Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
It just needs users to not hog resources when they're unnecessary, which isn't too much to ask (but those n00b users probably cannot manage)
The problem is that this isn't a desktop for example - it's a mobile device which will be used in ad hoc situations in a typical mobile scenario where you don't have time or the opportunity to micro-manage your apps (which probably counts out a good deal of users in this forum - who will be likely be micromanaging their apps).

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I've noticed the battery management in the iPhone 4 to be better than pretty much all smartphones out there.
Is it due to a better power management or simply because it's being new? I ask because my friend's ip4's battery gone pretty bad after a month heavy usage. Well by heavy usage I mean she is playing iscrabble or some games that pushing coins/springing birds heavily, but still the battery life goes pretty bad lately.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
I crashed the hildon desktop before through too much multi tasking but it wasn't intentional because I logged into amsn and it presented me with all these people adding me, it was a glitch because they were people I deleted, around 80 people, so that's 80 separate windows.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London UK
the only problem is multitasking on the n900 makes the battery last about 20 minutes.....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crsnwby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by punto View Post
My opinion differs somewhat from you when I'm looking at a dead N900 in the early evening - while the iP4 is showing about half charge, while doing essentially the same simple day-to-day stuff (media, push messaging, heavy SMS's etc).
Yes, you may well be aware that the radio strength of N900 is quite strong thus is the high power-usage. You may decrease the radio usage at night to save battery by the following method.

Download the attachment and extract the script hardsleep.sh (modified from No!No!No!Yes!'s N900 Hard Sleep Mode) and then have it run automatically at night with fcron. You may want to return your phone to normal connection mode so there's another attached script normal_connection.sh in the attachment you can use. The fcron lines will go like this:

Code:
0 0 * * * run-standalone.sh /home/user/script/hardsleep.sh
30 7 * * * run-standalone.sh /home/user/script/normal_connection.sh
There are many other ways to do the same thing but I like doing it with script. Hope this help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip radio_on_off.zip (1.3 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by 9000; 2011-01-03 at 03:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Is it due to a better power management or simply because it's being new? I ask because my friend's ip4's battery gone pretty bad after a month heavy usage. Well by heavy usage I mean she is playing iscrabble or some games that pushing coins/springing birds heavily, but still the battery life goes pretty bad lately.
You may have a point. The battery is non-user-replacable on iPhone's, so its sort of a downfall. But I think they use one of the better quality batteries in them, compared to lets say, Samsung.

However, my friends ~2yr old 3G still does a full day quite easily, so maybe the iPhones have that property (forgot its name) that helps reduce battery wear (only 10% loss in 5years, or something like that).

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Yes, you may well be aware that the radio strength of N900 is quite strong thus is the high power-usage. You may decrease the radio usage at night to save battery by the following method.

Download the attachment and extract the script hardsleep.sh (modified from No!No!No!Yes!'s N900 Hard Sleep Mode) and then have it run automatically at night with fcron. You may want to return your phone to normal connection mode so there's another attached script normal_connection.sh in the attachment you can use. The fcron lines will go like this:

Code:
0 0 * * * run-standalone.sh /home/user/script/hardsleep.sh
30 7 * * * run-standalone.sh /home/user/script/normal_connection.sh
There are many other ways to do the same thing but I like doing it with script. Hope this help.
The radio is better than the iPhone. It's not necessarily stronger than any decent phone. Besides, it gets charged at night.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
i wonder how long your battery lasted??
im an n900 user too but im sure with that much of multitasking
i mean bluetooth + gps + 3g come on man
im sure it wont last more than 5 mins.

Originally Posted by McLightning View Post
i wonder how long your battery lasted??
im an n900 user too but im sure with that much of multitasking
i mean bluetooth + gps + 3g come on man
im sure it wont last more than 5 mins.
Ahahah! You're right, battery consumption was at its highest level, however I've never had problems with the battery 'cause I do "real multitasking" only when I know that I'll recharge my phone soon (a full battery generally works for about 2 hours in an intensive multitasking situation), and for emergencies I have a portable solar charger

Ve recently bought a tablet with android honeycomb, menor i miss the n900 multitasking in there, its really anoying. Te worst is that when you change to so me other app tu don know ir te app is closed ir open the system only shows you a picture of te app las status, nota live multitasking as te n900, and youre always wondering ir te app is closed ir nota, you don ven hace a close button on most apps! Ir y could only hace a 10 inch screen with maemo ir meego!