Active Topics

Notices

I was wondering if there was an updated version of Gnumeric for the N800 (well, preferably for OS2008 with the release of that coming up so soon.)

I was able to install the OS2006 version fine, but the extra plugins don't work, which I assume is why the only formula that works is the SUM one.

It's not that I'd use it that often, but it'd be nice to have for the times I need it.

As far as basic spreadsheets are concerned, Gnumeric is close to complete Office 97 compatibility, and the port loses no functionality - recent updates mostly concern code cleanup, look&feel and compatibility improvements with more recent Excel versions, and fixes for bugs you'll hardly ever encounter on any real-world sheet.

If formulas are broken, you either use a very early version, or there is something broken on setup. I've been using Gnumeric almost since it has been ported, with very formula heavy sheets, and they all work, without ever loading extra packages.

Sevo

agreed; I use some fairly heavy excel formulae
and gnumeric is more than up to the task.

Can't wait for it to be ported to 2008OS-

dcarter

Well, I installed it, and there was an extra "plugins package" in the repository which wouldn't install due to something about python2.4 (I have python runtime 2.5 installed already, maybe thats why?).

I don't know, I didn't actually load up any sheets yet, but I just tried the =AVERAGE(A1:A3) formula, (obviously a very simple one) and it didn't recognize it. I clicked on the formula editor type thing and it only listed SUM as being possible. THe version I was using is 1.7.0-1indt3

My suggestion for a quick and easy confirmation
would be for you to create your averaging worksheet
via excel, and then to save, transfer, and open that worksheet
via gnumeric. That should confirm error or not...

dcarter

I too am greatly interested in an OS2008 port of Gnumeric. I absolutely love the app, especially to include the one on Bora, and it's moderately painful living without the Chinook port for now. If anyone is able to show me a path by which I could port it myself, I would do so (as I am that motivated).

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
I am working on it, expect a first working version in the next days.
(It allready compiles, but i could not test it on my N800 yet and it needs further cleanup before i would release a package.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chelli For This Useful Post:
That's great news! I will be waiting on the edge of my seat, as it were.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Me, too! Now, if somone would just make a version of unzip that would work on 2008. I was stunned when I went to run it last night and there was no such program...

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Me, too! Now, if somone would just make a version of unzip that would work on 2008. I was stunned when I went to run it last night and there was no such program...
A bit offtopic, but...
If you need the commandline version of unzip, I can send it to you.
(I didn't create a .deb and this forum doesn't allow .tar.gz uploads)