Active Topics

Originally Posted by late88 View Post
I'm struggling with this problem too. I don't know how it is even possible to fcuk things up like that. I definetly would be fired myself if I messed so badly here in the office (software company).
And it's not like it's a one time thing. It's more like the rule that downloads/updates from the store don't work on first try. Indeed a good solution to kill Ovi and move to the Microsoft app market. Clearly Nokia can no longer even maintain a software repository.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
you can always download the deb from the web site by appeding /download to url, and then install the deb manually by hand using pkgmgr install-file. From commandline you will also see the reasons for failure.
Of course many advanced users know how to get the updates if store update fails.

I think most of the end users rely on the store updates. Many have no clue or interest to look somewhere else. They might just fed up the whole nokia brand and move to another manufacturer if something isn't working. In nokia point of view, you have no choice but make it work. Like they can afford losing more users.

Originally Posted by late88 View Post
Of course many advanced users know how to get the updates if store update fails.

I think most of the end users rely on the store updates. Many have no clue or interest to look somewhere else. They might just fed up the whole nokia brand and move to another manufacturer if something isn't working. In nokia point of view, you have no choice but make it work. Like they can afford losing more users.
Exactly. With my 2 or so years with iPhone 3GS not once did a download/update from the App store fail. Why is this so difficult for Nokia to reproduce? I assume Apple's store has at least a thousand fold more traffic..

Originally Posted by shinogami View Post
Exactly. With my 2 or so years with iPhone 3GS not once did a download/update from the App store fail. Why is this so difficult for Nokia to reproduce? I assume Apple's store has at least a thousand fold more traffic..
Really don't know why it is so difficult. Personally I think it's embarrasing for nokia. Maybe all the employees are on a summer holiday and they left the whole repository to be taken care of by secretary or a cleaner.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This is the same old story we had with the N900 so nothing has changed and in fact it is getting worse.

The best of us have already well and truly left Nokia so it is just another nail in there coffin.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
This is the same old story we had with the N900 so nothing has changed and in fact it is getting worse.

The best of us have already well and truly left Nokia so it is just another nail in there coffin.
Yeah, that's very bad attitude towards customers, like the don't give a f... anymore. It would be different case if it was just temporary.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
99.9% of times this end users fault(/3rd party app that modifies repositiories), he has enabled developer mode and ****ed up the repositories, and/or installed something from custom repoes that messes up depencies.

Competing platforms don't have that many source.list problems because system is locked. If N9 wouldn't have developer-mode and noway to edit repoes, then most of the problems would go away too, but ofcourse you can proof me wrong:
@shinogami: so you have not enabled developer-mode at all, and have not installed any app outside the store?
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-06-11 at 15:08.

@shinogami: so you have not enabled developer-mode at all, and have not installed any app outside the store?
I have. Nonetheless, this problem was there out-of-the-box. Anyway, care to try the store right now (try to download anything)?

edit. I actually managed to download some pizza online app. However, the first two I tried, FF13 and Front Camera fail repeatedly..

Last edited by shinogami; 2012-06-11 at 15:11.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shinogami View Post
I have. Nonetheless, this problem was there out-of-the-box. Anyway, care to try the store right now (try to dl anything)?
Just tested, installed a new app, works for me just fine -> ovistore as such is not broken at the moment -> cause to your problems lies elsewhere.

EDIT: and now I just tested and updated my current FF11.0.1 to FF13.0.0, and yes that one is claiming error on the loading. I'll check if FF has fuxored depencies or is there some other reason...
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-06-11 at 15:17.

99.9% of times this end users fault(/3rd party app that modifies repositiories), he has enabled developer mode and ****ed up the repositories, and/or installed something from custom repoes that messes up depencies.

Competing platforms don't have that many source.list problems because system is locked. If N9 wouldn't have developer-mode and noway to edit repoes, then most of the problems would go away too, but ofcourse you can proof me wrong:
I understand your point rainisto, but for example my uncle, who also own a N9 aren't even capable of installing apps outside the store and he is now fed up all the failing updates so he is changing to apple. I wonder how many more symbian/harmattan users there is like him?

The Following User Says Thank You to late88 For This Useful Post: