Active Topics

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
There is hardware button for
Sure, but the slide to lock was just less fiddly for hands-free use, such as when driving

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Sure, but the slide to lock was just less fiddly for hands-free use, such as when driving
Could be, but I never had any issues with it for normal usage. It is also super convenient that you can just press it and you are back directly in the application where you were when you locked the device.

No need to activate the screen, swipe away the lockscreen and then select the application to get back to.

BTW, that's really something Sailfish OS needs to improve - you should be able to get back to the last used application instead of being dumped to the home screen every time. It is super annoying at some times.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Been playing with this for 24hrs and I have mixed feelings.

The events view is a welcome change, and I can appreciate the status bar.

I do miss the pull down menu for quick shortcuts though. I used to access Settings from that, which was a handy way to access the connection options after they removed the option to choose a connection from the browser.

The quick launch (phone, browser, message, camera) bar is useless now. You can only pull it up if you have no apps open. Otherwise you have to bring up the applications view.

On the subject of the browser, when this is in card view and you want to return to full screen, if you catch the bottom edge the browser will go to the search/shortcut screen. This feels like they are moving away from the concept of a single handed navigation paradigm of the initial design.

And the I am experiencing screen tear in the browser when viewing long page (notably reddit threads). My Jolla did this when it was still vanilla but has not in other updates from Dec onwards.

One big plus is that I do find the Jolla does connect to mobile networks after comming out of black spots much quicker.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2015-09-11 at 18:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
BTW, that's really something Sailfish OS needs to improve - you should be able to get back to the last used application instead of being dumped to the home screen every time. It is super annoying at some times.
It was in Jollas roadmap sometime ago. It is not there anymore, but that roadmap does not show September and in Q4 there isn't Sailfish UI section. I guess they might be working on it now or next the quarter.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150704...opmentroadmap/

◾On unlocking, return to the last used app instead of home

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It is also super convenient that you can just press it and you are back directly in the application where you were when you locked the device.
As long as you uinlock within 30(?) seconds.

Amen!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
I think personaly this version is really great. Especially because it dramatically simplifies the usage of the phone. Think of the 1.1.7 and previous versions, we had 2 kinds of swipes, swipes from the edge of the swipes and "normal" swipes from anywhere "within" the screen area.

No, all of this is pretty gone and you have only one kind of gesture (from "within" the screen area) + swipe from the top edge. This is far easier to understand and use.

Also, personaly, I applaud the removal of the cover swipes. I never understood the added value of swipes on covers where buttons would be far far better. Halleluya!

I just can't understand and don't appreciate the different graphical "languages" on the top of the screen when we have:
- The notifications
- The slider (volume, remorse timer, etc)
- The countdown for example when you install/remove something from OpenRepos.

In the same location of the screen, having 3 different types of data with their own graphical convention is somewhat confusing to me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by romu View Post
I never understood the added value of swipes on covers.
Because that was what Sailfish OS was all about.... Gestures

Edit:
From an interview with Marc Dillon:

What’s the difference between a Jolla smartphone and other smartphones?
“We have something fresh, fast and efficient,” says Dillon. “It gives you ways to use your phone you’ve never had before.” The phone makes use of an intuitive gesture-based interface, rather than buttons, to operate, so all functions are controlled by “swiping”, “pulling” or “peeking” gestures using the touchscreen. They are features that are familiar from other operating systems, like Apple’s iOS, but with Jolla, there’s no forward facing button. There’s also a design focus on being able to intuitively orientate the phone without looking at it.
Full article: http://www.norwegian.com/magazine/fe...EUotSfzfI2G.99

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Because that was what Sailfish OS was all about.... Gestures
Yes, that was about it. Gestures. Means to an end. We have a new hammer so everything has become a nail. Let's use gestures for everything, with no regard whether it suits the purpose or not.
Consistent? Definitely. Intuitive? Definitely not!

The new interface may have lost some of that consistency but it made up to it a thousand times with a much increased intuitivity.

This comes from someone who has used Jolla for a year and was very familiar with the interface, so you cannot accuse me of confusing intuitivity with familiarity.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
As long as you uinlock within 30(?) seconds.
Nope, I'm pretty sure there is no such limitation on the N900. You will always get the same thing on the screen as when you locked the device.

Originally Posted by romu View Post
No, all of this is pretty gone and you have only one kind of gesture (from "within" the screen area) + swipe from the top edge. This is far easier to understand and use.
Yeah, and the edge swipe & swipe notification might make some sense on a tablet (you might not be able to reach an edge sometimes) but makes much less sense on a small smartphone screen. The cost ? easy to use cover action gestures being replaced by tiny tiny buttons that are hard to click but easy to miss-click... Feels a bit like shoehorning tablet UI to a mobile phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, that was about it. Gestures. Means to an end. We have a new hammer so everything has become a nail. Let's use gestures for everything, with no regard whether it suits the purpose or not.
Consistent? Definitely. Intuitive? Definitely not!
Disagree. Sailfish 1.x with gestures was like giving a screwdriver and screws to somebody that only knows how to use a hammer, to continue your analogy.

Sailfish 2.x seems to be an admission that people are too stupid to use screwdrivers.

There was a learning curve with 1.x but with it came genuine functionality. I used edge swipes and cover actions all the time. I'd quite often use the multi tasking view to refresh email, tweetian and change music without entering each app. It's a real shame that has gone. All for the sake of people who can only operate hammers.

If I was redesigning it, I'd keep the cover actions, use edge swipes for the carousel, ditch the swipe up for apps (I never used swipe up in 1.x) and stick the app grid where they want to stick the partner space (ditch partner space). Also, ditch ambiances for an n9 style pull down top menu with quick access to volume and settings.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: