Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that it could be a new company started by all those who've left Nokia's Maemo/MeeGo teams?
There is some precedent along those lines. The result wasn't a million miles away either.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
But to create a whole new product from scratch within the Elop-timeframe? I hardly think so.
Not impossible, if adding a new UI on top of a relatively mature platform and someone else's pre-existing hardware designs.

Another point in this thread that someone hasn't mentioned.

The tendency for Nokia lately to be poking fun at Apple.

The huge "Forget the Fruit" would piss off Apple, and since Intel sells processors to Apple, I would tend to think it's not them.

Nokia made the joke about not needing to worry about holding the N9 incorrectly during their announcement of it.

And American companies generally don't have a huge sense of humor (with perhaps the exception of Google).

It could quite easily be a startup, especially with the ex-Nokia people being behind it. It may be an actual tablet I could get without having to Hack MeeGo onto it, which makes me happy!

slaapliedje

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
Quoting the article from The Register about an internal memo on Nokia cuts in the company, this is the interesting part of the memo:

"The Windows Phone organization has started to ramp up its operations and a large part of that organization will be in place by the end of 2011, and Nokia aims to retain as many people as possible from other areas, such as the Symbian and MeeGo organizations.
There will also be opportunities within the Meltemi organization, for personnel working within the MeeGo teams."

From this memo it seems that the Meltemi organization and the WP organization are two different things.

From TabCo's twitter:

"SupaKeith Keith Dean
@WeAreTabCo what's your stock symbol?
6 Lug
in risposta a ↑
@WeAreTabCo
TabCo
@supakeith We're a privately held company backed by some great investors."

They could be a private USA company backed by Nokia or Intel...

Oh and one last thing. They asked via Facebook this question:

"We have another question for you. (We're full of them, if you couldn't already tell by the name of our page.) How many apps do you have on your smartphone or tablet?

-Enough to get me by – weather app, map app, Angry Birds app, beer locator app...
-All of the apps in the Apple store. Yep, that’s right, all 350,000 of them.
-Well…um…ok, I don’t have a smartphone OR a tablet. There, I said it!
-No Games, only useful apps. Games are much worth to play in PSP or NDS"

If they were using MeeGo as their OS it would make sense since they couldn't offer a huge selection of apps.

Last edited by Cassio; 2011-07-10 at 09:10.

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Im going on record to state it's Zehjotkah's new company with a MeeGo OS. Date stamped today...

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Im going on record to state it's Zehjotkah's new company with a MeeGo OS. Date stamped today...
I doubt Zehjotkah is involved. From zeh's twitter:

"WeAreTabCo TabCo
New blog post: How to Sell your iPad on eBay http://bit.ly/qid8sp #WhoIsTabCo
8 Lug

zehjotkah Cosimo @
I love TabCo's marketing campaign... @WeAreTabCo
8 Lug

WeAreTabCo TabCo @
@zehjotkah Glad you like it! Have you seen our new blog post? http://bit.ly/qid8sp
8 Lug
in risposta a ↑
@zehjotkah
Cosimo
@WeAreTabCo I don't care if it's an "Aha!-OS"... I care if it's based on Linux and standard FOSS."

The quote here really gives me hope:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=46

"Just for clarification: the whole thing about future disruptions is about what comes after the N9, not the N9 itself."

See also http://www.slashgear.com/meego-focus...stem-11132759/
And http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...101_page_3.htm

Elop's third priority has been dubbed New Disruptions. It's a fully sanctioned skunkworks, with teams in Helsinki and Silicon Valley, staffed by top technical talent from the discontinued Symbian and MeeGo efforts, especially MeeGo. That initiative began when Nokia hired a crew of inventive open source evangelists in 2009 with orders to dream up entirely new devices. A few months later they were reassigned to develop a replacement for Symbian. The goal, as Elop told a group of engineers in Berlin on Feb. 29, is once again to "find that next big thing that blows away Apple, Android, and everything we're doing with Microsoft right now and makes it irrelevant—all of it. So go for it, without having to worry about saving Nokia's rear end in the next 12 months. I've taken off the handcuffs."
Please please please make tabco be a Harmatten/Meego device!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phedders For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by phedders View Post
"Just for clarification: the whole thing about future disruptions is about what comes after the N9, not the N9 itself."
What's the point? The N9 is as disruptive as they come. A disruptive device is something that changes peoples attention from something that is to something new, or is perceived as new. Clearly the N9 has changed peoples attention away from Symbian, away from Android, away from WP and away from iOS and toward the N9 and Nokia.

A disruption kicks in all directions. What is the point of disruption when Nokia is going Microsoft?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by phedders View Post
Hmm, Elop green-lighting a MeeGo skunkworks team disconnected from Nokia?
This looks interesting. Also, someone said earlier in the thread that red and black -> opposite of Nokia colors.

Also, since Microsoft will definitely disallow making a swipe UI for WP7 this looks like a sensible decision, instead of simply canning Nokia's R&D.

Should the N9 be a hit, and Nokia's WP7 spectacularly fail, they'll likely ride the wave and start making successors to the N9.

Finally, they'll hopefully not pull a Nokia and close-source everything that stops up from porting the UI to other devices, or simply fixing what's broken on ours.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What about elop realized that he can't push the issues he wants with ms/win7 and are not able to differentiate nokia products. So he starting on this new company to kick down doors and give free hands to keep producing meego devices. That way he dont break his word about no more meego from nokia.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Cassio View Post
From this memo it seems that the Meltemi organization and the WP organization are two different things.
If you really want to be conspiratorial, then it should be noted that meltemi is a wind.

The list of winds includes some other famous ones, like Chinook, Diablo, Elephanta, Fremantle and Harmattan

Last edited by bergie; 2011-07-11 at 10:47.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:

Tags
fusion garage, grid 10, internet tablet, move along, nothing to see, tabco, tablet talk, whoistabco