably right about that. But that would also probably end up in another main stream OS.

..ever thought that those difficulties is what is holding back your favorite OS from being adopted deeply by enough people it will last beyond just a few years or a few scant releases?.
Yes I have, but again... do we really need or want another "Android"? I know I don't.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You are probably right about that. But that would also probably end up in another main stream OS.
We've been through this so many times it hurts.The UI does not define the OS.
Oh and innovation for innovation's sake is not progress.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yeah, and plz move to the OS thread and stop derailing every single thread.

Got you all

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
There's nothing wrong with being mainstream. Linux on my server is "mainstream" and does what I expect it to do day-in and day-out.

Yes I have, but again... do we really need or want another "Android"? I know I don't.
I don't want another Android. I want something that does what I need, not what they think I'd like. What we want is what we want; I'm sure there's an overlap in there. Now to entice the people that write the applications that are worthwhile to this new platform...

That's the challenge.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone