Active Topics

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Most devs in these parts all seem to be trying to reinvent the same kinds of apps that speak to a very minor corner of use cases of what users may actually want and use.
Shock! Most of the developers we have are free software developers, and they write apps that are useful for typical Linux users. I doubt many of them care about helping people airbrush their selfies taken in Starbucks before they upload them into the botnet.

IMO, that's a plus for Sailfish, although I can see that it's at odds with the commercial success of the platform.

If Jolla wants apps that are good for "normal users", they will have to make it easy for proprietary developers to make money writing apps that interface with all of the proprietary services "normal users" love so much.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Shock! Most of the developers we have are free software developers, and they write apps that are useful for typical Linux users. I doubt many of them care about helping people airbrush their selfies taken in Starbucks before they upload them into the botnet.

IMO, that's a plus for Sailfish, although I can see that it's at odds with the commercial success of the platform.

If Jolla wants apps that are good for "normal users", they will have to make it easy for proprietary developers to make money writing apps that interface with all of the proprietary services "normal users" love so much.
The way I interpret Gerbick is that this should not be enough to claim being a developper to ask for a Jolla C because the definition of developer can be very large. The approach used for N950 was ok but had some flaws too.

And to @zogg and others, to give along merits is a nice idea. But in practice, this is a nightmare to manage. Really. And one should be prepared to spend a lot of times answering people why they did not receive their item while they are such a great person with some many great products/blogs/ or whatever. Because merits are difficult to scale from 0 to 10.
The way Jolla did it is just simple enough to let (mainly) one person manage the whole thing in a relative short period of time. The rules were pretty clear: you are on time or not.

Of course, this is not perfect. And there are complains about the fact that you should be connected, informed, and be quick. But there are no perfect systems and at least, we have a community program now

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I would feign shock; but when Sailfish goes the same way as MeeGo and Maemo; you just described why. Niche solutions for niche market on niche devices and folks complain when they receive no more support?

I'd suggest expanding that just a tad bit and enjoy a bit more success than what's existed in the past. That exclusive nature comes with a very deep handicap.

Where you see success; I see pending lack of support. Oh well, enjoy today, it might be all there will be.

I never stated directly "normal users" but I can see the direction you're going. I'd still say "expanded" users meaning outside of the stereotypical (and quite limited) use cases; but as far as it goes, my prior statement stands...

A lot of these devs do absolutely nothing with these devices. I'd say that has as negative of an impact than trying to incorporate the layman into your plans.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
This! Pretty much. Sailfish as a platform would be way more attractive (or accepted, or tolerated, or whatever) among those who don't actually care about OS (like my wifey and few billions of other dumb users with smart phone) if only there is 5 out of 10 most popular social (cr)apps on it.
And with that, a lot of other things would change.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
This! Pretty much. Sailfish as a platform would be way more attractive (or accepted, or tolerated, or whatever) among those who don't actually care about OS (like my wifey and few billions of other dumb users with smart phone) if only there is 5 out of 10 most popular social (cr)apps on it.
And with that, a lot of other things would change.
Agreed but with closed APIs and by banning users for using alternative apps you'll need the Zuckerbergs of this business to support Sailfish - whatsapp is even pulling the support for BB10 - that's why Jolla implemented Android support - and it's working - and the users who don't care about the OS won't mind using android apps ;-)

If you want them you need a few carriers on board to promote de devices to the masses - I would still prefer the niche and a small community ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Gerbick, I wasn't arguing, just saying it shouldn't be a surprise to us or to Jolla that most native SFOS apps are by nerds, for nerds.

Actually, as things stand AD is quite a nice way to segregate the crap from the good stuff- don't install it, and there's minimal exposure to commercial privacy invading rubbish.

I'd much rather pay monthly for SFOS to be maintained than have an influx of crapware to pay the bills (unless Jolla wanted to separate apps into free and nonfree repos, in which case it wouldn't affect me much at all).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Gerbick, I wasn't arguing, just saying it shouldn't be a surprise to us or to Jolla that most native SFOS apps are by nerds, for nerds.
Oh no, please do not think that I thought that for a second. I actually amended to what you were saying and did not think that you were arguing. If anything, we were discussing things. I perhaps went a bit further with my explanation of what was in my mind but I did not think we were arguing at all.

Please forgive my tone if that's how you took it. That was not my intent.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I would feign shock; but when Sailfish goes the same way as MeeGo and Maemo; you just described why. Niche solutions for niche market on niche devices and folks complain when they receive no more support?
Amen! Those words should be engraved in 10 inch high golden letters at the top of every TMO page.

Originally Posted by elastic View Post
I would still prefer the niche and a small community ;-)
You might do, but does Jolla? Can they survive selling to a niche of five die-hard fans? They sure behave like they want to but the events of last year speak otherwise.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Oh no, please do not think that I thought that for a second. I actually amended to what you were saying and did not think that you were arguing. If anything, we were discussing things. I perhaps went a bit further with my explanation of what was in my mind but I did not think we were arguing at all.

Please forgive my tone if that's how you took it. That was not my intent.
Nah don't worry, I didn't take it like that. I just mean you seemed to have read the part about success wrong - I said it was at odds with the commercial success of sailfish, even though it's something I like personally.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
The way I interpret Gerbick is that this should not be enough to claim being a developper to ask for a Jolla C because the definition of developer can be very large. The approach used for N950 was ok but had some flaws too.

And to @zogg and others, to give along merits is a nice idea. But in practice, this is a nightmare to manage. Really. And one should be prepared to spend a lot of times answering people why they did not receive their item while they are such a great person with some many great products/blogs/ or whatever. Because merits are difficult to scale from 0 to 10.
The way Jolla did it is just simple enough to let (mainly) one person manage the whole thing in a relative short period of time. The rules were pretty clear: you are on time or not.

Of course, this is not perfect. And there are complains about the fact that you should be connected, informed, and be quick. But there are no perfect systems and at least, we have a community program now
I was involved in N950 community program and participating in blackberry10 developer program.
In both cases I created at least 1 app for platform in order to get the community device.
I do not see how hard is it to manage if you can get the poll for several contributors on TJC, after all it's community program and community can decide the people who should get it.
As for devs, you can always ask them to create apps for reward(place in order, not even free device). It can be done in multiple categories (newbiews, games and etc).
It was done by few people here on TMO btw, and as it's hard - if few community members and council can do it - I do not see any reason the company that has more resources than few members with their only free time.

I think JHolla decided just to sell that way, as they do not want to take too much responsibility on that one and they used "elitism" hype of "I was one of the limited to get my hands to device". Same as OnePlus One used invites. Good marketing strategy.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os