Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
This gives met the depressive feeling that the same person that has decided that a grid of colourful icons on a square looking phone is the way to present a high end portable device anno 2011 is the one that lacked the set of balls needed to ignore intel MeeGo , board and steam full force with Harmatan + QT towards end of 2010 release of N950.
The packaging is very similar to iPhone and Palm Pre. Not very special in my opinion.

I really don't believe harmattan or Qt were ready or even could have been ready back then. if you look at the state of the SDK at that time, a lot of things were not working correctly, not integrated in the SDK yet, or just not finished. (No QML, no QtQuick, no OpenGL support for Symbian etc. etc. ).
If the tools needed to make applications aren't finished, how can you expect the applications for the platform or the platform in general to be ready?

I also believe that originally the harmattan for the N950 device intended for 2010 was planned to be something very different from what we see now. In the maemo summit 2009 nobody mentioned stuff like QML, and some design images for maemo 6 appeared much more Qt-rewrite-of-maemo5 style OS.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
... in the meanwhile Nokia conversations is hitting new lows...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cassio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Google bought Motorola for the patents. plain and simple. it has nothing to do with being "cool"
Owning the patents provides protection for their "customers" (read: hw vendors) which means hw vendors get to keep shipping android products wihtout fear of being sued.
shipping android products helps the mother ship make it's fortunes through google ads and the like.

the trends that show web content being increasingly accessed by mobile devices is the reason why the likes of google are branching out (and HP for that matter, are moving away from the desktop environment)
and the thing is those patents seems to be pointtless anyway cause Motorola has alreay sold the best patents. But I guess this is not what android people want to hear...

If I remember right there is a link about this already in this forum...

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
This gives met the depressive feeling that the same person that has decided that a grid of colourful icons on a square looking phone is the way to present a high end portable device anno 2011 is the one that lacked the set of balls needed to ignore intel MeeGo , board and steam full force with Harmatan + QT towards end of 2010 release of N950.
Someone at Nokia must think that simply copying what Apple did four years ago will be a successful strategy.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cassio View Post
... in the meanwhile Nokia conversations is hitting new lows...

if you have ever been with a woman that wants to get pregnant, you would realize that she would be avidly into all of these apps. Maybe they are trying to steal a few female users from iphones. I don't see it as low at all, some people have a hard time getting pregnant and become almost crazed in the endeavor. Actually, it is a little refreshment in such a male dominated placetech blog, and specifically nokia tech blogs)

Last edited by quipper8; 2011-09-16 at 11:42.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Someone at Nokia must think that simply copying what Apple did four years ago will be a successful strategy.
The most revolutionary thing Apple did four years ago is introduce a touch interface for the phone that in many aspects works better than physical keyboards.
Sales figures of all kinds of smartphones since, shows a trend that a good touch interface is essential for a successful product.
So yes, "copying" that choice is a good idea.

The other revolutionary thing that Apple did was three years ago: The introduction of an application store that worked so easily that people actually use it.
For a lot of people an application store is what defines a smartphone nowadays: being able to easily add functionality.
So yes, if you want to be successful in the smartphone market, you need an applications store and "copy Apple".

The fact that Nokia now uses a similar packaging is totally unimportant, and probably mostly a cost saving method.
The icon view for applications is a lot older than iPhone, so not really "a copy of Apple", but you are correct that Apple uses it to define the iPhone interface in imagery, since it uses it as the "home screen".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
If this is true, then this device has a lot of what we had expected from N9 (but of course with Maemo MeeGo instead of Windows OS).

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=52961.0

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
The way that Nokia is presenting this device, along with the recent comments from Marko Ahtisaari, make it pretty clear that the N9 is being presented as an 'iPhone killer' (that is, when Nokia are bothering to present it to the public at all). I will tell you right now that the N9 has no chance against the iPhone, not because I don't believe it to be a better device, but because Nokia will not be able to persuade Joe Public that it's a better device.

Nokia: "The N9 has a cool and easy to use touch UI."

Joe Public: "So does my iPhone."

Nokia: "But the N9 has an easy to use application store."

Joe Public: "So does my iPhone, and it has more content. Besides, my previous experiences with the Ovi Store suggest that it sucks when compared to the App Store. Why should I expect this to be any different?"

My website

GitHub

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post
If this is true, then this device has a lot of what we had expected from N9 (but of course with Maemo MeeGo instead of Windows OS).

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=52961.0
Doesn't look very genuine to me. Also, does Windows Phone even support expandable memory through microSD?
I thought they killed that feature along with USB mass storage mode (talking about copy-ing Apple )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
The way that Nokia is presenting this device, along with the recent comments from Marko Ahtisaari, make it pretty clear that the N9 is being presented as an 'iPhone killer' (that is, when Nokia are bothering to present it to the public at all). I will tell you right now that the N9 has no chance against the iPhone, not because I don't believe it to be a better device, but because Nokia will not be able to persuade Joe Public that it's a better device.

Nokia: "The N9 has a cool and easy to use touch UI."

Joe Public: "So does my iPhone."

Nokia: "But the N9 has an easy to use application store."

Joe Public: "So does my iPhone, and it has more content. Besides, my previous experiences with the Ovi Store suggest that it sucks when compared to the App Store. Why should I expect this to be any different?"
So true. N9 is not revolutionary. Perhaps somewhat evolutionary, but will not compete with anything out there. Not revolutionary enough. If it had a batter that lasts 5 days, may be it would have had a better chance

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????