Active Topics

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
Only problem is the quality of Samsung devices is subpar...and the fact that they abandon 2-3 month old models in support.
On Samsung's side there is this:

So basically when you have those profits, you can also act like they do.

But Nokia here is playing the opposite game: invest, produce an excellent quality product, discontinue the production, and re-source and re-locate to other factories the production of a similar device (NWP serie).

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I'm currently weighing the N9 up against, amongst others, the Huawei Honor, at the same price point. User replaceable battery and user replaceable memory means I'm leaning towards U8860 at the moment. Let's see if this does anything with prices.
Volt, after using the N900 for well over 2 years I finally gave in and got the N9. Definitely an expensive device, and not an N900. But very pleasing and beautiful. I already found some quirks, like any Nokia seems to have to have.

Regardless, if you are interested in Nokia - as I am - and like the idea to have the last real Nokia device, then buy the N9. You will enjoy the device.

If you are less sentimental and more practical ("replaceable battery") better look elsewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
last real nokia device, niceeee

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
You can still get N9 in Slovakia at a lot of places, including official Nokia stores...
official price is 449 EUR for 16gb and 499 EUR for 64gb...though you can easily get brand new for some 300-320 EUR thru classifieds etc...
Lumia 800 is 399 EUR....
Wikipedia still states N9 is "in production"...

Last edited by jleholeho; 2012-05-09 at 21:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Vancouver
Oh, well . I was hoping it'll be in supply for at least an year since launch. I still had a glimmer of hope, however small that may be, that some day I'd see Nokia 808's camera in an N9 successor, that seems to have been obliterated now.

Last edited by Sap; 2012-05-09 at 21:50. Reason: grammar nazi attacked me

It wasn't meant to be successful anyway. Eflop and Monkeyboy Ballmer made sure of that.
And the fact that it was a total embarrassment to them because it sold better than the WP devices did in the same time-frame I should think they're glad to see the back of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Only problem is the quality of Samsung devices is subpar...and the fact that they abandon 2-3 month old models in support.
Yeah. I don't like their design really. Nokia's is more superior. But what can you do. At least they are planning to make Linux handsets. Nokia so far plans to dance with MS tune.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
Volt, after using the N900 for well over 2 years I finally gave in and got the N9. Definitely an expensive device, and not an N900. But very pleasing and beautiful. I already found some quirks, like any Nokia seems to have to have.

Regardless, if you are interested in Nokia - as I am - and like the idea to have the last real Nokia device, then buy the N9. You will enjoy the device.

If you are less sentimental and more practical ("replaceable battery") better look elsewhere.
n9 is(hmm was..) way better quality than n900. Especially the backleds,on n900 seems to have alot issues on n900. Infact did have three two did have white spot issue

btw. For people not have n9 yet theyr very lowprice now so well worth money imho. For sure the last i will buy from now raped company..

too true.

I lost count of how many android phones (not just Samsung) were launched with outdated software or never upgraded, despite being only a few weeks/months old.

This is why I never bought and never will buy an Android device.

-----------------

I was REALLY expecting the Nokia Meego phone. Had the money for it and all. Then came Elop and in the end I never even bought it. Now I want an n808 for the camera. But I'm not really sure.

In the end, the ONLY consistent company, that actually supports it's product and produces a reasonable quality device is APPLE. And I ****ing hate iOS with a passion. I hate the way Apple creates a walled garden and closes everything. The way they charge absurd prices, etc.

But the sad part of it all is that I may buy an iPhone or iPad somewhere along the next few months/years. All because of Elop. May the hells have a special place for him.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jotoco For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
too true.

I lost count of how many android phones (not just Samsung) were launched with outdated software or never upgraded, despite being only a few weeks/months old.

This is why I never bought and never will buy an Android device.
We weren't talking about Android OS. It was about conventional (X11/Wayland) Linux such as Tizen or Nemo. I thought troubles with support mentioned above were about hardware, not about the OS. I don't worry about the OS. My problem with Samsung is that their hardware design is not so good as Nokia's. But it's still better if they make some medium quality handset which would have X11 or Wayland (and the rest of Linux) drivers, than not to have anything.