Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by xprism View Post
Jolla+N9 = Perfect Combination.
They are both slow?

Agreed, would be kickass nice to try out sailfish today. Well, let's hope for some "complete" version. Both ubuntu and firefox was uber alpha. Let's hope for a beta sailfish before summer. Would be cool if end users could license sailfish to run on n9

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Eindhoven Area, the Netherlands
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
World Mobile Congress

http://tweakers.net/video/7333/sailfish-os.html

Video Hands On by Tweakers.net nerd and comments as follows:

-interface finished
-browser + notifications not finished

Handling of UI looks very promising + all Android applications available from start.
Dutch KPN already negotiates with Jolla for possible undelayed release in the Netherlands.
Also, in an interview with Mikko Pyykko by the same Tweakers.net Mikko sais 'known names' will also build Sailfish phones. Of course not yet stating which names. It would be interesting to know if Mikko was globally minded while saying this. (I know, this is hopeless speculating over highly multi-interpretable words) I mean, I would not consider Huawei, ZTE, Meizu, Oppo as 'known names' in Europe at this moment. Lenovo and Asus are but not for building phones although Asus is incomming.

Conclusion;
Mikko's words *might* be interesting because he's sais it as Sales Director at Jolla Ltd representing UK. Saying it on Spanish ground. Talking to Dutch media.

Source: Very small news item in Dutch quoting just a few words from Mikko

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
New video - Jolla Sailfish OS and UI hands on

[edit]

What I just saw got my quite worried, When you open an app on N9 and swipe away the app goes in multitasking view and you can see it where you left it off, some even update in real time.

At 3:32 on the video he had the gallery app open with a picture and menu shown but when he swiped away on the tile it displayed the default gallery layout and not what he has open
that is configurable by the developer using the Cover API:

https://sailfishos.org//sailfish-sil...aceholder.html

My guess is you can simply take a "screenschoot" and place the image scaled down for those apps where its preferable. Actually sailfishos gives developers more options for the cover

Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Actually, an "Active Cover" is something different: it allows interaction with the app from the application switcher.
Which is, imho, a novel thing.

What you mean is a "Cover" that is updated in realtime.
According to the linked document, applications are explicitly allowed to perform actions like computations etc. in the background. Which, imho, is exactly what multitasking is about.
The link i mentioned just gives a little guidance on how to improve background activity of apps.
It even does not forbid that you still perform fancy 3D rendering or HD video playback or other fancy stuff and update the "Cover" with this while in background.
It just gives the "hint" that apps shouldn't do it.

Edit:
To correct myself: at one point it says that, "All animations must be paused and, if possible, unused resources released.".
Which kinda would prohibit doing fancy stuff like 3D rendering or video playback.
Otoh, I think we can only truly explore the capabilities of Sailfishos once it is officially out.
or try animate to see if it works in the emulator

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Hmm not exactly real multi-tasking then if animations etc are disallowed in active covers?
That's my issue, N9 "Covers" update almost real time, like if you get a text, it will update so I can read the text without opening the messaging app!

Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
It is maybe only me, but I don't like what you are saing... Why you slam the Ubuntu and the Canonical so much? I personally love to use Ubuntu, very clean and nice OS. The Sailfish OS and the Ubuntu should not be at war! They are linux, so we need to pull the same rope! I personally like debian based distros more (.deb) and this is FOR ME maybe one big thing, why i may choose the Ubuntu phone over the Sailfish, but hey.. Don't you dare think i don't bye Jolla devise too!

Now i even use Google nexus 4 with android and i actually like the way 4.2.2 Android version + MiHome (miui launcher) working.
Here is the thing:

Canonical has dropped KDE
Canonical has dropped Gnome
Canonical has dropped Wayland
Canonical has dropped kubuntu

Canonical doesnt use what the FOSS community is using insteda they use:

Launchpad
Unity
and now Mir

Canonical is NOT an opensource company anymore so thats why I totally losts intrests in ubuntu!

There are plenty better alternatives, that should get attenttion by media, on both on desktop and mobile, in latter case sailfishos will be better thats for damn sure..

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-03-07 at 20:20.

Originally Posted by Industreality View Post
Also, in an interview with Mikko Pyykko by the same Tweakers.net Mikko sais 'known names' will also build Sailfish phones. Of course not yet stating which names. It would be interesting to know if Mikko was globally minded while saying this. (I know, this is hopeless speculating over highly multi-interpretable words) I mean, I would not consider Huawei, ZTE, Meizu, Oppo as 'known names' in Europe at this moment. Lenovo and Asus are but not for building phones although Asus is incomming.

Conclusion;
Mikko's words *might* be interesting because he's sais it as Sales Director at Jolla Ltd representing UK. Saying it on Spanish ground. Talking to Dutch media.

Source: Very small news item in Dutch quoting just a few words from Mikko
What would you consider known names? I would be amazed if they had locked down Huawei or ZTE.
It's not like Samsung, Nokia or LG is going to make Sailfish phone imo.

I got a feeling if we are talking about big partners, they must come from China on Jolla's case.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-04-17 at 22:46.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
What would you consider known names? I would be amazed if they had locked down Huawei or ZTE.
It's not like Samsung, Nokia or LG is going to make Sailfish phone imo.

I got a feeling if we are talking about big partners, they much come from China on Jolla's case.
I hope it is Huwei then, that would make me laught at my work were they say "Jolla has no chance compete they to small player, only firefox, ubuntu may have a little chance"

Originally Posted by trilby View Post
Yeah, one need only look at the status matrix for Nemo to get a sense that a fully functional version is unlikely. That's not a slight against the contributors to Nemo and Mer; they are a dedicated and extremely talented bunch. It's simply a realistic view that the hardware/driver issues will likely never be solved to make the N9 a fully-functional Sailfish device.

Sure, we've seen Jolla demonstrate the UI on the N950, but we've never seen them show calling works flawlessly, or the GPS, or whether it's using GPRS or Wifi for it's network connection. In other words, all we know is that it can run Sailfish well enough for smoke-and-mirrors, but a day-to-day device that does not make.
I still beleive it could be possible get more stuff working, problem is the MER community seems to small. I wish I could be active myself. I want the damn NFC work on it for example.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-03-07 at 20:34.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
I hope Xiaomi build the Jolla phone, the M2 is such an impressive device.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?