Active Topics

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
given that we are ALL waiting to hear the release/shipping date they need to be a damn sight more careful if execs are mouthing off about "legendary weeks" if they are talking about a booze-up in Finland
Why that? Having some booze and losing a prototype (or a couple of them) in a pub has worked out very well PR-wise for other companies in the past.

Last edited by Oblomow; 2013-10-29 at 12:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Off-topic, but vaguely related to Jolla's OH concept, so there is a tenuous link at least...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/29/m...ar-smartphone/
I vaguely recall someone going into lots of technical detail in order to poo-poo the Phonebloks concept.
Seems Google(Motorola) doesn't necessarily think it's infeasible, whether it'll result in real product one day remains to be seen ofc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I vaguely recall someone going into lots of technical detail in order to poo-poo the Phonebloks concept.
Seems Google(Motorola) doesn't necessarily think it's infeasible, whether it'll result in real product one day remains to be seen ofc.
Might be this link? http://www.genericmaker.com/2013/09/...er-happen.html (can't find in on TMO).

Looks like Motorola changed the concept a bit, having separate modules only for everything that is already connected by some flat cable in today's phones (display, cameras) or where connectors should be easily possible (USB and other external busses, audio, power, SD-card, sensors). That would probably mean there's one module for SoC with GPU, RAM, eMMC(?), unlike in the original phonebloks concept. Will be interesting to see how they handle the antennas. All on SoC module?

EDIT: To be back on topic (well, kind off): As I2C is a bus system, a "meta-TOH" for jolla could have standardized "slots" like on the Ara for modules probably.

Last edited by Oblomow; 2013-10-29 at 15:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
They increased their sales by 20% and made some profit. Not bad. Where is Jolla?
Actually there is nothing for sale currently at Jolla. I find it quite funny that you even think about trying to compare the profit and sales.

Regardless of the future profits and success of Jolla, they will at least sell one device to me. That's 1 ÷ 0 increase rate, so Jolla is basically assured of infinite increase rate on the first year according to your own tought process. Why in hell would they need a good marketing guy as CEO when they can beat mathematics?

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-10-29 at 15:49.

Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
Looks like Motorola changed the concept a bit,
I don't think it was that blog post, but yeah, there was some legit criticisms of the original form...
Tis just interesting that Google still found it compelling, & have partnered with them to move ahead on something more practical -to start with.

EDIT: To be back on topic (well, kind off): As I2C is a bus system, a "meta-TOH" for jolla could have standardized "slots" like on the Ara for modules probably.
This is true, & a good point....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-29 at 15:59.

perhaps folks misunderstand when someone says dont feed the trolls.
they dont mean, haha, you go get em. you tell that troll. they mean DONT FEED THE TROLLS.

put another way, if you think a post is off topic, meaningless, or is specifically non-constructive, regardless of who wrote it, JUST DONT RESPOND TO IT. this means that the empty post WONT get double attention. if you follow this simple rule, the world is better for everyone.

let me give you a specific example: PLEASE STOP TALKING TO LUMIAMAN ON THREADS NOT ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE.
his views may or may not be your own, and there is no problem with that. his views, however, are EVERYWHERE, they are always in the same vein, and they ALWAYS incite argument. go argue with him on a thread that is about what he's arguing about.

there are filters that let us ignore people who frequently post only empty vitriol. there are no filters that let us ignore you responding to them.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
I've actually been doing pretty well compared to the past, been keeping myself distracted from his childishness by talking about other OT things ;-P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
they dont mean, haha, you go get em. you tell that troll. they mean DONT FEED THE TROLLS.

put another way, if you think a post is off topic, meaningless, or is specifically non-constructive, regardless of who wrote it, JUST DONT RESPOND TO IT. this means that the empty post WONT get double attention. if you follow this simple rule, the world is better for everyone.

let me give you a specific example: PLEASE STOP TALKING TO LUMIAMAN ON THREADS NOT ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE.
his views may or may not be your own, and there is no problem with that. his views, however, are EVERYWHERE, they are always in the same vein, and they ALWAYS incite argument. go argue with him on a thread that is about what he's arguing about.

there are filters that let us ignore people who frequently post only empty vitriol. there are no filters that let us ignore you responding to them.
Well, I did not think the post was empty, meaningless, non-constructive, or especially off-topic. I thought it was irrelevant, not by its form, content, or topic, but by the reasoning behind it.

I do understand you might consider I fed the troll because you found that post deserved being ignored (and to be honest I agree with you that 99% of Lumiaman's posts deserve it are they are just nonsense or, at best, off-topic trolls), and I apologize for that, but here I think it was worth recalling that Jolla has not started sales yet, and hence that there's no point in using this kind of arguments to bring Nokia into the discussion. It took four lines of text to try to eliminate that possible troll entry, nothing to care much about, and I don't think my tone was so serious that reading my reply made people anxious. Not as much as this post actually, but I initially didn't want to justify.

Oh, and I posted a coloured animated picture, I'm sure it was the delight peak of the day for some TMO user, somewhere.

(Kidding, don't take that last sentence too seriously. We're in a long lasting thread that cannot survive only by the topic it was created for, i.e., #JollaLoveDay. We all have to accept that there might be some deviation here and there to keep the thread alive and, sooner or later, real pieces of information about Jolla (but still not about the #JollaLoveDay event).)

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-10-29 at 17:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wolke View Post

Now this is an example of an empty post. Read above

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Carol chen:
I wish that people will pay more attention to original post privacy status before sharing it publicly. If uncertain, please ask!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red