Active Topics

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
in the video it doesn't look like the screen is that much larger than the N9's. Are those really supposed to be 4,5"?
However, every new feature of the OS they let out lea ves me more impressed, I mean, it just seems really really, really coooool! Totally considering to buy just for the OS...
The crossfade from video playback is very impressive, merged conversations. I also like that finally they made the close-buttons in the task manager NICE AND LARGE, and the fabulous pulley menu (close all, change profile, ambiance), it's just great work!

Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
I think people really forgetting what Jolla is doing here. Their final goal is NOT TO BE A PHONE MANUFACTURER. It is about the OS, right? And this is their first device ever. What is the most important here, is that they can deliver with that OS. They want developers, customers, "real" phone manufacturers to start thinking about them. And the way to do that is through that OS. They simply can't have the muscle to pull it of with High-end hardware or with the greatest desing. This is something that people should remember.

Jolla is right now the only real company with OS that is OPEN (at least this is what is said right now) and have a capable phone running it. I always thought that was what this community wanted, more openess?

Instead these forums start sound like customers outside BestBuy telling how their phone has the highest specs and coolest looks. I thought people here were rather those that would ask them: "Well, can your phone do this?"

Sure, Jollas phone is too big for me, the n9 and n900 were already on the maximum for me. Sure, it will not be having the fastest processor when it finally reaches customers. But that is not what I am after here, If I were, I would by an android device. But I am up for something in that Sailfish that has kept these forums alive to live on and see my best hope with Jolla. And thats why I have preordered the device and am cheering them on
We're just kind-of disappointed, because we were promised an awesome reveal, and this was definitely not it.

Besides, the open part is currently good will from jolla. But will it materialize? It seems to me that android is more open that this. Firefox OS is even more.

But from this phone, we hear that they might opensource the UI. What about kernel drivers and all that. Will we be stuck as usual on the same old kernel forever that will have to be patched more and more by the community? Will we have the bits we need to have for instance decent android with voice calls, or it's just basically the same level of openness as previous maemo editions?

I love jolla, and I want them to be awesome. But currently, all we have are hopes and dreams and maybes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to [Knuckles] For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
[...]
Ask yourselves that question: Do you really thing the Jolla phone is a step forward or backward for you, N9 users? Will you carry it and thing "Yeah, this is it, that's what i wanted, this is way better than my previous N9 days".
[...]
Here's another question you might want to ask: "Do I want to see any more Maemo/Meego/Sailfish heritage phones in the future?" If you do value that type of phone, you might want to consider supporting Jolla by purchasing one of these phones, even if they didn't produce exactly what you wanted in their first product. If we all just hang onto our old N900s and N9s, and snub Jolla because of some trivial issue like the bezzle, we may find ourselves with no gnu/linux heritage phones available at all in a few years.

I'm gonna buy one as soon as I possibly can, even though they won't officially sell them where I live. Unless it comes with less than 128 MBytes of RAM, or the CPU is clocked below 100 MHz, I'm sold.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
At least they should write a detailed list of specs and what's confirmed and what's not . Ok we get it the other half and the other half but they need to show more . ( it's like the presenation of WP8 wich was about resising tiles wich is utter fail ) but still a nice work for startup

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post

Besides, the open part is currently good will from jolla. But will it materialize? It seems to me that android is more open that this. Firefox OS is even more.

But from this phone, we hear that they might opensource the UI. What about kernel drivers and all that. Will we be stuck as usual on the same old kernel forever that will have to be patched more and more by the community? Will we have the bits we need to have for instance decent android with voice calls, or it's just basically the same level of openness as previous maemo editions?
There's an intersting bit about the openness question:
http://jollatides.com/2013/05/20/jollaloveday-qa/
I think the Q&A session is still going on, people should post their questions!

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
I think the sandwich design makes it look thicker than it is. Likely thinner than N9, but less rounded. But yeah thinner would be nicer.

The design is certainly unusual, but find it more interesting than anything I've seen recently. Looking forward to get my hands on it.

Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
I think people really forgetting what Jolla is doing here. Their final goal is NOT TO BE A PHONE MANUFACTURER.
I'd say they better be a manufacturer as well, focused on feature richness and openness of the hardware. Given that most others completely ignore this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
This is how big Jolla is compared to N9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...0Ey-xnkY#t=12s
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I really don't care about thinness below 13mm (roughly the N950/E7 thickness). Give me bigger battery anytime. It's like laptops, everybody had settled that 3h of life was enough (duh!) until apple came over and pushed the envelope to 7h. Now everybody is trying to shave a millimeter off their laptops and just make 7h, when 2-3mm more could mean 3h more. Same with phones. You can't really distinguish between an OG Galaxy S and an S4 one thickness-wise, while the S4 with 4mm more could double it's battery life.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I'm quite disappointed in the presentation because it hardly gave us any information that wasn't online already.

I would have at least expected some details on the pre-order exclusives.

I don't live in one of the lucky 8 countries so i don't get to pre-order with free t-shirt and free ltd ed otherhalf.
That leaves regular pre-order which does not get you a limited edition device or paying 40€ for which you do not get a voucher.
But what does limited edition mean? I don't want to pay 40€ for a t-shirt...

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red