Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Has anyone else had trouble installing this via App Manager or apt-get?? App Manager is tossing errors for me left and right when I try to install...

Installing gnumeric 1.8.1-1chinook2
apt-worker: Not handling unrelated package libart-2.0-2.
apt-worker: Not handling unrelated package libpcre3.
apt-worker: Not handling unrelated package libgsf-1-114.
apt-worker: Not handling unrelated package libart-2.0-2.
apt-worker: Not handling unrelated package libpcre3.
apt-worker: Not handling unrelated package libgsf-1-114.
(Reading database ... 25198 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgoffice-0-6-common (from .../libgoffice-0-6-common_0.6.1-2chinook2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking libgoffice-0-6 (from .../libgoffice-0-6_0.6.1-2chinook2_armel.deb) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): error in buffer_read(stream): failed to write to pipe in copy: Input/output error
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing /media/mmc2/.apt-archive-cache/libgoffice-0-6_0.6.1-2chinook2_armel.deb (--unpack):
short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/goffice/0.6.1/plugins/smoothing/smoothing.a')
Unpacking gnumeric (from .../gnumeric_1.8.1-1chinook2_armel.deb) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): error in buffer_read(stream): failed to write to pipe in copy: Input/output error
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing /media/mmc2/.apt-archive-cache/gnumeric_1.8.1-1chinook2_armel.deb (--unpack):
short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/locale/en_CA/LC_MESSAGES/gnumeric.mo')
Errors were encountered while processing:
/media/mmc2/.apt-archive-cache/libgoffice-0-6_0.6.1-2chinook2_armel.deb
/media/mmc2/.apt-archive-cache/gnumeric_1.8.1-1chinook2_armel.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I'm not very familair with apt-get (I'm a Fedora user), but it doesn't seem to like me either...

# apt-get install gnumeric
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnumeric: Depends: libgoffice-0-6 (>= 0.6.1) but it is not going to be installed
libgsf-1-114: Depends: libgsf-1-common (>= 1.14.7-2chinook3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Or maybe I'm doing something stupid

Last edited by Moonshine; 2008-02-16 at 00:02.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Has anyone else had trouble installing this via App Manager or apt-get?
Well, i have tested the installation with the .install-file on my N800, which was reflashed recently, the only additional repository i had in my application manager was that i enabled the extras-repository.

In this case the installation worked without any problems.

I'm not very familair with apt-get (I'm a Fedora user), but it doesn't seem to like me either...

Or maybe I'm doing something stupid
I am very certain that the problem you are seeing may be caused with some kind of conflict between some packages, probably from other repositories. You could try to call "apt-get -f install" and see what apt-get wants to do.

At least the message "dpkg-deb (subprocess): error in buffer_read(stream): failed to write to pipe in copy: Input/output error" does not sound very nice - are you shure that you have enough space left for the packages?

I am also interested in the output of the following 2 commands:

apt-get install libgoffice-0-6
apt-get install libgsf-1-common

Regards,
Thomas

xournal being installed has been conflicting with gnumeric. May want to start checking there. More info can be found searching the forums.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Gnumeric conflicting with Xournal?

The two most attractive applications (after Canola!) and we have to decide which to use and which to uninstall?

Tell me it isn't so!

I'd propose both Gnumeric and Xournal developers to consider uploading their packages into extras[-devel]. It's much more easy to see and resolve conflicts like this there. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't happen if they uploaded their packages into extras from the very beginning.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
Originally Posted by Ed_ View Post
I'd propose both Gnumeric and Xournal developers to consider uploading their packages into extras[-devel]. It's much more easy to see and resolve conflicts like this there. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't happen if they uploaded their packages into extras from the very beginning.
The Gnumeric packages are in extras-devel allready. The problem is that the current Xournal packages (available only in a private repository atm) depend on a custom libart which uses a different package name than the libart-package Gnumeric depends on. The packages Gnumeric depends on are just straight ports of the corresponding Debian packages and i allready suggested Anidel (the maintainer of the Xournal packages) to rebuild Xournal using the libart which is used by Gnumeric. Anidel agreed that this would be the best - he also intends to upload Xournal to extras-devel, once he sorted out the problems.

My last contact with Anidel was about two weeks ago, so i do no know if he did anything about this issue yet.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I have an hack on my n810 which allows me both. Basically, I changed the dependencies declared by libgoffice-0-6 making it accept the libart package used for anidel's xournal port. Look here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1&postcount=98

Of course it's a hack and the mileage it allows may vary. So far, gnumeric seems to like it in my hands.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ St Thomas, ON, Canada
Thanks Chelli:

I appreciate the work you have put into gnumeric.

The app seems to work fine.

For people looking for a bit more than a simple budget spreadsheet this one seems to work fine.
https://www.pearbudget.com/spreadsheet/
I originally set it up on the laptop then transfered to n800.

Note: To get to the monthly sheets on the n800 go to
Format --> Sheet --> Manage Sheets and double click on the sheet you would like to access. I am sure there is an easier way, but it is eluding me.

Enjoy and thanks
Al

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Chelli View Post
My last contact with Anidel was about two weeks ago, so i do no know if he did anything about this issue yet.
I heard from him this week. Apparently he has just been too busy with his day job right now to fix this right away. He says he will try to rebuild xournal using gnumeric's libart by the end of the month.

From my testing, gnumeric will use xournal's libart successfully but xournal will not use gnumeric's libart. So if I install xournal first and then gnumeric, gnumeric will have an error on installation but will install and seems to work. Not vice versa though. So as a temporary work-around, you can install xournal first and then gnumeric and things should both start.

/Mike