Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Except that there's nothing anywhere near that problematic on Microb whatsoever so your analogy makes zero sense.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Except that there's nothing anywhere near that problematic on Microb whatsoever so your analogy makes zero sense.
Well, the point I was trying to make (by exaggeration) is that I would expect a "mature" product for day one and not have to wait for it to mature. Don't get me wrong, I do love my N800 and I'm not in hurry to adopt OS2008.

Happy Holidays!

Originally Posted by Jonnycat26 View Post
I think throwing it out too early is going to turn people off.
The whole Internet Tablet concept is thrown out too early.
That's why I love it. That's why I hate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to dkwatts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
The whole Internet Tablet concept is thrown out too early.
That's why I love it. That's why I hate it.
Ya, when I purchased my N800 last February, I had very low expectations. I think for that reason I have almost always been very happy with it. I looked around and saw that it cost about what I would have paid for a Skype WIFI phone + an MP3 player. With the N800 that's what I have plus a bunch of fun programs including a Camera. FWIW- I also heard today that Pandora is one web site that does work better with the 08 OS than it does with the 07 OS. Pandora apparently now continues playing instead of having to tap the screen to get it playing again. So I love my nokia. I understand that the whole project is a BETA probably and I'm fine with that because I think I'm already getting my money's worth with it. Heck, around $250 for one now? What a deal. So I think most of this is about what you are expecting when you buy. I understand getting PO'd at Nokia. But I wonder where they would be if they waited until it was 'perfect'. What would define that? I like the dream they seem to have for it. They just seem to be a bit maddening about the process sometimes.

NS

Last edited by sungrove; 2007-12-07 at 05:12.

I'm waiting for an update or hack that will finally let me configure MicroB to do what I was able to do in Opera:
Use the dpad to page-up and page-down through a page. The way it is now is horrible.
I don't understand why the dpad just jumps from link-to-link when there's a friggin TOUCHSCREEN on the device itself that can be used to click links!?!?!?
It should at least be an option one can easily enable via the preferences menu.
Until MicroB gets that functionality then it will always be second-place to Opera.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Originally Posted by iball View Post
I'm waiting for an update or hack that will finally let me configure MicroB to do what I was able to do in Opera:
Use the dpad to page-up and page-down through a page. The way it is now is horrible.
I don't understand why the dpad just jumps from link-to-link when there's a friggin TOUCHSCREEN on the device itself that can be used to click links!?!?!?
It should at least be an option one can easily enable via the preferences menu.
Until MicroB gets that functionality then it will always be second-place to Opera.
Someone packaged up a DEB to do exactly that and posted a link on bugzilla...also there is a direct hack somewhere on the forum but I can't get it working on OS2007. Do a search.

The Following User Says Thank You to phi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by phi View Post
Someone packaged up a DEB to do exactly that and posted a link on bugzilla...also there is a direct hack somewhere on the forum but I can't get it working on OS2007. Do a search.
I stand corrected.
Found that link to the excellent how-to hack it, couldn't find the deb.
Still....it should be nothing more than a preferences setting from within the browser itself.
Now...how to get rid of the scrollbars when in full-screen mode? Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited by iball; 2007-12-07 at 05:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to iball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Even though I prefer the microb browser, I miss having choice. Hopefully that webkit project can get up to speed and release on OS2008. The guys working on it seem pretty dedicated, Nokia should send them some free n810's as incentive. With the mobile web (at least inthe US) increasingly iPhone optimized this browser option would be great.

http://blog.gwright.org.uk/articles/...t-and-the-n800

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Colorado, US
There have been some desktop speed comparisons of Opera vs Mozilla, and opera came out significantly ahead. Granted, it will be different on this platform than on a PC, but I believe the comparison generally is similar. Opera has a few more rendering problems, but is faster.

I prefer Opera myself, but I think both browsers should be available, and could be improved. The small memory footprint and fast response just makes browsing more enjoyable.

Now, if only we could have IE7... *ducks*

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
There are truths to both sides here. MicroB handles some stuff better than Opera does, but for the stuff that Opera does handle it mostly does it quicker than MicroB and with a smaller memory footprint. (MicroB seems to crash more as well, at least in the OS2007 version. For some of those cases it seems to be linked to running out of memory. So, memory and speed seems to be the main problem compared with Opera. Improved Ajax is the the major point MicroB has over Opera, presumably.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well spoken:
Earlier this month I found on my N800 (OS2007: 4.2007.38-2) installation application an upgrade for Microb-browser; now 0.0.8-4 (not sure if version has changed). As a result the MicrOb is even slower (I know: OS 20008...), and does not respond easily to finger scrolling or hyperlink initiating. Too many sites are not displayed correctly, stopping or even unusable, i.e. Reuters or Yahoo Beta, (zooming problems). These are major sites that should run smoothly! Opera a runs these sites (Yahoo old style !) smoothly, but performs for example slow on You tube. This all maybe of course temporary until OS2008 is full-grown.

As I am quite happy with my N800 -I will certainly try the OS 2008. However I am getting somewhat concerned that Opera is not available in OS2008 and that -maybe- I cannot switch back to OS2007 with Opera. Las tweek I issued a FEEDBACK to the Nokia Support Site stressing them to keep OS 2007 available. I think this may be important.