Active Topics

Poll: Do you think the "Can't Install/Repository issues" question has been beaten to a pulp
Poll Options
Do you think the "Can't Install/Repository issues" question has been beaten to a pulp

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by zeusenergy View Post
Hi,<snip>
And should we start a thread about:
Omigod! how many threads are there about how many threads are there about .....
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
And should we start a thread about:
Omigod! how many threads are there about how many threads are there about .....
I'll leave that one up to you.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
Originally Posted by zeusenergy View Post
Hey, go into application manager and blow away all the current libraries. Then go to gronmayer.com/it and ONLY add the one you need, which will be the temporary fix for Maemo Extras. Restart your device after a refresh of your application list to be sure and try it again. It worked for me and six other people in these forums that I know about. If you pay me $50 an hour, I'll hold your hand through it over the phone as your own personal tech support. Maybe get me a curvy massage therapist that will give happy endings, that would be nice too. What's that have to do with this thread? I don't know. And I don't know how you can bypass all the solution threads that this post talks about either, and say the same thing over again. But at least you tricked me into giving you the solution. Ding! You win.
Muhahaha my lazyness has payed off!!!

but now seriously we should stop having to look for solutions! such things are supposed to JUST work, u and i know that and it just makes me angry.

ps: this thread is thruly pointless

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
Originally Posted by xPAKxMaster View Post
Muhahaha my lazyness has payed off!!!
Ha! i tried ur method and i have done that before and i restate what i said before
THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE PYTHON PACKAGES ARE MISSING OR CURRUPTED ON ALL THE MAEMO REPO!!! if you have python installed that all the apps download and install IF you dont have python installed than YOU ARE SCREWED! geez no one listens....

yes yes YES!!!!!!! IHAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!
ps: if it was on a diff post don't tell me! let me enjoy my glory

easy to get python, uknmp, kagu to install in a breeze
1st-do what the uy above said and clear ur device of all the repo ALL OFF Them!

2nd- create a new repo in the app manager
-name it whateva u want
-type this url http://stage.maemo.org/extras
-here's the catch that made it impossible for apps to install, make sure th distribution box is EMPTY that's what made the app manager crash!
-components: free non-free
- that's it!

3rd- i recomend you install python runtime first as in case it fails again you allready will have what you need!

4th- Download and install all u want, it all works for me !!

i spend the last 3 hours experimenting untill it finally worked! i am going to make a thread of this announcement so all the new users have some guidance

The Following User Says Thank You to xPAKxMaster For This Useful Post:
i spend the last 3 hours experimenting untill it finally worked! i am going to make a thread of this announcement so all the new users have some guidance
Yay! Another thread about the same topic! Whoo hoo, now I can party.

If I assume you mean IT2008, then this is overkill. All you need to do is change the links to any repositories that read "http://repository.maemo.org" to "http://repostory.maemo.org". It's not rocket science. This worked for me at the beginning of the week - when who ever it was posted the solution. Took me 3 or 4 mins to make the changes and then refresh repo list. After that, Python just installed.

One thing you have incorrectly stated - from what I can tell, the python runtime installer actually pulls down a bunch of dependancies at the time of install - it was one or more of the dependancies that was causing the problem (which could be verified by manually grabbing the debs via the command line. The python runtime seems to pull down about 6 or 7 files (MIGHT BE MORE - THIS IS A ROUGH ESTIMATE FROM MEMORY.)

yes yes YES!!!!!!! IHAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!
ps: if it was on a diff post don't tell me! let me enjoy my glory

easy to get python, uknmp, kagu to install in a breeze
1st-do what the uy above said and clear ur device of all the repo ALL OFF Them!

2nd- create a new repo in the app manager
-name it whateva u want
-type this url http://stage.maemo.org/extras
-here's the catch that made it impossible for apps to install, make sure th distribution box is EMPTY that's what made the app manager crash!
-components: free non-free
- that's it!

3rd- i recomend you install python runtime first as in case it fails again you allready will have what you need!

4th- Download and install all u want, it all works for me !!

Originally Posted by memson View Post
If I assume you mean IT2008, then this is overkill. All you need to do is change the links to any repositories that read "http://repository.maemo.org" to "http://repostory.maemo.org". It's not rocket science.
Yes, I tried that solution also, but was unable to continue until I wiped out the rest of the repos in my app manager. So xPAKx would have been right in my case, and it wouldn't be overkill after all.
Most of the people who buy the N800 consider it to be rocket science, BTW. Just because you or I or xPAKx can figure things out and research the subject, and solve the issue, doesn't mean everyone can.
There are still a couple nagging issues that I can't solve either, so I guess some of it is rocket science to me as well!

"YES!!!!!!! IHAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!"
Thanks. That removed the only obstacle I had to installing PyGTKEditor. And I already had Python run time installed, along with every other app I wanted, including Canola2 and lots of others.... go figure.

Last edited by Aciv; 2007-12-30 at 03:30.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- i'd rather see a poll asking:

"The problem with maemo.org is:"

1. Someone at Nokia is incompetent.

2. Someone at Nokia ticked off a developer with access to maemo.org.

3. There is malicious activity going on at maemo.org.

4. The repositories are being emptied deliberately.

(i'd be inclined to vote for 1, 3, or 4; at any rate it is very interesting that the very day a workaround for the broken repository is posted, the stage.repository dir was emptied of all .deb files)

Why Nokia is doing this is beyond comprehension.