Active Topics

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
I think folks need to understand that Jolla Mobile will produce a device that Jolla Mobile wants to produce. They might take consumer opinions and ideas on board, but I don't think it's going to be worthwhile expecting the so-called 'dream device' that is the phone your imagination cooks up.

While I'm a supporter (and likely buyer) of a Jolla device, remember that it won't have Nokia Maps or Nokia camera expertise - two of the most important aspects of my N9 right now.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
remember that it won't have Nokia Maps or Nokia camera expertise - two of the most important aspects of my N9 right now.
Strange, the N9 being rather average in navigation and camera is the reason why I walk around with an 808 and a N900
(Nokia camera expertise, maps and wifi access point served by 808 and the remaining desktop replacement by N900)

Sure we can forget the Jolla camera being up to par with the next standards of "camera that can call with smartphone OS".

hope for easy to implement feature completeness, HDMI, IR, FMTx etc.. though and knowing myself, if Jolla can provide at some point a replacement for that N900 (in terms of you know what or you are not a Jolla follower) with lots of RAM and a proper LCD sc reen and keyboard I'll compromise once again I'am afraid.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Jolla building a smartphone NOT a mobile computer. They never talk about n900 but they always talk about the little brother n9. That's one reason we won't get what we want.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Hackday are today... what do you think? will jolla show us the new UI oder give us some information?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Hackday are today... what do you think? will jolla show us the new UI oder give us some information?
Not the UI or anything like that. Nothing new is my bet.

Welcome to another Devaamo Hackday! This time we have special guests from Jolla and the Mer Project. In the spirit of hackdays, we will get our hands deep in hacking; however we are going to start off the event with some presentations, including: - Intro to Devaamo and our events and projects - Jolla company overview and technical presentations - Mer and Nemo introductions (developer oriented) In addition to free hacking we can also help you get started with Mer/Nemo development (platform SDK, etc.) and/or help getting Nemo booted on some devices. To get the most out of this event, Bring your own beer!

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Jolla building a smartphone NOT a mobile computer. They never talk about n900 but they always talk about the little brother n9. That's one reason we won't get what we want.
First, the N9 is better known than the N900. Second, what makes a smartphone a pc? Physical keyboard? Accurate (mouse-precision) touchscreen? Ability to install desktop software? Third, my guess is that the general people will have trouble understanding the "pc"-part of such device.

Many folks seem to have a hard time understanding that a mobile phone is a computer just like their laptop, and are very similar capability-wise. That those to usages can be done with one single device is something that has to dawn on them.

However, and fourth, desktop-usage on a smartphone-screen is.. impractical at best. I myself haven't tried EasyDebian on my N9 yet as I can't see any practical use for it now. I think it's great to have the possibility. And when it's easy to hookup an external high-res display (HDMI/streaming) and use external input devices (bluetooth keyboard and mouse) it might even be useful at times.

So, I guess Jolla targets their device as smartphone, as that is a clear concept for people and will be the primary use. Also, they're launching a budget-device first, right? Perhaps it would be too limited to act as pc anyway. No HDMI, small screen, normal touch screen, half a gig RAM, etc.

I sure hope they will announce a high-end device as well, or at least the plans for it. To make the "pocket pc"-concept clear and understandable for the general population you'd need to impress them with speed: hookup a display and run things like LibreOffice and full desktop Firefox with desktop-like fluidity.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Live stream from Devaamo.

Its live right now.
http://devaamo.fi:8000/stream1.ogv

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Jolla building a smartphone NOT a mobile computer.
A smartphone is a mobile computer. That's the definition. If it isn't, it's not a smartphone but an Asha, iPhone, Lumia or whatever.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Has anyone made a list of what they'd expect from a Jolla phone feature-wise? Being based on GNU/Linux is nice, but it could still repeat all the mistakes other systems make at the moment... and be yet another boring clone.

I thought about my current usage patterns and guess I'd expect (as many as possible out of):
  • file exchange (both directions) via USB
  • file exchange (both directions) via bluetooth
  • FM radio TX/RX
  • SD card slot
  • standard compliant UMTS features such as MMS and 3G video calls
  • built-in syncML support
  • framework for instant messaging that can be extended by third party applications (like N900)
  • framework for file sharing that can be extended by 3rd party applikations (like N900)
  • multitasking without restrictions
  • home screens with widgets, like symbian/maemo
  • hardware keyboard
  • self-contained, no dependency on any specific cloud service or PC software (like itunes or zune)
  • free software can be deployed in various stages (like -dev, -testing)

Other things that people think are necessary?
about:
[*]framework for file sharing that can be extended by 3rd party applikations (like N900)

this can be done on n9 too. And yes its a must feature.

I would rather extend this to make it possible to push not only files but also passwords and similar very easy to and from the phone to my laptop or whatever by using https protocol. Means make it easy setup my own webserver locally on my linux workstation and create my own API for what I want to do (send files, sync password, sync mail etc..). Actually this probadly is possible already today by using the shareui framework in harmattan cause itrs open source and plugin capable.

So I really hope they keep this plugin API and dont make it hard to implement new plugins. But right now the libshare* frameworks seems a bit undocumented.

Most of the stuff in your list I agree. However I not beleive we will see all :/

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
A smartphone is a mobile computer. That's the definition. If it isn't, it's not a smartphone but an Asha, iPhone, Lumia or whatever.
you guys are to cought up in definitions. Our freezer is computer, and i can move it so its a mobile computer.

Leave it.

phone first cool computer stuff later then. that is what jolla trying to do

You feel me?

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla