Notices

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Texas
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I wouldn't say having all of your contacts and who knows what else on some company servers is exactly "free".
Ok I see but all other apps with the same concept do the same thing

The Following User Says Thank You to DfLo1913 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by DfLo1913 View Post
And that is the exactly reason I refuse to use either of them (viber, wazzup,...)

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
And that is the exactly reason I refuse to use either of them (viber, wazzup,...)
Well not me. Many people have these apps on all sorts of devices. It would be great for the N900 and awesome for the N900 users to have this app (Viber). I understand you dislike them but others dont.

The Following User Says Thank You to DfLo1913 For This Useful Post:
maybe this link http://www.hackerpaparazzi.com/?p=532 can be a great start for having Viber on N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJBENTZY For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by DfLo1913 View Post

There is this concept I don't like: Viber grabs your contact details, sends it to some shady server in Israel where it is compared against other contact lists?
Most hideous example is the Viber port on Symbian.
They get the contacts for free. The user gets nothing but an IM client, no voice communication like on iPhone whatsoever.
Ok, if you are too lazy to put contacts in your list, the system will do that for you. But at what price - give up all your friends contact info for your own convenience?
Nice to have all possibilities open on N900, but frankly, why support them?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Viber is one of those sellout services that belong in the world of Android and Apple. They sell your privacy for a cheap service. Though I with great hesitation threw away my privacy when I chose webmail in the mid '90s.
We throw away our privacy by opting in to using mobile phone service and we discard it with email, facebook, and twitter.
Our habits, purchases, and search terms on Amazon and eBay are commodities we trade for good and sometimes even crappy deals.
Nobody could be bothered to include usable crypto plugins for email that we could get our non-geek friends to use and almost nobody could be bothered to implement something radical like freenet.
As for sending to a server in Israel even if the Mosad has a backdoor you are getting less snooped than if you route packets through the US, UK, or commonwealth where the entire raw throughput is stored in bulk rather than passed on by request. Israel just doesn't have the unlimited funds the US and to a lesser extent the UK does even if it wanted to.
I remember a day when a court order was required to tap a phone line, now it just requires a hunch for the interested US or UK agency to to access the already universally tapped stored information.
Maemo was always a dead end as seen on the N770, N800, N810, and N900; too much freedom (as in beer and as in speech) creepy corporate sellout/spy apps are what make the normal iOS and droid universe.

Last edited by biketool; 2013-07-19 at 11:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Gloomy fellas in here. Another idea getting shot down but those that have Yappari know what I mean. Its make the N900 better and extends the life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DfLo1913 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
DfLo1913, please understand that I am not against a viber app, more that I consider the service to be less in line with the open nature of the N900. I admit to being a hypocrite, I have a skype account and use it. If there were a viber app I might use it over skype so if it were possible I hope it could be written. Perhaps if not a native Maemo/Meego app the apkenv crew can crack open the android app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Do we really need another wazup thread? Do we really need it? How many times we were through pointless discussions about some closed source, sh|tty useless software, that even developers are not interested into porting for N900?

Do you really think that anyone able to reverse-engineer it will be, at the same time, so clueless to be interested in this program, at all?

I got nice suggestion for all little sheeps whining "bring it to us!" - either learn and do it yourself (by the time you gather required knowledge, you'll probably lose interest in using such crap, and enter new, more beautiful world of existence ), or crowdsource funds and pay viber's creator for doing N900 port. Everyone is happy.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Do we really need another wazup thread? Do we really need it? How many times we were through pointless discussions about some closed source, sh|tty useless software, that even developers are not interested into porting for N900?

Do you really think that anyone able to reverse-engineer it will be, at the same time, so clueless to be interested in this program, at all?

I got nice suggestion for all little sheeps whining "bring it to us!" - either learn and do it yourself (by the time you gather required knowledge, you'll probably lose interest in using such crap, and enter new, more beautiful world of existence ), or crowdsource funds and pay viber's creator for doing N900 port. Everyone is happy.

/Estel
Very Gloomy fella. Trust me if I knew the ins and out I wouldnt waste time tossing idea with people like you. I would get it done. Thanks for your input of also putting this idea down. Yes the N900 needs more ways to communicate. Also didnt know we couldnt express what we want on this device. Sorry that you have an issue with this thread but its my opinion. I stand by it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DfLo1913 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fvck euros, fvck texas, scofield=idiot, we need bada, whatsapp