Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Why why why can't the put out a phone with more up to date specs than this. I get the market their aiming at, but this phone just having 2G just prevented me from dicking around and buying one to mess with. Put one out for $200 with better specs and 3G and I'll throw my money at it just to mess around.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Why why why can't the put out a phone with more up to date specs than this. I get the market their aiming at, but this phone just having 2G just prevented me from dicking around and buying one to mess with. Put one out for $200 with better specs and 3G and I'll throw my money at it just to mess around.
i have to disagree with you because at 99$ 3G isn't a must feature . Although ( a big big ) if meltemi wasn't dropped , the device was 1ghz and 256mb of ram and 3G/gps/wifi and 3.5 inch screen in a price of 150-200$ with QT is a million time better than this . But that doesn't mean asha 501 isn't a good device and this is the first of many new asha 5xx series device and 3G will come later .

The Following User Says Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ India
Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
i have to disagree with you because at 99G isn't a must feature . Although ( a big big ) if meltemi wasn't dropped , the device was 1ghz and 256mb of ram and 3G/gps/wifi and 3.5 inch screen in a price of 150-200$ with QT is a million time better than this . But that doesn't mean asha 501 isn't a good device and this is the first of many new asha 5xx series device and 3G will come later .
Fully agree with you, 501 is good value for money at that price point. Keeps on N9's legacy for swipe, UI, icons,usability.
We should not trash it because it doesn't have Qt or MeeGo.
It looks capable, fast, good battery life and decent smartphonish things. I hope 3G+Dual SIM+WiFi version is coming soon.
I think we can see real Asha 311 successor soon
Main thing I did't like is screen. They could have upped resolution and increased screen size. That HUGE bezel at bottom is only blemish in otherwise very good phone.
Again please remember it's price.

The Following User Says Thank You to suyog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Only some elements of meego ui are used in it, but if they price it good at $60-70 price range it can be a success. No im not asking for too much because even in that under $99 price range there are android smartphones from local manufacturers that are better than this phone in both hardware and software side. Plus there is nothing special here only a new ui on top of j2me 2.1, im sure they can manage that price range and they should price it like a featurephone, coz with specs and a platform like that theyre not winning against low-end andro phones if they try to price it same and compete.

Last edited by Sohil876; 2013-05-09 at 20:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by suyog View Post
Why shouldn't we? As in "we" being the maemo community, which was conceived of being an open source community. We should trash this, and other proprietary solutions hard and long. This new Asha is all the way down a closed platform. It only resembles one of the open source influenced phones (N9) by it's UI.

I wouldn't mind owning one of those devices, even using it, if there was not more open alternatives. But it's nothing I'd be excited about.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Halemba
Fully agree with you, 501 is good value for money at that price point. Keeps on N9's legacy for swipe, UI, icons,usability.
It looks capable, fast, good battery life and decent smartphonish things. I hope 3G+Dual SIM+WiFi version is coming soon.
Main thing I did't like is screen. They could have upped resolution and increased screen size. That HUGE bezel at bottom is only blemish in otherwise very good phone.
My idea to make cheap 'fresh' asha phone it would be to use all N9s from the 2nd hand market and refurbish it and sell as new asha 9xx series ;-)
Technology behind n9 is quite old so production at this thime should be optimised to a near perfection level. So why they cannot create another n9 with new name? GeForce has been doing this **** for years. When the production costs were to high just pack a little worse components like battery, memory chips etc.
And 3g... Please it's 2013. Why not using the chips that where used in old nokias devices. I bet they have a lot stocks of spare parts of real old nokias :-)

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
they used all crap cpu in symbian and speaking of 3G , in my country 3G was launched a year and half ago . It's true that penetration is around 50% of mobile data but 90% of it's usage is facebook/whatsapp/viber/ and the rest is browsing wich work great at 2G speeds . That device is clearly not intended to you .

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by specc View Post
The N9 is alive again. Coming to a store near You any time now

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_event_...-news-6002.php

It's all there, Linux, swipe, multitasking and fast, no hanging or stuttering. Its the New Asha
Linux?.....................

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flotron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
As long as Elop is CEO there is NO WAY its worth the money. The MicroNokia shall not have any money from me atleast!!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Looking at this video and I more and more think this company is NUTS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laIDw...ature=youtu.be

501 is a great lowend device for young people or in those new growing countrys. But what about when those people later want to upgrade to hiend? Totally different UI? :S

What on earth does they think?

For got sake are they plain stupid to not realize that Harmattan or even sailfish can be a great complement on hiend when user want a hiendphone?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
mikeidioting, mike_litoris, op is an idiot