Active Topics

I wished nokia had kept the opera browser in OS2008. The microb browser is nowhere near as good, and will probably never be.

Does anybody know how to extract opera from OS2007 for use in OS2008?

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Probably wouldn't work, as explained here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...725#post104725

The Following User Says Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
MicroB is so much better than a browser that's 3 years old that can't handle a majority of the sites I visit. Sites these days use AJAX and Javascript a lot more and none of them would be usable with Opera, so what's the point?

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
Originally Posted by arman68 View Post
microb browser is nowhere near as good, and will probably never be.
I also miss having the ability to switch between the two browsers, but I would not agree that Opera is "better", and I don't know how you would know how the two applications will develop. What, specifically, does Opera do better?

The Following User Says Thank You to sparkling For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
MicroB is so much better than a browser that's 3 years old that can't handle a majority of the sites I visit. Sites these days use AJAX and Javascript a lot more and none of them would be usable with Opera, so what's the point?
Funny, MicroB chokes hard on some Yahoo sites (Yahoo Sports) that Opera handled just fine. If I can't trust MicroB to bring me the scores... sigh.

MicroB also seems slower than Opera, the 'fingertip' scrolling seems to be pickier, the nav pad seems 'sluggish'... sigh.

Nokia, get your heads out of your rectums and pay Opera to port Opera!

Originally Posted by Jonnycat26 View Post
Well spoken! This stinks of cost cutting.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jonnycat26 View Post
Pfft. Give MicroB some time, it's only been available on the platform for less than 6 months (heck, it hasn't even been released as a built-in non-beta product from Nokia), and doesn't have the embedded background that Opera has (Opera 8.5 is nearly 5 years old, with 2 years on the tablets. How many of you actually used Opera under OS2005?). MicroB is open source (BIG positive) and much more standards compliant. Give it some time to mature and it will be leaps and bounds better than Opera (in my opinion, it already is ).

Opera is gone (and good riddance!) if you want to help MicroB to become great, head on over to http://bugs.maemo.org/ and start submitting bug reports (but search first, please).

Originally Posted by arman68 View Post
Well spoken! This stinks of cost cutting.
Hardly. The people Nokia pays to develop MicroB aren't free. What it really stinks of is freeing us from yet another old, broken, proprietary piece of software in favor of a standards-compliant open source one!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
MicroB is absolutely lousy at handling images. Images slow the thing down to the point where I suspect a crash, kinda like what opera did with Flash-heavy sites, MicroB does with image-heavy ones.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Give it some time to mature and it will be leaps and bounds better than Opera (in my opinion, it already is ).
So in the meantime, we should suffer with a browser that crashes more than the old one? A browser that's slower than the old one?

Some improvement.

There are truths to both sides here. MicroB handles some stuff better than Opera does, but for the stuff that Opera does handle it mostly does it quicker than MicroB and with a smaller memory footprint. (MicroB seems to crash more as well, at least in the OS2007 version. For some of those cases it seems to be linked to running out of memory. So, memory and speed seems to be the main problem compared with Opera. Improved Ajax is the the major point MicroB has over Opera, presumably.)