Active Topics

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Well, CONFIG_NO_HZ=y in KP, I am lost what actually CONFIG_HZ=256 and CONFIG_OMAP_32K_TIMER_HZ=256 (or 512) is doing.
From Red Hat documentation
3.4. Tickless Kernel
Previously, the Linux kernel periodically interrupted each CPU on a system at a predetermined frequency — 100 Hz, 250 Hz, or 1000 Hz, depending on the platform. The kernel queried the CPU about the processes that it was executing, and used the results for process accounting and load balancing. Known as the timer tick, the kernel performed this interrupt regardless of the power state of the CPU. Therefore, even an idle CPU was responding to up to 1000 of these requests every second. On systems that implemented power saving measures for idle CPUs, the timer tick prevented the CPU from remaining idle long enough for the system to benefit from these power savings.
A tickless kernel replaces the old periodic timer interrupts with on-demand interrupts. Therefore, idle CPUs are allowed to remain idle until a new task is queued for processing, and CPUs that have entered lower power states can remain in these states longer.
So, a tickless kernel is tickless only when the cpu is sleeping so the clock doesn't interrupt the powersaving sleeping state, it uses the clock for scheduling as before when not.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Sorry to state the obvious, but how do we (kinda kernal noobs) compile a kernel with the 512 setting?

or can we download an already compiled kernel?

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
I made an additional patch for rx51_defconfig -file and changed frequencies in there (quick and dirty way, I think...). Then added file to debian/patch -directoty and added it to series -file.

I'm counting me too to 'noob' section when comes to kernel topics. More competent developers can tell how it should have been done

(remove .txt from attachement)

EDIT: Attachement updated
Attached Files
File Type: txt rx51_defconfig_HZ_mod.diff.txt (314 Bytes, 117 views)

Last edited by Gusse; 2012-01-18 at 11:49.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gusse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
I made an additional patch for rx51_defconfig -file and changed frequencies in there (quick and dirty way, I think...). Then added file to debian/patch -directoty and added it to series -file.

I'm counting me too to 'noob' section when comes to kernel topics. More competent developers can tell how it should have been done

Seems like windoze-style line endings, not sure if that is ok.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Seems like windoze-style line endings, not sure if that is ok.
Damn, I did open it with Windows WordPad before uploading and propably hit the save button... I'll upload a brand new. Thanks!
EDIT: Now the attachement in 2 post back should be OK (without Windows infections )

Last edited by Gusse; 2012-01-18 at 14:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gusse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post

EDIT: Attachement updated
Really sorry to be the noob again here, but where do i put this/run it?

You don't. What has been provided is a 'diff'. That is a file that denotes the changes in a piece of code in order to patch it. What you would need to do is download the diff, use it to patch your source tree then compile a new whatever (in this case kernel). However, the supplied diff has been infected with windos fail and now all the carriage returns at the end of the lines are ballsaxed up (yes windows sucks so much a55 that it cannot even terminate a line in a text file properly).

In short, hold yer horses mate! It will come! There is not even any proof it is a good change yet.

(alternatively, install the maemo SDK and compile the kp50 sources with the parameter denoted in the diff)

Last edited by vi_; 2012-01-18 at 13:16.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Thanks to Gusse im also trying the 512hz, and it has improved the recording, 576p now almost gets full frame-rate in viewfinder doing recording. (recording is still spotless)
720p still drops frames, better then before tho.

OC right now LV 500-850

Also on a side note, all programs start faster, multitasking seems to have gotten a boost, also in the way that the N900 dedicates more power to the program being used, makes sense since it now does 512hz vs 128hz so in the same second now it can give 4x more time to processes

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Just don't get too excited, it may be a placebo effect. As for viewfinder during 720p video recording - AFAIK it *should* drop framers, to not interrupt video itself.

I'm not pretty convinced to this "wake up more often" thing, so I really recommend a little wait - freemangordon is (most likely) going to check if it *really* help video recording, by measurable means, not only "feeling".

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Thanks to Gusse im also trying the 512hz, and it has improved the recording, 576p now almost gets full frame-rate in viewfinder doing recording. (recording is still spotless)
720p still drops frames, better then before tho.

OC right now LV 500-850

Also on a side note, all programs start faster, multitasking seems to have gotten a boost, also in the way that the N900 dedicates more power to the program being used, makes sense since it now does 512hz vs 128hz so in the same second now it can give 4x more time to processes
Well, the most important thing is how is the recorded video framerate againt the one with 128Hz kernel. I won't be able to check the things until next week, so you can experiment a little.
But make sure you are using camera-ui from latest CSSU-T

BTW if that modification does not have ill effects on battery life while making device more responsive, it still could be usefull (even if video recording is not affected)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
balls, gpl violation, hackjobs, lgpl violation, nokia, upgrade..., video player